mothers

by Hortensia 9 Replies latest jw friends

• Hortensia
    Hortensia

someone in one of these threads said his mother was cool, although a JW mother. It made me think more about my mother. She was a die-hard JW, but not to the point of rejecting her unbelieving and/or disfellowshipped children. She kept in touch with all of us. She did weird things like watching my wedding through the church window because she couldn't go inside a church, but at least she went to the wedding. She always felt she wasn't a good mother and in some ways I agree. However, she did some neat things. For instance, we used to walk to the library every week, a good half hour or more walk one way. We pulled a cart and we were allowed to check out as many books as we wanted. She never checked to see what we were reading, so I read all sorts of things. She was busy picking out her own books to read. I think she was smart - she kept us tired from all the walking, and we had loads of books to read all the time. She could talk about anything, and was interested in many things. She was also a little mountain goat and like camping, walking, and especially going to the beach. We spent a lot of time at the beach. So, thanks Mom, for some good memories. She died just before christmas in 2001, a faithful JW to the last.

• SuperApostateGirl
    SuperApostateGirl

You'd love my mother she's on this site! Good Times....My mother is an Apostate and to think she used to be a crazy Pioneer ( Not the Laura Engles kind)

• Hortensia
    Hortensia

Hi superapostate girl - who is your mother? Yes, the best kind of pioneer is a former pioneer. Good for your mother.

• Hope4Others
    Hope4Others

slowly raises hand.....

• SuperApostateGirl
    SuperApostateGirl

Aw Mom! I fricken pissin my pants I'm laughing so hard at your dumb hand!

• BFD
    BFD

Hortensia, I have a cool mom, too. At least I used to. Even though I was DF'd in the late 70's she did not let the borg get between us. We used to do some of the same fun things you mentioned. Museums, shopping, camping, hiking, white water rafting, cruises, we spent a lot of time together. Very new age in a lot of ways. She even lived with me and my lover for a period when she seperated from my dad. We bought her a 4 door car for pioneering. It really was all good.

Out of the blue in 1997 she sent me a letter drawing a line in the sand. I still don't know who or how her thinking got "adjusted". Maybe they threatened her with DF I don't know. I do try to call her but, I get tired of hearing "you turned your back on Jehovah" as it always leads to an arguement. I love her and I miss her but she is just too commited to the WT$ and at her age (77 this year in Sept) what's the point in trying to get her out. That was never a goal of mine anyway. She was happy with her faith. I want her to be happy. My last conversation with her was heart wrenching to hear the disappointment in her voice. She is not happy anymore but she knows nothing else. Her words, "I want to live forever and this is the only way I know how." I just wish it could be the way it used to be before she lost the ability to think for herself.

Fucking cult!

BFD

• Hortensia
    Hortensia

That's so sad. I know what you mean. I never wanted to change my mother's mind. It's a free country, she could believe what she wanted. I'm glad she didn't shun us, though, even though our relationship wasn't exactly warm and cozy. She died before anyone talked her into rejecting us the way so many parents have done, according to what I read on this forum. I'm sorry you can't talk with your mother now and then. She'd be happier if she just gave in and maintained a relationship with you.

Hope4others, you are a mom too, aren't you? I imagine you're one of the cool ones! Otherwise you wouldn't be on this forum. The viewpoint here is just too liberal, for the most part, for an uncool mom to hang out!

• Hortensia
    Hortensia

Oh, the penny dropped. Superapostategirl must be H4O's kid. I'm slow on the uptake.

• Sparkplug
    Sparkplug

Hey there Hortensia. It may have taken me a long time to get to this point with my mom, but she was pretty cool in some areas. Like what you said here, "We pulled a cart and we were allowed to check out as many books as we wanted. She never checked to see what we were reading, so I read all sorts of things." She was that way. I could read all that I wanted. Strange to see her now in a nursing home an working on a coloring book. It is a bit odd. She has started this group that is not JW based and they keep her active and kind of work like therapy. She is so VERY different with my kids than she was with me. Odd, how she has made great strides as regards to them. If anything JW comes up, she kind of just backs away from me. Quiet about it, but she really is upset about the apostate thinking. lol

• Hortensia
    Hortensia

my mother and I came to an agreement - I told her I just didn't want to hear anything about the Bible and she said OK. And that was that, except for every now and then a little statement about how near the end was...it turned out her end was nearer than we thought and I was glad I took the high road both in maintaining contact with her and maintaining my boundaries.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit