Postcard from Australia

by ozziepost 6 Replies latest jw friends

• ozziepost
    ozziepost

G'day all,

Strong gale force winds and storms have been lashing the coast of New South Wales for the past two weeks bringing unseasonally cool to cold weather. The bush fires that had been burning throughout the state's interior have been extinguished. Now the State Government has had to react to the new storm damage disaster and the State Emergency Service has been working around the clock for the past week to repair and cover damaged roofs. For a couple of days a large area of Sydney was without power.

The January 1st issue of The Watchtower was received with the usual interest. What of the many decreases? The most common reaction by the Witnesses is that it's a further indication of the fast-approaching end of this system.

Elders are exchanging news of the forthcoming Kingdom Ministry School. "Have you got your invitation?" and so on are questions being exchanged.

Australia reported a 1% decrease in publishers for the third consecutive year imitating the British branch's similar report. At the same time, Australia's population is reported in The Watchtower to have risen from 19 million exactly (!) in 1999 to 19,277,104 meaning that the ratio of publishers to population has gone from 1:310 in 1999 to 1:321 in 2001.

Further disquieting statistics are that the penetration into the general community is slipping so that Bible Studies have dropped from 19,302 last year to 18,942. Pioneers, too, have dropped from 5,526 last year to 5,020. The total number of hours for the year has dropped from 9,900,463 to 9,514,957.

Whilst reading through the latest report, your correspondent could not help but remember how so many totalitarian, controlling organisations like to keep statistics, even of their incriminating misdeeds. We may recall the detailed statistics that the Nazi regime kept of its concentration camp operations. Other regimes like the Romanian communist government, too, left a trail of incriminating evidence. In this week's issue of Time magazine we can read of the detailed records left behind by the Taliban government in Kabul.

I wonder if the WTS is coming to the realisation that this record keeping that they have carried out so diligently over the years may turn out to be an albatross around its neck?

Cheers,
    Ozzie

"It's better to light a candle than to curse the darkness."
    Anonymous

• Had Enough
    Had Enough

Mornin' correspondant Ozzie:

Thank you for your interesting details in your postcard. I hope you and Mrs. Ozzie are fairing well and intact in the nasty weather you've been having there.

And thank you for your update on Aussie WTS statistics. That was an interesing comparison made of the WTS record-keeping obsession with that of other totallitarian organisations like the Nazis, the Romanian communist regime and the Taliban government. And it truly is heartwarming to see the numbers taking the direction they are. It looks good on them.

My regards to Mrs.Ozzie!

Keep chippin' away everybody....its working!!!!

Had Enough

"Never doubt that a small group of citizens can change the world.
    Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."
    ...Margaret Mead

• BATHORY
    BATHORY

G'day ozzi

ive ofen said to the old cheese, " in the 10 years we have been in this cong, ( eg : parramatta )how many new folk have we seen join the ranks " ??

Really there may have been 1 or 2 blokes in per year, and maybe 1 or 2 blokes get excreted per year......where is this increase that the org is goin on about ( other than in bloody mexico and russia )

Hmmm.....

• Stephanus
    Stephanus

Good news there, Ozzie. How're things holding together down there on the Southern Tablelands?

Apparently my Dubs were out this week, but they didn't call on us. Was it something I said?? Come on Bulli Congregation, if you've got the Truth, you've got nothing to fear from a soft, sweet, innocent sweetheart of a guy like me!

"You've got the brain of a four-year-old boy, and I'll bet he was glad to get rid of it."
    - Groucho Marx

• hillary_step
    hillary_step

Hi Ozzie,

Thank you for your post.

I questioned a mutual friend as to the decreasing publisher and service time figures in Australia.

He suggested the fact that you 'Can't tell an Australian what to do' was behind many problems in the Australian field.

Australians do not obey orders! It seems that a growing number of JW's are becoming Australian - at least in attitude!

Best regards -- HS

• Prisca
    Prisca

Hi HS,

Yes, us Aussies have a "bad attitude" when it comes to authority, especially when it comes from a bunch of old guys in expensive suits who (gasp!) live in America!!!

Looking at the 1 Jan WT it's interesting seeing the number of Western countries that have had decreases. Maybe the Aussie attitude against authority has been spreading?

• zerubberballs
    zerubberballs

G'day BATHORY,

You're part of the problem. When you gonna get off your glutamus maximus and become a full time pioneer? Merry Christmas Bro ... and i sincerly hope you have some good family downtime. Having a golden gaytime at Balmoral beach was great the other day.

cheers, unclebruce who recons Australians can be brainwashed just as easy as the next boofhead

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit