Have you been introduced?

by IP_SEC 9 Replies latest jw friends

• IP_SEC
    IP_SEC

To Terrence McKenna? I believe him one of the greatest philosophers of the late 20th.

The apocalypse is not something which is coming. The apocalypse has arrived in major portions of the planet and it's only because we live within a bubble of incredible privilege and social insulation that we still have the luxury of anticipating the apocalypse. If you go to Bosnia or Somalia or Peru or much of the third-world then it appears that the apocalypse has already arrived.

Animals are something invented by plants to move seeds around. An extremely yang solution to a peculiar problem which they faced.

Ego is a structure that is erected by a neurotic individual who is a member of a neurotic culture against the facts of the matter. And culture, which we put on like an overcoat, is the collectivized consensus about what sort of neurotic behaviors are acceptable.

A lot of people pass through the thinking I'm a guru and take enough trips to understand that no, I was just a witness. I was just a witness.

Conspiracy theory, in my humble opinion, is a kind of epistemological cartoon about reality. I believe that the truth of the matter is far more terrifying, that the real truth that dare not speak itself is that no one is in control, absolutely no one. This stuff is ruled by the equations of dynamics and chaos. There may be entities seeking control, but to seek control is to take enormous aggravation upon yourself. It's like trying to control a dream.

If you believe something, you're automatically precluded from believing in the opposite, which means that a degree of your human freedom has been forfeited in the act of this belief.

It's strange — you know, the Net is denounced as austere, the product of the engineering mentality, so forth and so on. It's the most feminine influence that Western civilization has ever allowed itself to fall under the spell of.

Let us declare nature to be legitimate. All plants should be declared legal, and all animals for that matter. The notion of illegal plants and animals is obnoxious and ridiculous.

• Casper
    Casper

The apocalypse is not something which is coming. The apocalypse has arrived in major portions of the planet and it's only because we live within a bubble of incredible privilege and social insulation that we still have the luxury of anticipating the apocalypse. If you go to Bosnia or Somalia or Peru or much of the third-world then it appears that the apocalypse has already arrived.

If you believe something, you're automatically precluded from believing in the opposite, which means that a degree of your human freedom has been forfeited in the act of this belief.

Awesome statements.... !

Thanks for sharing.

Cas

• Crumpet
    Crumpet

Philosopher, social commentator, comedian.

Some gems in there.

• IP_SEC
    IP_SEC
    comedian.

YES if you listen to some of his talks he was very funny.

• Greensleeves
    Greensleeves

You really need to be introduced to Ayn Rand and her philosophy of Objectivism. Go to your local library and check out the book "Anthem". It will give you a new perspective on JW teachings.

I have trouble taking the quotes you posted seriously. The guy sounds so fake and he makes obvious observance sound like an art form. That is why people listen to him. Because he is a fake and a schister. If you find any deep meaning in his ramblings, then you are a fool in my opinion.

• IP_SEC
    IP_SEC
    If you find any deep meaning in his ramblings, then you are a fool in my opinion.

I must be a fool then. I've even seemed to find some meaning in your ramblings.

• quietlyleaving
    quietlyleaving

very interesting IP - thanks for the introduction

edit: - what a guy

• DanTheMan
    DanTheMan
    it's only because we live within a bubble of incredible privilege and social insulation that we still have the luxury of anticipating the apocalypse.

"luxury"?? Horror is more like it.

• Greensleeves
    Greensleeves

I was going to quote some of the things you put up there. But won't.

Honestly, I am just discovering the works of Ayn Rand. But compared to the philosopher you are quoting, I think she has to be more valid. I am no expert, but what I have found is facinating.

She died in the 80's, but she has a ton of books in print. She started writing in the 30's immediately after leaving Communist Russia. Atlas Shrugged is a novel that began her Philosophy of Objectivism. A good overview of her Philosophy can be found with a simple search on Wikipedia.

I read her small book Anthem, and it tells the story of a man who was born into a society where there was no "individual". There was only the "collective". He had to fight against that mentality. It is a well written book, and only 105 pages. The band Rush wrote a song named "2112" based on this book in 1976. If you have any interest in real Philosophy, check this shit out man. It is still debated among professors and intellectuals, if that makes it more valid to you. I doubt anyone debates the stuff your guy spews. Sorry for my rudness.

• Greensleeves
    Greensleeves

I am going to do some research on Terrence Mckenna and see what his philosophy is about.

I apollogize for hijacking your thread and saying my philosopher is better than yours. That wasn't right. I really shouldn't say anything untill I do some research.

Thanks for starting this thread and getting people thinking.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit