Early Christians

by ZeroZen 4 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• ZeroZen
    ZeroZen

Iam just wondering if JW's believe they are practicing their religion as Christians of 2000 years ago. Would the early Christians still follow some of the Jewish traditions such as Passover and other Religous Holidays? Jesus did die a Jew ?

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips

ZeroZen:

Would the early Christians still follow some of the Jewish traditions such as Passover and other Religous Holidays?

There were several Christian communities in the 1st Century. The Christians of Jewish ethnicity did follow Jewish customs. Gentile Christians did not. However the base of Jewish Christanity, Jerusalem, was wiped out by the Roman armies and their customs faded out. A large part of doctrinal controversy and definition in the first decades was of defining whether or not Gentile Christians were required to keep mitzvot. (Acts 15:1-35 and others).

BTS

• hamilcarr
    hamilcarr

Jesus not only celebrated the biblical holidays, but according to the Gospel also travelled to Jerusalem in the winter to celebrate Chanukkah, a Jewish winter soltice celebration.

• XJW4EVR
    XJW4EVR
    The Christians of Jewish ethnicity did follow Jewish customs.

This is very true. James tells the recipients of his letter to not be impressed with rich people when they came into their synagouge (James 2:2). Sadly, this was not translated into English until the newer translations were published.

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips
    I wish you the best; some "house-church" people are almost as bad as JWs

Trust me, I know.

BTS

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit