Demons and inanimate objects

by TheListener 7 Replies latest jw friends

• TheListener
    TheListener

In another thread VM44 asked if there was any biblical precedent to a demon attaching itself to an inanimate object.

No one answered on that thread yet. I don't recall any such thing being in the Bible.

Does anyone have a scripture that shows the demons can attach or demonize an inanimate object?

If not, then it really does seem plausible that the WTS are using the demons just like other religions may use hellfire. Scare tactic.

• Lady Zombie
    Lady Zombie

The Dubs love to scare themselves silly with demons and they naughty things they do.

And don't forget, the demons especially love to go after JWs! In fact, that makes up 99.9% of a demon's time; chasing JWs around.

• Awakened07
    Awakened07

At least, a quick search through the Bible online for "evil spirit" and "demon" gives nothing when it comes to inanimate objects.

Actually, "evil spirits" seemed to frequently come from another source than you'd expect in the OT.

But, if there's one thing I've learned, it's not to trust what it says at face value (there's always a
    context and an interpretation of a Hebrew word), so I probably shouldn't even have mentioned it.

• TheListener
    TheListener

I searched various Christian sites online. It seems that most christians do not feel that inanimate objects can be demon posessed. Some fundamentalists do.

I found the following information in a christian discussionf forum. The information comes from the book Protecting Your Home From Spiritual Darkness by Chuck Pierce.

ddDeuteronomy 5:6'I am the Lord your God who brought you out of the land of Egypt, out of the house of bondage. 7 'You shall have no other gods before Me. 8 'You shall not make for yourself a carved image--any likeness of anything that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth; 9 you shall not bow down to them nor serve them. For I, the Lord your God, am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children to the third and fourth generations of those who hate Me, 10 but showing mercy to thousands, to those who love Me and keep My commandments.

Acts 19:18And many who had believed came confessing and telling their deeds. 19 Also, many of those who had practiced magic brought their books together and burned them in the sight of all.

He reminds us of the story of Rachel in Genesis 31,dying young "because" of the idols she stole and hid, and the story in Joshua 7of Israel's defeat in the battle of Ai because Achan took and hid forbidden objects after being specifically instructed by God not to do so.

The scriptural support appears somewhat strained. A separate poster said this about the presented scriptural evidence:

Mr. Pierce is flat out wrong. All the examples you listed were examples of idolatry or blatant disobedience coupled with covetiousness. It was the actions of the person that caused the problem, not the object itself.

Deuteronomy 5discusses idolatry.

Rachel died because she stole idols with the intent of worshiping them. Also, the curse came from her husband, not from a demon or a society. Also, to further destroy Mr. Pierce's use of this verse to buttress his point, notice that Rachel died DESPITE having removed the idols, cleansed herself, and building an altar

It was the condition of Rachel's heart in relation to the idols that caused the curse to come true.

[*]Demons can and do inhabit inanimate objects

I find no scripture stating anything like that.

[*]Destroying objects can free your household and your family from demonic influence

Again, the object is not what causes the presence of a demon, it is the action of the person. When we resist the devil, (not when we go through the house destroying inanimate objects) he flees.

James 4:7to "Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil, and he will flee from you."

I'll post more if I come across it. Has anyone searched the WT CD rom? It may provide some insight on what the WTS uses to back up their inanimate demonization belief.

• AGuest
    AGuest

May you have peace!

Spirit beings (i.e., daemons) are living beings (albeit, not terrestrial - physical) and so while they can and do inhabit ("possess") living (animate) things (i.e., humans, animals, and plants), they do not inhabit inanimate objects. Not even the "bad" spirits ("demons") do.

The "tale" that demons possess inanimate objects is false, a lie, which lie was initiated and perpetuated for, to name a couple/few, the following reasons:

1. The ignorance [of the truth about spirits, the spirit realm, God, Christ, Satan, etc.] and, therefore, resultant superstition of those who live(d) in fear... of pretty much everything (particularly spirits, the spirit realm, God, Christ, Satan, Death, the "unknown," etc.)

2. The Adversary and other "bad" spirits, who use whatever they can to mislead, control, dissuade, and shipwreck the faith of earthling man, including the chosen (anointed) ones, including using fear (of God, "demons"... death... the unknown...)

4. Hateful humans who have no true regard for their fellowman, who recognize that they can use such "tales" to satiate their thirst for power, by using them to control, enslave, and dominate those who fall into Item 1

3. Those (including spirit beings) who really just like to see earthling man "tremble in fear"... and laugh when we do...

Don't get me wrong, a supposed "demon-possessed" [inanimate] object CAN have power over a person, in the same manner as Satan and "bad" spirits (demons) have such power: when we give it to them. The truth is that none of these, including Satan, have any real power. On their own, they are impotent. However, they are given "power"... by means of the fear they create... which result in control and accompanying bondage. That's because when one gives oneself over to fear... one gives oneself over to be controlled. By whatever... or whoever... it is such one fears.

Some would say that this also applies to God and Christ, but I would argue that it does not. I would argue that any "control" that God and Christ have over a person is the result of that person knowingly and understandingly giving themself over to God and Christ... to be controlled. This is a conscious choice, not a consequence of fear. And why would such one do this? Simple: love. And love... casts fear... outside. As a result, such one comes to fear... nothing... and no one. Not even God or Christ. Because they come to know that God... and Christ... are not to be feared... but loved.

This is contrary to what most teach about God; however, they need only look at Christ to know that it is true. Because HE (and NOT the Bible)... is the image of God, the reflection of God's very being. HE... came to "bear witness to the TRUTH... about God... so that if you see HIM... you see God. And if you truly see Christ... not merely perceive him... or believe in him... but SEE him... you see that there is absolutely nothing... nothing... to fear.

Fear enslaves. Fear binds. Christ... sets free. Therefore, if you know Christ... i.e., if you KNOW the Truth... he, the Truth (John 14:6), Christ... as the Son... will set YOU... free. And if HE sets you free... you will truly BE free. From fear... and from [everlasting] death.

I bid you peace... and ears to hear... the Spirit and the Bride, who to this day KEEP saying:

"Come! Take 'life's water'... FREE!"

A slave of Christ,

SA

• NeonMadman
    NeonMadman

I do believe that the concept of evil spirits attaching themselves to inanimate objects is part and parcel of the religion of Voodoo. You surely won't find the concept in the Bible. I thought JW's had done away with all pagan doctrines?

• VoidEater
    VoidEater

In my reading I have never found a case of demon possession involving inanimate objects.

EDIT: should have said "Bible reading".

• M.J.
    M.J.

Hmmm...maybe they can inhabit pork chops?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit