Screw Stereo Sound... I Bought a Quadrophonic 8-track Player!

by Nosferatu 5 Replies latest jw friends

• Nosferatu
    Nosferatu

Wow, this is REALLY trippy and cool! I'm sitting here listening to Bachman Turner Overdrive in true discreet quadrophonic sound! I finally got myself a player today at a thrift store for $6.

Any other audiophiles from the 1970s have quad equipment?

• Sway
    Sway

Had one when I was kid. You can still find them in thrift stores, but finding a tape that still works is the hard part.

• gaiagirl
    gaiagirl

How many 8 track titles were ever released in true 4 tracks-per-channel sound, anyway. Come to think of it, that would make the tape a 16 track, not 8 track. I suppose "Quadrophenia" by the Who would be an obvious pick.
    I believe modern "surround sound" technology allows pretty much the same experience, essentially using a different method to reach a similar place.

• Don Cameron
    Don Cameron

I bought a JVC Quadraphonic tuner/amplifier about 1968. It has been used almost every day since. And it still sounds great!

Don

• Nosferatu
    Nosferatu

- "finding a tape that still works is the hard part."

I fix all my own tapes. Finding one in perfect condition is quite rare. I usually have to replace the splice, replace the pressure pads, and sometimes break out a piece of plastic that was *supposed* to prevent tape jamming, but actually made it worse. I can't remember the last time I had an 8-track get eaten on me, and I play them quite regularly.

- "How many 8 track titles were ever released in true 4 tracks-per-channel sound, anyway."

Here's a list of all the known ones:

http://www.8trackheaven.com/quad-tape-list.html

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

My mom came home from work one day and said her store was having this big electronic sale and with her discount she could save 50 % one something, "What do you want?" We asked for a stereo. She brought home a panasonic quad system. I rememer having Moody Blues On the Thresh hold of a Dream and a Uriah Heep tape. I think it was Demons and Wizards. We hung the speakers in all four corners of my brother's room. It was a huge bedroom and we brought all our friends up there to party.

What a trippy memory. Andy bought a panasonic 8 track receiver off ebay. We loved the warm sound. We hooked a record phonograph through it and sometimes our DVD player. The sound was so great. But the 8 track part of it broke.

One thing I didn't like about 8 track tapes is that sometimes, on a long song, the tape would change tracks in the middle of the song. It would continue in the next track, but often times some would be edited out.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit