Traveling Overseers (Cars, benefits, etc.)

by nbernat 19 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• DaCheech
    DaCheech

P.S.

there was a time when the elders would ask me to round UP the $$$ submitted in the expense report to make it look healthier and good for them.

• blondie
    blondie

The CO submits an expense report to the elders shortly at the end of his visit. The elders then draw up a resolution detailing the expenses and the total and read it to the congregation usually at the announcement portion of the next service meeting. After a baptized jw moves and another seconds the motion, the congregation does a hand vote on it. Then the accounts servant reimburses the CO/DO.

*** km 2/94 p. 2 Question Box ***

What procedure should be followed when presenting resolutions to the congregation?

A resolution is required when a decision must be made about important matters such as purchasing property, remodeling or building a Kingdom Hall, sending special contributions to the Society, or caring for the circuit overseer’s expenses. It is usually best to present a resolution for approval each time congregation funds are dispensed.

As an exception, the congregation might resolve once to contribute a specific amount each month to the Society in addition to what each individual is contributing toward the worldwide preaching work already. Also, normal Kingdom Hall operating expenses, such as utilities and cleaning supplies, do not require a resolution.

When a need becomes evident, the body of elders should discuss the matter thoroughly. If the majority are in agreement that something needs to be done, one of the elders, perhaps a member of the Congregation Service Committee, should prepare a written resolution for presentation at the Service Meeting.

The elder acting as chairman should briefly but clearly explain the need that exists and what the body of elders recommends to care for it. The congregation is then given opportunity to ask pertinent questions. If the matter is complicated, it may be best to delay the vote until the next Service Meeting to give everyone time to think about it. The actual vote is taken by a show of hands.

Voting on the resolution is limited to dedicated and baptized members of the congregation unless legal requirements direct otherwise, as may be the case when corporation matters or Kingdom Hall loans are involved. It would not be appropriate for visitors from other congregations to participate.

After the resolution has been approved, it should be dated, signed, and placed in the congregation file.

• AllTimeJeff
    AllTimeJeff

4 years ago, the US branch sent a letter to all CO's saying that they shouldn't be dropping hints about their need for money and trust that Jehovah would take care of them. Now of course, we have these rumors that the CO position will be at least consolidated if not eliminated. I am sure these guys were first to hear the rumors. And yeah, both CO's and DO's purposely cultivate friendships with those who can help them financially. This is the worst kept secret in the entire borganization. There are always going to be well to do elders that get special priveliges and talks at assemblies that normally wouldn't get those unless their reputation preceeded them about the "help" they provide.

After 15 years, a CO/DO are considered tenured. Generally, they can count on being taken care of the rest of their lives. (unless that will change to) For those who have under 15 years and have to leave, they are generally on their own. Missionaries got a letter just before I left Cameroon that changed the health care. 1-5 years had to contribute a percentage of their weekly/monthly stipend. 6-10 years were less, 11-15 were less, and 15 years and up didn't have to contribute at all.

The CO missionary I was with in Cameroon often complained about the fact that he had to buy and take care of his own car, esp knowing the rich US CO's didn't have to, and here he was sweating his ass off in a 3rd world country with no realistic expectation of support from the poor congregations of Africa. This will be good for him. (up till now, only the US got free cars for the CO's..... Coincidentally, top shelf Bethelites got them as well....)

• MinisterAmos
    MinisterAmos

I have always found it interesting that the voting (Witnesses voting?) for expense resolutions was done by a show of hands, openly and in front of all, while everything else is done in private (donations, etc)

Peer pressure?

• nbernat
    nbernat

I was about to open a thread about that Minister. Lol.

• Vachi 8 He Is
    Vachi 8 He Is

So basically unlike pastors who take some off the top, the motion is made and then approved by a show of hands. "Sure dude, you can take the money that we put in the voluntary donation box, even though you haven't done jack differently than any other person up in this joint. Cool beans."

• DaCheech
    DaCheech
    I have always found it interesting that the voting (Witnesses voting?) for expense resolutions was done by a show of hands, openly and in front of all, while everything else is done in private (donations, etc)

Peer pressure?

I have always been afraid of voting "No" but there have been times when I did not raise my hands

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

They can complain all they want about the dinky allowance. I have one question? Do they produce or create that $50 of value for society per month? I bet they don't produce or create even one penny of value. Therefore, they do not deserve even one penny.

I never gave any "green handshake" to the hounder-hounder. The simple reason is that he didn't give me any value whatsoever by hounding me. So I didn't give him any value in the form of money.

• nbernat
    nbernat

Yeah I've always wanted to vote no but the peer pressure does it.

• truthlover
    truthlover

Blondie- you are very well informed, I have watched your comments for some time now and they are right on.. the letter was read tonight at our meeting, that $4.00 per pub would be given to cover expenses - car, insurance, dental, etc.. back 3 years -- of course a show of hands, with no dissent...

I knew of the co cutback to come but this was a little discouraging to say the least.. with all these changes, it makes one wonder

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit