Jesus, Metaphor, and Allegory...

by Abaddon 9 Replies latest jw friends

• Abaddon
    Abaddon

... are three small towns in Kansas.

Well, they could be.

I saw an episode of this Australian sci-fi series called 'Farscape' a while back. In it one of the main characters gets mistaken for a god on this planet he's stranded on. Although he loved the adulation, it all got very nasty when they realised he wasn't a god after all.

It made me think. Being a King is far better than being a god. If you are a King, it's quite unlikely anyone will nail your son to a tree, and no one really expects you to do the miracle shit, or at least are unlikely to burn you if you can't.

This is not the case with gods. How many people have been hoist by their own metaphor I wonder? I mean, if you say you have a direct line to god, people are going to complain directly to you.

All nice Christians look away, the following scene may disturb you. Dumb-ass Christians can get insulted as much they like.

A hillside, dusk.

Three crosses/stakes are silhouetted against a glorious red sunset.

A plaintive voice is heard;

"For fucks sake, the stuff about son-of-god was an allegory you morons, get these fucking nails out of my hands!"

Of course, it probably didn't happen that way... I've no problem with Jesus being historical as he may have been. I actually quite like the idea of a historical Jesus, as he seemed quite cool.

But we don't really know what he meant or said. Not even the most rabid repetition of unfounded claims of the Bible’s inspiration will prove we have a documentary account of Jesus’ life.

Maybe he actually said ‘son of god’, sure, but only had that taken literally by people who wanted him dead, or people by ‘re-interpreting the past with a profound lack of history’ (name that song and the artist for ten points).

Maybe what he meant was that we all have this light inside that burns without fuel or flame.

Of course, he might have been a spittle-flecked nut-job, but I quite like the idea of him being a visionary, I like the idea of him being a megalomaniac considerably less.

For we are all 'sons of god', men and women, atheists, agnostics, animists, monotheists and pantheists all. Even fundies and dubs, bless their closed little minds...

Why? How? Well I do not mean we are sons of some external entity.

I mean we can conceive things beyond 'this mortal coil'. The language we use (as in speech, not English) has immortality coiled within its words. A handful of words can span centuries, from Shakespeare to today, from 'Yesterday' until that song is as ancient as Shakespeare’s words are today, yet still remaining as fresh as Shakespeare’s words are now and will be then.

Different words, different songs, different people, yes...

But every one of us is a son of god. Some find meaning in old books, but you can find meaning anywhere. In an Australian sci-fi episode, for instance.

Language is undeniably powerful… 'Poets, priests and politicians, all have words to thank for their position' (name that song and artist for ten). But 'Everybody in the world has their own song in their heads, the best songs ever. Problem is figuring a way to get them out and present them to others' (name the album these sleeve notes appear on for a big bonus).

And no matter what noise the poets, priest and politicians make, no matter how busy your everyday life is, make time to hear that song inside, even if it's faint. Even if you have to close your eyes and listen with every fibre of your being so you can make out what it is.

Then feed it, cherish it, stick it on your banner, draw a line in the sand and say "Thus far, no further."

‘Live your life and be free’ – name the artist who said that for another big bonus.

This has been a partly political broadcast on behalf of the stoned hippie party.

People living in glass paradigms shouldn't throw stones...

• Julie
    Julie

Hi Abaddon,

A delightful read. I am afraid I cannot score any of your bonus points as I've been up only a little while, have taken plenty of drugs lately for recent dental trauma, and am horribly lazy so will not look into it. ;-)

Though I thought you generously included lots of pearls of wisdom I am especially fond of this one:

:And no matter what noise the poets, priest and politicians make, no matter how busy your everyday life is, make time to hear that song inside, even if it's faint. Even if you have to close your eyes and listen with every fibre of your being so you can make out what it is.

:Then feed it, cherish it, stick it on your banner, draw a line in the sand and say "Thus far, no further."

I couldn't agree more. I really didn't wake up to the real world around me till I was about 30--and that is when I first heard the faint rumblings of the song inside. I cannot tell you how glad I am I realized the importance of listening to it.

Many thanks to the "stoned hippie party" for this insightful post. A refreshing change IMO.

Warm regards--
    Julie

• Rex B13
    Rex B13

Science fiction has always provided rich imaginations with many ideas that may or may not be realistic to contemplate. You said:

>All nice Christians look away, the following scene may disturb you. Dumb-ass Christians can get insulted as much they like.

What's the purpose of that display of no compassion? Do you think that your reputation (and respect) improves amongst all here by simply tossing away the opinions of Christians as worthless?

>A hillside, dusk.

"Three crosses/stakes are silhouetted against a glorious red sunset.

A plaintive voice is heard;

"For ____ sake, the stuff about son-of-god was an allegory you morons, get these f__king nails out of my hands!"

Of course, it probably didn't happen that way... I've no problem with Jesus being historical as he may have been. I actually quite like the idea of a historical Jesus, as he seemed quite cool."

Then why blaspheme the Holy One like this?

>But we don't really know what he meant or said. Not even the most rabid repetition of unfounded claims of the Bible’s inspiration will prove we have a documentary account of Jesus’ life.

Oh really? How much have you examined the actual history as recorded from all sources?
    "Evidence that Demands a Verdict" 1 & 2 by Josh McDowall might be a good start if you are serious.
    How much have you actually considered the concepts of Christianity as compared to pantheism and theism?
    "Mere Christianity" and "Miracles" by C. S. Lewis would be a good place to begin if you understand logical concepts

>Maybe he actually said ‘son of god’, sure, but only had that taken literally by people who wanted him dead, or people by ‘re-interpreting the past with a profound lack of history’ (name that song and the artist for ten points).

It's kind of obvious that you have some kind of 'axe to grind' with God but you are really just 'fighting windmills' with your approach. Try not to be so offensive and you might get more serious responses to your postings.
    Rex

• Sirona
    Sirona

Really excellent post, Abaddon.
    I enjoyed it.

Sirona

• Abaddon
    Abaddon

Rex, are you really so closed minded you edit swear-words when you cut and paste? Pedantic prude! That's an observation, by-the-way, not a criticism.

8-)

I chose to ask nice Christian's to look away, as there are some I like. They are the ones who are not puffed up inheritors of the Pharasees mantle, who do not judge, but show a spirit akin to that the Biblical account of their inspiration displays, and are happy to accept that their belief is not a matter that can be proved objectively, but is never-the-less very real to them.

Others are closed-minded, intolerant of dissent, willing to base their beliefs on a 'handful of mumbles' (name that song) and still insist that they are objectively right, and also to judge others' worth as a person.

Now, I have a perfect right to say what I like. Freedom of speech may come as a shock to you, but it is, I suppose, something we take for granted unless we grow up in an environment dominated by religious fundamentalists like, ooo, Afghanistan, or the USA.

But I wanted to emphasise I didn't want to upset sincere nice Christians, as I can think of at least two I wouldn't want to offend accidentally, and letting them know reading on would be possibly a little grating to their sensibilities is nice. If they choose to read on and are offended, well, I respect their rights to their beliefs, I hope they return that, even if my belief does revolve around a sub-Monty Pythonesque parody of reality at times, and feature adult language and nudity whenever possible.

The second group, well, they upset me at times when they exercise their right to say what they like, so why should I care if I upset them?

You ask "Then why blaspheme the Holy One like this?"

BECAUSE I DON'T BELIEVE JESUS IS DIVINE, DUMB ASS!

There is a difference between conceeding Jesus might be based upon a historical character and saying he's the son of god... and I guarantee, if he was a just a mortal visionary, born ahead of his time, and got nailed to a tree for having a big mouth, then he probably was saying "For fucks sake, the stuff about son-of-god was an allegory you morons, get these fucking nails out of my hands!"

Did you miss the point completely, or just overdose on the meanie pills this morning? Did the dog get 'affectionate' with your Turkey, and you not find out until after you were eating it?

Anyway, I doubt very much if you would show what a Muslim or a Hindu would consider respect to their beliefs, and you show little respect for anything other than your own 'light', so all I am doing is as you do. But of course, you have double standards. FUnny, that. But don't worry, underneath it all, you too are a son of god.

Just because I have not read the same books as you does not mean my opinion is invalid. Stick your arguement from authority where the sun don't shine. I have read quite a lot of material, and I am happy to stand by my statement that there is no proof of god, no proof that Jesus was a real person, let alone god's son, no proof the Bible is inspired by god.

Now, one thing I learnt when I walked away from the Dubs, and that is 'D-D-D-D-Don't don't, don't believe the hype' (name that song). Just because someone put it in a book doesn't mean SHIT. If it doesn't make sense, here *points to forehead*, it doesn't matter WHAT book says otherwise.

Now, those books may have convinced you. Good for you. But the arguements within those books, sad to say, are not unique (please correct me and site any unique arguement in those sited texts that is not part of the general plethora of apologism).

The standard plethora of apologism at the most gets me to accept I can't prove god doesn't exist, just as theists cannot prove it does exist.

Take this into account, and my conclusion is either god doesn't care or isn't there, as if he existed and cared it is almost inconceivable it would not people know if it were of any import to our lives, and god demonstrably (or undemonstrably) doesn't let us KNOW... we have to 'believe'. I don't think I have to define the terms of reference of that sentence as regard 'know' vs. 'believe', but please correct me if I am wrong.

In addition to siting books, all you normally do is to quote scriptures. You may as well quote the 'phone book, as, to me, it is just a book. Logical arguement and science are NOT your strong suites, but I do hope you realise that quoting the Bible to prove your beliefs is lame. I used to do it too ("All scriptures is inspired..." ), so I say this out of fellow feeling and sympathy.

You next say;

It's kind of obvious that you have some kind of 'axe to grind' with God but you are really just 'fighting windmills' with your approach. Try not to be so offensive and you might get more serious responses to your postings.
    No axe to grind. If I believed god existed I would be delighted, provided it were a good god (another fatouous assumption made by many theists; assumption of god's goodness is not automatic (even the Bible agrees... "Disguising themselves as an angel of light...", "Judge a tree by its fruits...". This might seem like blasphamy to you, the idea that, IF there is a god, it might not be something you would want to worship. But what greater blasphamy could there be than being given a mind and NOT using it?

I can tell you, if it turns out god does expect us to make a leap of faith to believe in it, and is allowing the world to exist in this state as part of an ineffable plan where human misery counts for little or nothing, then I do hope it can read my mind... as I can't even find the words to express my DISGUST.

If however, god IS good, and there is rhyme and reason (don't try the 'god is clever than you' shit, I can explain complex scientific concepets to my daughters in simplified terms and the eldest is 11), then I'll be chuffed, and gladly bow to it.

But as you comment on initiating factors;

To me, it's obvious you have entrenched psychological conditioning that means, despite the fact you are reasonably intelligent, you are incapable of opening your eyes without first deciding what you are going to see. And as the idea of there being too god is WAY too far out of your envelope, you see god when you open your eyes, even 'feel' an internalised validation you define as 'Holy Spirit'.

The fact others do this same thing, who believe in OTHER gods and believe different things, seems to escape your notice. It's not as though you are evn one of these people who believe there are many ways to god, as you are an exclusivist. Maybe you say they worshipping demons?

If this is your explaination of this seeming contradiction, please tell me, how do I know YOU aren't inspired by demons?

To a certain extent, if you look for god, you find him. But that doesn't make it real!

I suggest, instead of being the mean-spirited bore, you look at the common ground we have...

But I doubt if you can even see it, as when you open your eyes, you've already decided what you are going to see.

Ignore the bonhomie and open heart I posted in and micturate all over it, I really don't care.

Let me sum up in the words of my eight year old daughter - she was actually six when she said this, or just gone seven. And it's not parroting, as to avoid conflict with my x I do not discuss religion with my kids (yet). This is her own conceptualisation;

"Daddy doesn't believe anymore because he thinks it's silly"

Love and peace shine on your days Rex... I mean that, even if you are a pain in the ass...

Hi Julie! Hi Sirona!

(edited for typos and missing paragraph end)

• Rex B13
    Rex B13

Hi Abaddon,
    First of all, you posted it out there bold and with a title that Christians would probably want to read. Acting innocent and trying to justify your offense is not going to cut it.
    You seem to have a real anger problem. You should sit back and read what you wrote to me. I am a REAL PERSON sitting out here and not some opponent for you to call names at a whim. Do you realize that you just wrote a whole page justifying what amounted to an attack on the sensibilities of many people here?
    Yes, I did not use your words in my quote. I think that being vulgar in public is low class and offensive. I don't expect you to think or act as I do. However, I do have the obligation to warn you of (possibly) unintentional judgement you are incurring when you blapheme the one who died on the cross (that we may have life).
    You don't have to believe, not at all, but if you think that the natural world is all and then you die, you have been thoroughly misled.
    When I happen to run across a post that offends me (and others) and lacks common decency, I call it out and that is not going to change.
    Rex

• Rex B13
    Rex B13

Hi Abaddon,

And here is what I consider low class and entirely inappropriate:

"BECAUSE I DON'T BELIEVE JESUS IS DIVINE, DUMB ASS!

There is a difference between conceeding Jesus might be based upon a historical character and saying he's the son of god... and I guarantee, if he was a just a mortal visionary, born ahead of his time, and got nailed to a tree for having a big mouth, then he probably was saying "For fucks sake, the stuff about son-of-god was an allegory you morons, get these fucking nails out of my hands!"

Did you miss the point completely, or just overdose on the meanie pills this morning? Did the dog get 'affectionate' with your Turkey, and you not find out until after you were eating it?

Anyway, I doubt very much if you would show what a Muslim or a Hindu would consider respect to their beliefs, and you show little respect for anything other than your own 'light', so all I am doing is as you do. But of course, you have double standards. FUnny, that. But don't worry, underneath it all, you too are a son of god."

Is this the type of thing that you want to be identified with?
    You just spoke in this manner to another person who has come out of the same misery as you did. How can you lash out at someone that you don't know in this way?
    You might consider this in your future posts. Simon has told all of us (in the past) to keep things civil and the language reasonable in this forum. He recognizes that excesses of 'free speech' can very well give newbies the impression that the Watchtower is right about 'apostates'. Your behavior here is a prime example of this.
    Rex

• Abaddon
    Abaddon

Rex, we are not going to agree are we?

I still think;

1/ you missed the point of the post.
    2/ that you would not show the respect you ask I show your beliefs to other peoples' beliefs (if those beliefs were non-Christian).
    3/ you fail to address any of the points raised in my reply, regarding the double standards some Christians display, freedom of speech, the fact that I don't have to respect your beliefs (although I respect your right to them), the inadequacy of the texts you cited as a counter, or the inspirational status of the Bible.

You seem to equate my conversational style with anger. I suppose I MUST have been angry if YOU say so, as you saying so seems to be your standard of proof!

The fact I was cracking jokes (at your expense) through-out has escaped you. Perhaps you need a greater understanding of comedic styles; irony, sarcasm, the great British 'taking the piss', are not neccesarily done in anger! In fact, it's hard to be ironic or sarcastic if you are angry!

As for lashing out at a person who came through what I did, well, I posted something stressing the value of the individual, and you lashed out at me.

If I had done the same thing but used another religions' icon as the key element in a pastiche, you wouldn't of cared, would you? Wow!

Holy moral highground batman!

Seriously, I think you take me the wrong way, but I don't think ill of you for it.

Love and peace (and that's genuine, not sarcasm)

• Satanus
    Satanus

Amen brother abaddon

'Maybe what he meant was that we all have this light inside that burns without fuel or flame.' very coool

If jesus was real, if he said those things, their meaning was further obscured by the incomprehending writers. Having studied general spiritualism, i can spot the tremendous enlightenment spoken about in some of the words ascribed to jesus. Contrary to the antichrist charges leveled against me, i applaude many words credited to jesus. His selfproclaimed followers are another kettle of fish entirely. Most of their posts state that i have reached my conclusions because there is something wrong w me. It's sort of a continuation of my last judicial committee meeting. But i understand that judgementalism because i had it for years as a jw, and then for a while as a christian. I know 'jesus' didn't have it.

SS

• Abaddon
    Abaddon

Actually, I think philosophically, I am a Christian; although I don't believe in god, or (obviously as it follows) in the divinity of Jesus, I think the basic principles are quite good.

I don't see a contradiction in this; a psychiatrist might describe himself as 'Jungian'; it doesn't mean he believes everything Jung wrote, but means it is the viewpoint he approaches things from.

Of course, I make no pretence at being 'perfect', and obviously can fall short of ideals that I am philosophically attracted to.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit