Examples of men carrying water in Bible times or before

by The Nothing Man 5 Replies latest jw friends

• The Nothing Man
    The Nothing Man

I am looking for any examples, whether they be written in the Bible or in other 'ancient' sources, of men carring water. (Other than the man carrying a pitcher of water at Luke 22) I am trying to back up a claim that said 'In ancient times, no man ever carried water'.

I know I can pick the brains of you fine intelligent people! Many thanks.

• Gordy
    Gordy

One example comes to mind at 2 Sam 23:16

So the three mighty men broke through the Philistine lines, drew water from the well near the gate of Bethlehem and carried it back to David. But he refused to drink it; instead, he poured it out before the LORD.

It depends whether you mean that a man just carries water for his own needs or does it for domestic purposes. Some cultures today the men will not carry water if its for domestic purposes, like cooking or washing. You can see this on programs that show you the women having to walk miles to get water, but you very rarely see the men doing it.

• The Nothing Man
    The Nothing Man

Thanks for that example. Do you know of any where the men get water for domestic needs?

• Gordy
    Gordy

Having done a quick search of references to water in scripture most deal with women fetching water.

The odd one does mention men such as :

Ex 2:19 They answered, "An Egyptian rescued us from the shepherds. He even drew water for us and watered the flock."

This is the occasion when Moses came across the women being harrassed at the well. It comes across as a surprise to them that he "even" drew water from the well for them.

Lev 15:13 'When a man is cleansed from his discharge, he is to count off seven days for his ceremonial cleansing; he must wash his clothes and bathe himself with fresh water, and he will be clean

Here the man has to wash his clothes. Whether you would call this "domestic" or "ritual" washing as it was part of the Law.

Ruth 2:9 "Watch the field where the men are harvesting, and follow along after the girls. I have told the men not to touch you. And whenever you are thirsty, go and get a drink from the water jars the men have filled

Here it mentions that "the jars the men have filled" as they were working in the fields and they would need water to drink.

But otherwise as far as I could see in scripture it was always the woman that did the water carrying.

This continues today usually in Eastern and African cultures.

Though I have known a couple of Western men who the idea of even filling a kettle for a cup of tea was NOT mens work.

• The Nothing Man
    The Nothing Man

Haha nice last sentence. Many thanks for your research; it will help me to dispell the myths and lies of a so called 'expert' in a lecture I recently heard. Your help is invaluable, I just can't do all the research myself.

• Tired of the Hypocrisy
    Tired of the Hypocrisy

Ex 2:19 They answered, "An Egyptian rescued us from the shepherds. He even drew water for us and watered the flock."

This is the occasion when Moses came across the women being harrassed at the well. It comes across as a surprise to them that he "even" drew water from the well for them.

And since JW's all view Moses as the Archetype for Jesus, and all men must use Jesus as their model then it must logically follow that men MUST carry water. Especially after Jesus carried around a basin of water and washed the feet of his followers....

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit