Saul and David: Two Concurrent "Annointed" Channels

by Justitia Themis 3 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Justitia Themis
    Justitia Themis

This is an excerpt from a JW email that was posted in another thread:

I believe it is completely inappropriate for a Christian to go against what the FDS says, because they are the anointed of Jehovah. King Saul here, he was evil, he was a person who was detestable in the eyes of God, yet, as a faithful servant of God, David did not dare thrust his hand against Jehovah's anointed. This is the same attitude I hold today. I love my faithful brothers in the truth, I love the FDS, they do so much for us, and truly are to be commended for their efforts. They are fallible, they are imperfect, they make mistakes. When I see that their teachings go beyond the things that are written in God's inspired Word, I do not agree with it, but I don't go and start preaching against it. I know that Jehovah's spirit will guide us eventually into all truth."

http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/6/161396/1.ashx

I find this JW reasoning confusing. First, David was "annointed" prior to this incident. Remember the story, young David was annointed, then the "evil" spirit from Jehovah entered Saul, and he kept attempting to kill David. That means that there were two, concurrent "annointed" channels, one being King Saul and one being David.

David's failure to kill Saul is not evidence that he supported Saul; David was simply waiting for Jehovah to remove Saul from power. David did, however, collect his own followers, and those followers joined that "channel" in opposition to the other "channel." Those that stuck with Saul eventually lost power, and those that followed the new channel, David, gained power.

This doesn't bode well for JW reasoning. First, it destroys the whole single-channel theory. Additionally, it put the onus upon each person to determine which channel to follow.

...just some ramblings.

Justitia

• avishai
    avishai

great catch

• Slappy
    Slappy

Interesting. I'll have to keep that one in mind.

Also, I've always viewed Peter and Paul as two different channels. Peter reached the Jews and Paul reached the Gentiles. With only one channel, there would be a lot of people lacking in the Truth.

Btw, it's interesting that the FDS claims to be God's annointed. Similar to the pope claiming to be God's representative on earth. What does this portion say about such?

So He told a parable to those who were invited, when He noted how they chose the best places, saying to them: "When you are invited by anyone to a wedding feast, do not sit down in the best place, lest one more honorable than you be invited by him; and he who invited you and him come and say to you, 'Give place to this man,' and then you begin with shame to take the lowest place. But when you are invited, go and sit down in the lowest place, so that when he who invited you comes he may say to you, 'Friend, go up higher.' Then you will have glory in the presence of those who sit at the table with you. For whoever exalts himself will be humbled, and he who humbles himself will be exalted. Luke 14:7-11

Luke 22:24-30 also.

• ldrnomo
    ldrnomo

So right now, I'm still channel surfing. Not sure if any human channel's are any good.

LD

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit