Pellet stove owners - can you give me some tips?

by UnConfused 8 Replies latest jw friends

• UnConfused
    UnConfused

What brand/model do you have? What would you change if you could? What do you like / hate about it?

Thanks / Cheers!

• UnConfused
    UnConfused

anyone?

• oompa
    oompa

my local country hardware store heats with one but i dont know the brand....sure looks good and really throws out the heat...I will check the brand next time in....I love old country hardware stores...btw........oompa

• UnConfused
    UnConfused

Ditto on the old style hardware stores. Thanks. Ask them, if you would, about the trouble cleaning and the noise of the model and make they have.

• amicus
    amicus

Not much help here, but I'll share what I can. I recently purchased a woodburning stove. After spending a good amount of time checking brands and prices I decided on an Osburn from Canada. I'm very pleased with the quality of material used and the workmanship. I'm fairly certain they make Pellet Stoves as well.

• StAnn
    StAnn

After talking with friends, I decided NOT to buy a pellet stove. First, if you're burning corn, it attracts rodents. If you're burning wood pellets or corn, you have to have plenty of space to store the bags of pellets and try to buy them all in the fall, because stores run out. One friend had to heat with electric space heaters this spring when she ran out of pellets and couldn't find more to buy. However, people have told me that they bought a winter's supply of pellets and stored the pellets in the basement, garage, or barn, only to have the pellets absorb moisture and be worthless. Thus, they've spent all of the money in advance for winter heating and then had to use their electric back up when the pellets got wet. Also, the less expensive stoves don't have very adjustable vents. A friend of mine couldn't adjust the front vent of her pellet stove, which directed heat down onto the floor because heat rises, and she said it ruined her hardwood floor.

I like the idea of a pellet stove. I think you'd have to buy a more expensive model with adjustable vents and make sure you'd have access to pellets throughout the heating season, so that you don't risk having your pellets ruined by moisture.

HTH,

StAnn

• StAnn
    StAnn

BTW, I have one friend with a pellet stove and she burns corn. It takes about four acres of field corn to heat a 1200 square foot farm house, if you're thinking of growing your own.

StAnn

• Plummet
    Plummet

Quada-Fire is the way to go http://www.quadrafire.com Quadra-Fires are set up to run pellets or corn or any of the new pellet types that are coming out. From October to April Propane would cost me $250.00 to fill up my tank. I would use a tank per month, and 2 tanks in January, to keep my 1200 sq. ft home no higher than 55 degrees. 8 Winter Fill ups X $250.00 = $2000.00 Winter Heat. My Mid Sized Quadra-Fire burns about 1-1/2 to 2 tons per winter keeping my house at a toasty 70 degrees. 1 Ton runs about $200 so winter heat with pellets runs me a whopping $400. Just think, in the 4 years that I have owned the Pellet Stove Propane Fill ups now run in the $350 range and the cost of pellets has gone up $20 per ton, how much more am I saving now. It is a great money savings but it is a lot of work. Depending on the Ash Content the Fire Bowl must be emptied Daily sometimes twice a day. The inside must be cleared of ashes weekly and the ash tray must be emptied Monthly. The Stove will need to be filled with every 2 or 3 days. You need to be able to store 10 or so bags somewhere in the house because it will be a pain bringing 40lb. bags in from outside. A lot of work, but a huge savings as well. FYI Oak Pellets Burn Hotter and have less ash then the other types of wood pellets.

• UnConfused
    UnConfused

Quada seems to be a great stove from the reviews, but it costs about twice what the one from HomeDepot I'm looking at. $1079. A friend has that one and is happy enough with it, but the Quada is more convenient and much more attractive.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit