Possessing The Qualifications For Eldership Doesn't Mean...

by White Dove 7 Replies latest watchtower bible

• White Dove
    White Dove

...one is appointed by Holy Spirit.

Why does the WTS think it does?

Isn't that equivocation?

Is this thread in the right box?

Should it be in "Beliefs?"

• blondie
    blondie

The WTS uses this scripture which is the title of the elders manual:

(Acts

20:28) Pay attention to yourselves and to all the flock, among which the holy spirit has appointed YOU overseers, to shepherd the congregation of God. . .

1) Bible qualifications - Bible inspired by holy spirit

2) Prayer for holy spirit

3) Elders appointed by holy spirit determine if others are qualified (circular reasoning)

*** w02 8/1 p. 13 par. 19 Loyally Submit to Godly Authority ***These older men meet the requirements that are set out in God’s Word, which is a product of God’s spirit. (1 Timothy 3:1-7; Titus 1:5-9) Hence, their appointment can be said to be by holy spirit. (Acts 20:28)

*** w92 2/1 p. 16 par. 11 ‘In the Name of the Holy Spirit’ ***Yes, congregation overseers, or elders, are appointed by holy spirit. In what way? In that appointed elders must meet the qualifications outlined in the inspired Bible. (1 Timothy 3:1-13; Titus 1:5-9) They can develop those qualifications only with the help of holy spirit. Further, the body of elders that recommends a new elder prays for the guidance of holy spirit to discern whether he meets the qualifications or not. And the actual appointment is made under the supervision of the spirit-anointed faithful and discreet slave. (The GB no longer directly reads or recommends but has delegated that to "other sheep" Bethelites).

*** w85 8/1 p. 31 Questions From Readers ***It is similar with the appointment of Christian men to be elders, or overseers, in the congregations today. Periodically a group of elders (likely including a traveling overseer of the Society) meet to consider recommending brothers for appointment as overseers. Those in the group have themselves been appointed as elders and they manifest in their lives that they have the spirit. Their discussion is opened with prayer for the spirit’s guidance. Then, during the meeting, they analyze whether each brother being considered measures up to the qualifications for elders set out in the Bible, which have been recorded under the direction of holy spirit. (1 Timothy 3:2-7; Titus 1:5-9) They also consider whether the brother evidences in his manner of life that he is "full of spirit and wisdom." (Acts 6:3) If they agree that he is of that sort and meets the qualifications to a reasonable degree, their recommendation is forwarded to the spirit-designated Governing Body or its chosen representatives. Later the congregation may be informed that the brother has been appointed.

• White Dove
    White Dove

Thanks, Blondie. Is that from the WT CD?

Wasn't the evidence of being appointed by holy spirit back then the ability to do miracles?

There doesn't seem to be any need for divine proof anymore of divine appointment.

Circular reasoning. I knew there was some kind of falicy at work there.

Something just didn't add up.

• blondie
    blondie

Miracles were not a requirement if you consider that all early Christians were called by holy spirit but not everyone performed miracles so it wasn't proof of their calling by the holy spirit. There was a time in the last century that the congregation servants had to be anointed Christians. I think around the 40's and there fewer and fewer anointed men, the WTS relented and "appointed" other sheep.

• AllTimeJeff
    AllTimeJeff

Great example of cognitive dissonance. My illusions were dashed at my first elders meeting where we discussed brothers qualifications. We used WT's more then the bible. Again, my brain deep down was trying to tell me "Evidentally, you were appointed by holy spirit, even though you can never be spirit annointed with the heavenly hope. The WT claims that it isn't inspired by holy spirit though the bible is, yet we use the WT exclusively. At what point do we see evidence that the holy spirit is in action? I mean, we teach it isn't a person, so what is the spirit acutally doing?"

This is another example of doctrinal convenience for the GB. For as much as they discredit the holy spirit being a person, they also rely on the holy spirit for everything they hold dear in their house of cards. The fact is that there is NO evidence of the holy spirit that the R&F can see. In steps the GB, handing out their own version of the red and green 3-D glasses, telling us what to see. In effect, they are saying "We know there is no physical evidence of the holy spirit, but because we make the doctrine, prophecies, fullfillment of prophecies and rules, please allow us to tell you how the holy spirit is working in these last days....."

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

It is a complete waste of time, either way. I hope my qualifications are enough (a member of an apostate forum, having a bunch of Christmas decorations up all summer long, a Ouija board, joining a "secret" society that the Washtowel Slaveholdery bashes, a MySpace account, talking favorably about college and fully integrated thinking, and having not been to a boasting session or out in field circus in three years.

• tiffy0212
    tiffy0212

my husband was removed as an elder in 1985, because he left us. Did the holy spirit make a mistake?????? of did Jehovah make a mistake????? They are all a little bit crazy..

• tictoc
    tictoc

I find those appointed today are not qualified scripturally, some have only been in the org for under ten years, others are born in it and are so young, some have wives that are inactive, and kids that misbehave, some elders have wives that have been disfellowshiped.

I think the elders are recruited for the loyalty to the org rules. The society of JW's have lost the best, and they are worried about losing more, the good go. It seems that some of the best left are hanging on, and the assholes stay, they see nothing wrong with the Pharisaic control of the flock, because they like it that way.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit