Making money with "The Truth"™

by tooktheredpill 5 Replies latest jw friends

• tooktheredpill
    tooktheredpill

Hello!

A couple of months ago I mentioned how some JW’s make money with JW’s activities. (See http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/6/153159/2800455/post.ashx#2800455 ) . Even when I was a "good JW", I considered that wrong.

This week I received the following email. What do you think?

Hello *********:

Now shipping! Bookmarks with schedule for "Live with Jehovah's Day in Mind". (Click here.) We also have DOWNLOADABLE notebooks for the "Guided by God’s Spirit" District Convention (for kids and adults). See below.

Live With Jehovah's Day in Mind bookmarks contain complete schedule for the the new book study: $1.99 (regular $2.99) for a set of 8 or $0.99 on bulk orders (click here for details). Click here to order

·

Colorful bookmark to keep your place

·

Features the text "Live With Jehovah's Day in Mind"

·

Beautiful full-color printing on 240 g high quality card stock; glossy finish

·

Contains schedule for the entire book study of the "Jehovah's Day" book

·

8 in a set (all the same design). Keep one for yourself and give 7 away to friends!)

·

AVAILABLE IN ENGLISH ONLY

Don't forget to pick up covers for your Jehovah's Day book. We have in plastic, pleather and leather. Prices start at $2.99. Click here.

BONUS free download, no purchase necessary: Scripture Index for the Jehovah's Day book (Click link and scroll down). Four-page leaflet fits into the front of your Jehovah's Day book. This handy reference indexes every single verse of the 12 prophets (over 1100 total!) of the Jehovah's Day book

ministryideaz.com

• yknot
    yknot

When I was little such activities were considered 'spiritually unethical' . Only the WT was allowed to sell WT products in limited areas due to the Russell wholesale thing. I assume such businesses have a strong kick back agreement with the WTS or the WTS is getting leeched.

Practically all the 'friends' in my former KH are customers of such business. Much like highlighting in 3 colors makes you 'spiritual' so does being totally outfitted. I remember when the pink briefcase was the equivelant to a birkin.......this year it is the matching mom / daughter service bag.....(can you say materialism)..........Reminds me that I wanted to suggest a sewing party before the DC. I mean really $75 is ourtrageous for families on janitorial incomes.

Some companies now emboss the WT logo..(is this different then any cross or fish?) but the Elders don't say anything.

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free

I used to have some watchtower paraphernalia. It made me feel superior to others in the hall that didn't.

W

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

I don't think there is anything wrong with making money, even in such a pxxx poor area as the Washtowel. People want that Washtowel logo, they are willing to pay for it. And there is nothing wrong with filling that demand with supply. As long as fraud is not involved, I would rather see people pay money for that kind of material, if they want it, than put it in the Worldwide Pedophile Defense Fund.

It might not be wise, however, to depend on it. If the Washtowel goes south, the business might suddenly dry up. And with the college crackdown and the economy what it is, the witlesses do not have enough money for anything but gas and donations for the Worldwide Pedophile Defense Fund. Hence any effort to have Washtowel paraphenalia is likely to go belly up.

• Outaservice
    Outaservice

A lot of Sisters in our Circuit used to wear gold pins on their lapels that said.......THEOCRACY. I don't know what they paid for them, but someone was making some money.

Of course a lot of brothers made money off the congregations with these 'get rich quick' scams. To many to mention them all. What were some of them in your area?

Outaservice

• Jourles
    Jourles

A sister in the Alpine, CA congregation used to do china painting(Nancy M). I have no idea how many tie tacks she did that had the tetragrammaton on them. I recall that almost every brother in the hall had one, including myself. I don't remember if she sold them or gave them away. Knowing her though, she probably gave them away. My ex-FIL used to make his own magnets and bookmarks with jw stuff on them. But to be honest, he didn't really do it to make money. He charged just enough to cover his own costs with barely anything left over.

There are some out there that do it for the money - there is no doubt. But many others that do these types of "services" simply want to help their brothers out or provide something unique that they're able to make at little or no cost. I wouldn't lump everyone that does these types of things in the same pot.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit