Thinkers wife

by thinker 3 Replies latest jw friends

• thinker
    thinker

I was raised as a witness. I had many very bad experiences. They changed the whole direction of my life.
    Has anyone ever wondered where the money goes. We are talking about a huge amount. Has anyone followed the paper trail?

• DriveslikeJehu
    DriveslikeJehu

A lot of it goes toward building Kingdom Halls. I live outside of Houston, and just in the greater Houston area, 50 new halls are needed. In fact, another regional building committee will have to be appointed. In Mexico, a whopping 240 are needed by the end of next 2001.

And this isn't a 'just in case' buildup, this is to keep up with the current numbers.

• TR
    TR

Hi Thinker's wife!

Welcome!

I don't have a clue where the money goes. The Society does fund KH building, but it's paid for by the congregations. So, the question stands: Where does the money go?

The Society has spent loads on Patterson, Stanley Theatre etc., they spend a minimal amount amount on the Bethel workers. There's a ton of money out there, and the recent structural changes of the WTS has helped to hide it in case of lawsuits. They don't give away money! I don't see new Halls in third world countries. Yet they do spend money on their corporate infrastructure.

Considering the millions of members, and others who are sympathetic to the WTS donate millions if not billions of dollars to the WTS. One elderly lady who did not even attend meetings, left $250,000 to our congregation. Yes, the WTS has major bucks, but I don't see them spending much of it. Any giving of money and resources is done mostly by individual members and not the WTS itself. I would LOVE to see their asset portfolio!

TR

• RedhorseWoman
    RedhorseWoman

Hi, Thinkers wife (may I call you TW?)...welcome. Yes, I've often wondered where the money goes.

The printing costs for the literature are WAY below the expected "donations", all labor is free, and they certainly don't spend it in charitable works.

As far as Kingdom Halls and Assembly Halls are concerned, Jehu, the money is LOANED to the congregations by the Society, and it is repaid through a low-cost mortgage.

I do know that members of the GB travel in luxury whenever they go anywhere, and stay in five-star hotels, but I doubt that that would account for all the billions they take in.

I don't know if they have ever published a complete financial statement, but it would be interesting to peruse it.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit