Latest Pew Forum Poll

by Rapunzel 9 Replies latest jw friends

• Rapunzel
    Rapunzel

The results of the latest poll by the Pew Forum on Religion andPublic Life [in America] was published today [Monday, June 24]. There is a state-by-state comparison included within a larger report entitled "U.S. Religious Landscape Survey."

The state-by-state poll provides a ranking of states in regard to religious question; issues; and beliefs. For example, people were asked if they had an "absolutely certain" belief in God. The top five (5) states with the highest percentage of people professing an "absolutely certain" belief in God are - Mississippi [91% profess to have an absolutely certain belief in God]; Alabama [86%]; South Carolina [86%]; Arkansas [84%]; and Tennessee [84].

The bottom states, with the smallest percentage of people professing an "absolutely certain" belief in God, are - Alaska [61% of the people polled profess an "absolutely certain" belief in God]; Massachusetts [60%]; Maine [59%]; Connecticut/Rhode Island [57%]; and New Hampshire/Vermont [54%]

The American national average percentage of people professing an "absolutely certain" belief in God is 71%

In regard to the percentage of people who report having their prayers answered at least once a month [hmmm...I can think of a really silly joke, but I won't tell it], the top five states are Mississippi [46%]; Alabama [44%]; North Carolina [42%]; South Carolina [41%]; and Utah [41%].

The bottom states in the category of having prayers answered are - Minnesota [23%]; Connecticut/Rhode Island [23%]; Massachusetts [21%]; Maine [21%]; Alasaka [21%]; and New Hampshire Vermont 15%]

I myself live in Connecticut and we have a joke here - "If you come to Connecticut with the intention of converting anything, it had better be a barn!!! Or else, "The only thing that has ever been converted in Connecticut is a barn."

• hamilcarr
    hamilcarr

I just saw the CQ press data on livability and it's very illuminating to compare both stats.

There seems to be a negative relationship between certainty of belief in God and livability: all states that rank high in the Pew poll as for belief in God are at the bottom of the livability list: 44. Alabama; 46. Arkansas; 47. Tennessee; 49. South Carolina; 50. Mississippi. No surprise, New Hampshire ranks first both in livability and non-belief in God.

It seems most prayers remain unheard ...

• Rapunzel
    Rapunzel

Hi Hamilcarr: In addition to the livability factor, there are many other correlations as well. For example, consider the two issues of poverty and the infant mortality rate which is closely connected to the poverty level, for obvious reasons. I believe that the state of Mississippi has one the highest - if not the highest - rates of infant mortality in the nation. I once read that a black male born in Mississippi has approximately the same life expectancy as a citizen of Bangladesh. I hope and pray that this estimate is wrong, but, at the same time, I fear that it is correct. I know for a fact that there is an old blues song that says: "If you're a black child born in Mississippi, you may as well be born dead." I'm pretty sure that the other southern states listed in the poll have similarly high levels of poverty and infant mortality.

In addition to the high levels of poverty and infant mortality, the Southern states listed also have the highest teenage pregnancy levels in the nation [The U.S. as a whole has one of the highest levels of teenage pregnancy among modern, industrialized nations. In fact, there are developing third-world nations with lower teenage pregnancy levels. This fact is a disgrace for the U.S., and it's due in large part to the fact that there are many forms of birth control that are not available to people in general, and teenagers in particular.]

In correlation to the high levels of poverty, infant mortality and teenage pregnancy, the Southern states listed have the highest levels of illiteracy.They have the highest level of high school dropouts, and the lowest levels of college and post college grads.

To borrow a cliche, all of these factors combine to form a "perfect storm" in which superstition and ignorance can become prevalent and dominate society. When this happens, religion in its worst and most virulent forms can fill the void. Although the correlation may not be strictly causal, there is in fact a correlation between the deplorable socio-cultural factors in many segments of southern states, and the especially noxious and harmful forms of fundamentalist/evangelical extremism evident in the "Bible Belt."

Ignorance breeds hate and intolerance, both of which are evident in the "Bible belt." The nickname of the University of Mississippi is "Ole Miss." Many people erroneously believe that the word, "Miss," is a shortened form of "Mississippi." It's an understandable error, but it is indeed an error. "Ole Miss" was what the slaves on the plantations called the plantation owner's wife. How can a university allow itself to be called such a hateful and repugnant name?

When I consider the implications of the Pew Forum Poll, it is with no little apprehension. Such figures and statistics do not bode well for the U.S. in general. Although the South does have wonderful universities and institutes of higher learning, although the south does have wonderful and vibrant cities, there are too many areas and segments which are nothing but intellectual and cultural backwaters. There are too many people living in third-world conditions. The fact that so many people sincerly believe that they have some sort of hot-line to God is a disgrace. It's pernicious, supstitious nonsense. And the great danger is that the U.S. in general will become an isolated, cultural backwater.

In short, the sort ignorance reflected in the Pew Forum Poll can drain a society of its vitality. This sort of ignorance can only prove itself to be very dangerous in the long term. I really think that the future will "belong" to those nations and societies which are capable of educating their people and freeing them from the bonds of ignorance and superstition. I hope that I am wrong, but - as the statistics revealed in the Pew Forum Poll reveal - I fear that the U.S. is losing the battle in many segments of its society.

• Simon
    Simon

I saw this and also the equivalent from the UK ... it is amazing just how religious America is (if they were Arab they'd be called a fundamentalist state) whereas the UK is very secular by comparison.

• godadist
    godadist

My great grandparents were all believers and they all died in their 90's.

But they weren't American.

I guess faith only kills in the USA.

• Rapunzel
    Rapunzel

To tell truth, as an American, I was sickened to the point of nausea when I read this morming's newspaper. My only small consolation is that I live in New England [Connecticut]. It's just that I am worried about the rest of the U.S. Ironically, as everyone should know, New England - in its origins - was in effect a theocracy. It was envisioned as the "New Jerusalem," the great "City on the Hill." Although Salem is most famous for the "witch trials," it was my state [Connecticut] which held the last witch trial, if my memory serves me correctly. My point is: What happened between then and now? If New England managed to break free of the intellectual and spiritual bondage of our founding superstitions and "priestcraft," why haven't other areas of the U.S. been able to do the same? How to explain the survival of the "Bible Belt" into our twenty-first century?

Moreover, it is the galling epitome of hypocrisy when Americans speak of Moslem fundamentalism. How dare they say this when they, themselves, are as fundamentalist - as extremist - as any Moslem! I am certain that there is a higher level of fundamentalism in the U.S. than there is in Turkey. I'm sure there is a greater appreciation of secular values in Turkey than there is in the U.S.

The case could be made that there exists the problem on fundamentalism in certain segments of Moslem societies. However, it is just as true that the U.S. should "clean its own house" first. The U.S. is being faced with an enormous problem, one which seems insurmountable. The problem that it faces is nothing short of educating a populace, many segments of which are utterly and hopelessly ignorant. They are hopelessly ignorant of math and sciece [American students' scores are consistantly at the very bottom when compared with students of other nations]. Moreover, Americans are ignorant of their own history and the very ideals upon which their nation was founed.

Americans should focus far less on Moslem fundamentalism. Insteaad, they should focus on stopping the intellectual blight that is threatening to destroy America from within. It the blight of arrogance and hubris, arrogance and hubris which have their source in ignorance, superstition, and unreason. The price to pay for failing to act will certainly be the postition of the U.S. in the world; moreover, the price to pay may well be the very survival of the Republic itself.

• Rapunzel
    Rapunzel

Godalist - I don't get the logic of your post. How do you reach the point that "faith kills." In my view, the only time when faith kills is when one's faith [be it Christain; Moslem; Jewish; Hindu; Buddhist, or whatever] leads to fanaticism and hatred of others who don't share one's particular beliefs.

I have no problem with faith per se. The problem is when people claim that they are absolutely certain of their belief in God. It is the words, absolutely certain, that I find so worrisome, for the pure and simple reason that it is impossible to be absolutely certain about one's belief in God. It is the notion of absolutely that I find troubling. The very notion of God precludes any and all certainty. Faith in God is fine by me, but faith is quite different than certainty. Faith and certainty are two totally different levels of assent. The existence of God is a matter of faith, not knowledge. Absolute certainty should only pertain to knowledge; it should not be connected to faith. When faith becomes "absolutely certain," then it all too often leads to dogmatism, intolerance, hubris, and willful ignorance.

I once read somewhere that only madmen claim to know the mind of God. My very fear is that there is a madness - an irrationality, a blight of unreason - which has become a "spectre haunting" the U.S. For me, there is a big difference between people having faith in God, and people being "absolutely certain" of their belief in God. Faith and absolute certainty are two extremely different things. Faith belongs to the realm of religion; and absolute certainty belongs to the realm of knowlege.

• hamilcarr
    hamilcarr

bttt

Rapunzel, Very interesting facts about the correlation between certainty of belief and societal problems like teenage pregnancy (!!!!) and poverty.

I think this study is very educational too:

There is evidence that within the U.S. strong disparities in religious belief versus acceptance of evolution are correlated with similarly varying rates of societal dysfunction, the strongly theistic, anti-evolution south and mid-west having markedly worse homicide, mortality, STD, youth pregnancy, marital and related problems than the northeast where societal conditions, secularization, and acceptance of evolution approach European norms (Aral and Holmes; Beeghley, Doyle, 2002). It is the responsibility of the research community to address controversial issues and provide the information that the citizens of democracies need to chart their future courses.

http://moses.creighton.edu/JRS/2005/2005-11.html

I strongly believe we urgently need a serious discussion on the causes for this remarkable correlations. Why does acceptance of evolution to more moral behaviour while at the same time theists assert they are morally superior to non-believers? These figures hide an unconvenient truth that only very few American believers are willing to face.

• cognizant dissident
    cognizant dissident

Well the results of the prayer poll make it abundantly clear. God loves Mississipians 76% more than he does those from Vermont (Vermontians?)

Or perhaps since Mississipi is on the top of the "unliveability" list, people who live there are just praying 76% more, probably that they can get the hell out of there!

Cog

• Mickey mouse
    Mickey mouse

It's not very complimentary of JW's.... (interesting reading).

"Survey shows Jehovah’s Witnesses least tolerant and openminded American religious group"

http://www.cultnews.com/?p=2309

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit