Cruise Ship Disaster

by Rapunzel 5 Replies latest jw friends

• Rapunzel
    Rapunzel

Apparently, a cruise ship got caught in a typhoon that hit the R.O.P. [Republic of the Philippines].The estimated death toll is approximately 700, or about half the number who perished on the Titanic. I fear that the death toll in the latest cruise-ship disaster could actually be higher than 700. My fear comes from the fact that 700 were officially registered as being on board. Unfortunately, there exists the common practice of cramming many more people on board, people who are not recorded in the official registry or log. Of course, I hope that this is not the case, but I fear it is. In any case, it's a horrible tragedy. These people were looking forward to a lovely and relaxing sea-cruise, but they got death by drowning.

Moreover, with the estimated eath toll at 700, it seems that more people died in the cruise ship disaster than on land. The estimated death toll on land is 250 - 300.

• DaCheech
    DaCheech

travel disasters are a bigger nighmare now than ever.

when I was single, I used to fly all the time.

now, I try to keep my kids away from planes at all costs.

would not wish it on anybody

• ThomasCovenant
    ThomasCovenant

Hi

Even though a lot more people may have died in the accident compared to a jumbo jet crash

it's

a) not as dramatic

b) didn't take place in the West.

Therefore we are not too bothered.

Thanks

Thomas Covenant

• ozziepost
    ozziepost

A correction is needed.

Unfortunately, there exists the common practice of cramming many more people on board, people who are not recorded in the official registry or log.

I wasn't aware that cruise ships overloaded their capacity, so I checked for the report and sure enough, it was a ferry!!

RESCUERS are searching seas near a capsized ferry in the Philippines as fears grow for more than 800 people missing after it sank in a typhoon.

Coast guard boats searched the area around the 23,824-tonne ferry and divers were expected to drill into the side of the vessel where they hope survivors might be alive in air pockets.

Twenty-eight passengers and crew were the most recently found survivors of the ferry disaster, having landed at a small coastal village after drifting for more than 24 hours in a rubber boat, radio dzBB reported.

• hamilcarr
    hamilcarr

DaCheech, travel accidents occur less than ever before in human history. The chance to die at home is higher than to crash in an airplane. Our risk perception is totally different from the facts though (the reason being that our brains are no rational devices).

• DaCheech
    DaCheech

you're right, it's just the carnage.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit