can anyone remember?

by rekless 8 Replies latest jw friends

• rekless
    rekless

At one time in 1954 -70 the WTBTS did not consider themselves as a religion, what did they consider themselves as? I remember as a kid I was told "No, we are not a religion." because religion was called a snare and a racket.

• knock knock
    knock knock

I think they just called it... get ready...seated yet... The Truth. Then, probably as a result of tax benefits, they suddenly had a light flash and realized that if there is "false religion" then there must be a "true religion". So they get to be the one and only True Religion and get all the tax benefits as that goes with it as well. Gosh darn, that new light sure is something isn't it!

The above is merely my speculation but it sure fits the pattern don't it?

• jamiebowers
    jamiebowers

I was only in from 1982 to 1988, but didn't they just call it the organization?

• Bring_the_Light
    Bring_the_Light

In 1954-1970 I was just an evil glimmer in Jehovah's eye.

:oP

Bring_the_Light

• MissingLink
    MissingLink

My mom told me last month that the JWs are NOT a religion. My parents joined in 1975 (I know - how retarded is that), and they didn't look into any of the old teachings. So she must have learned it after that time.

I didn't tell her that they are actually a cult.

• garybuss
    garybuss

Face The Facts 1938 pp. 7-8

To make good his challenge the Devil must turn men away from God and cause them to oppose Jehovah. His chief means of accomplishing that purpose is fraud or deceit. His name, Serpent means deceiver. He has deceived all men except those who have strictly adhered to and obeyed God's commandments written in His Bible. Knowing that men by nature look to some higher power, Satan brought in religion as a form of worship and led men to deify creatures rather than to worship Jehovah God the Creator in spirit and in truth. Until recently all of us believed that religion and Christianity are the same. The legislative bodies of the land and the courts also have used, and continue to use, the words religion and Christianity as synonymous terms. Now God has made it clearly to be seen by those who diligently seek the truth that religion is a form of worship but which denies the power of God and turns men away from God, whereas Christianity means the strict obedience to God's commandments. Religion and Christianity are therefore exactly opposite to each other.

• DaCheech
    DaCheech

its not a religion, its a way of life (which is supposed to be better, because everything in your life is focused on jah's way)

• Priest73
    Priest73

early 70's, I was just a "money shot" for the lord. What does that make me?

• restrangled
    restrangled

Yes, I remember and the pat answer was what DaCheech just said:

its not a religion, its a way of life (which is supposed to be better, because everything in your life is focused on jah's way)

The only problem was, every time I was asked why I wasn't doing something....you know holidays, flag salute, etc, my only answer, "Because of my religion."

r.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit