Devilution!

by Chameleon 3 Replies latest jw friends

• Chameleon
    Chameleon

As you know, this month is "evolution is evil" month.

I wasn't paying too much attention at this week's meeting, but I'll share what I did manage to hear.

This was a #3 assignment, and one lady was "Concerned Mom," and the other was "Worldly Teacher."

Basically, Concerned Mom (or CM) went to Worldly Teacher (WT) to tell her that she doesn't want her son in the class for the next couple of weeks. Why? Because she'll be teaching evolution.

WT says, "I believe that all the evidence shows that we evolved and blah blah blah" and CM says "Well, let me show you this BS from the Bible. Isn't that nice? Isn't it better to to know that we were made by a kind and loving god that we have to answer to for our sins? Isn't it better than thinking that we came about by chance, with no one to answer to for our sins but ourselves? So please, I suggest you research all the evidence from the Bible before coming to any conclusions."

So, the JW can shut her mind off and tell everyone else off; that sounds about right.

What stupid evolution things have you heard?

• wha happened?
    wha happened?

Devolution

• Awakened07
    Awakened07
    What stupid evolution things have you heard?

-Or; stupid things said about what evolution would claim/require:

That we evolved from monkeys.

That cows went back to the ocean and became whales.

That the giraffe grew a longer neck because it figured out it needed it in order to reach the top branches.

That we should find 'crocoducks' and 'dats' (dog/cat) out there.

That there are no transitional fossils.

That the first fully formed cell came from lightening hitting mud.

I could go on, but...

As for the talk in the hall that you refer to; Something doesn't become right/correct just because it sounds more appealing than the other argument.

So the whole point of "don't you think this sounds nicer/better/warmer/cozier, and is therefore more likely to be true?" is moot, at least in and of itself.

• Hortensia
    Hortensia

well, way the hell back in ancient times when I was in high school (exaggeration for effect), I had an elder come to school to address one of my classes about evolution and the bible!!! The elder used the example of a car left stranded out in the desert. It wouldn't evolve, would it? It would rust and crumble and devolve! The teacher said, "a car isn't a living thing. Evolution is about living things." The elder came back with, I kid you not, "well if we left you out in the desert for a hundred years, you wouldn't look too good either." The class laughed so hard, and the teacher was not happy. She was rather vain about her appearance. Hmmmm, do you think that's why I graduated third in my class instead of first or second?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit