Cross-Cultural Experiences?

by Babylon the Great Employee 3 Replies latest jw experiences

• Babylon the Great Employee
    Babylon the Great Employee

(First, as an American, I must apologize to our international friends for our country ever exporting the Watchtower in the first place. Someone should take up the matter with the WTO.)

Seriously, though, I am interested in the differences (if any) in JW's across cultures. Are the rules less stringently applied in nations less prudish than Americans? Obviously most of the folks on this board are native anglophones, but I wondered if, especially in non-English-speaking nations that cultural differences impacted what the rules actually were, and what rules were even enforced. For instance, dress codes, what activities were approved or not approved, etc.? The materials are obviously written with an American/western audience in mind, but were those same materials actually translated into other languages or were separated materials published for different nations/cultures?

• reneeisorym
    reneeisorym

I read that the Mormons had to change their name in Chinese because it sounded like Devil. . HAHA

• Rapunzel
    Rapunzel

I can add some ideas in regard to the dress code, although these observations are now rather "dated," and may now be obsolete.

About three decades ago, I spent a year in France. I lived in Grenoble, France from June 1976 until August, 1977. While there, I actively associated with two congregations of Les Temoins de Jehovah [The Jehovah's Witnesses, as they are called in France]. In regard to the "sisters" dress code, it was very different from the one in most American congregations in that it was the custom of the younger women in the congregation to wear blue jeans - very tight, "form-fitting" - blue jeans to the meetings.

I should point out the "dichotomy" that existed between the younger sisters and the older sisters. As for the older sisters [those older than forty], it was the custom to wear dresses or blouse/skirt combinations. However, the younger sisters [those in their teens or twenties] would often attend meetings and go out in service wearing tight blue jeans. In the late 70's, this was the custom in much of France, so, in that respect, the sisters in question did not stand out at all. In fact, they fit in well with, and followed, the dominant cultural trend.

But in many American congregation, such behavior would have seemed scandalous.

On a different point, I wonder how much Witnesses in Asian cultures - such as Taiwan, Japan, and South Korea - adhere to the "anti-higher education" policy of the Witnesses, the one that greatly discourages college/university education. In Asian cultures, higher education has traditionally been valued to the point where it is virtually revered. I wonder to what extent Witnesses living in these cultures adhere to the official Witness "party line," as it were. I wonder to what extent are allowances made for local cultural norms in the area of higher education.

Another point is that of so-called "ancestor worship." Having lived in Taiwan for twenty years [as a non-witness who had absolutely no contact whatsoever with the Witnesses], I know for a fact, that, in the minds of Taiwanese, it is not a question of worship at all. It does not form part of the religious realm, but rather it is a matter of culture. It is a question of respect for one's ancestors. It's a matter of tradition, as opposed to worship. I wonder how Witnesses in these cultures view these matters. In Taiwan, virtually every home has a family shrine. I wonder if Witnesses follow the local societal mores, or rebel against them. I can say that there are only a very few Witnesses in Taiwan. In my twenty yeards there, I did not encounter a single Witness. So I have no idea about their perspective on the matter.

• Rapunzel
    Rapunzel

Hi Renee, as I remember, the Mormons in Taiwan were called Mo-men-jia. As far as I know both the Mormons and the Witnesses are prohibited and banned in the People's Republic of China. However, Taiwan has an entirely different government and politcal system. There is virtually total freedom of religion in Taiwan. In Taiwan, Witnesses and Mormons are allowed to freely preach. Moreover, there are also groups such as Scientology and Hare Krishnas. In fact, I know for a fact that Taiwan has a special "missionary visa" available. This special visa allows a missionary [of any religious group] to legally work part-time. Usually, it is a question of teaching English. The Taiwanese authorities are more concerned with people violating their labor laws. They could not care less about religious issues. Most Taiwanese are outwardly polite when approached by missionaries [the Mormons are ubiquitous], but they usually remain totally indifferent to foreign [Western] missionaries. In fact, I spoke with several Mormons who complained that they had not made one single convert, despite all their best efforts. Mormons are famous for asking: "Have you ever heard anything about our church?"

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit