WT Becoming More Secular?

by crochunter 6 Replies latest jw friends

• crochunter
    crochunter

I was raised in the "truth" and my mom is still very dedicated to being a Witness. I've noticed that over time, the society seems to have gotten more secular, or at least it appears so.

For example, the blood issue is now more secular, you can't be disfellowshipped.

Also, being able to accept military civil service instead of going to jail. I also read that a witness can now attend holiday celebrations with their unbelieving mate.

Has anyone noticed this as well? Will there be a time when things like holidays are "up to your conscious?"

• RR
    RR

I think eventually, and this seems to be the trend, that everything will be left to ones conscious. The Society will eventually just give their thoughts and everyone will have to make his or her own decision.

• wannahelp
    wannahelp

Hi, and welcome to the board..

Unless I misunderstood some stuff, you will still be DF'd for taking a blood transfusion.. What is now a matter of "conscience" is you are allowed to take certain fractions of blood.. Whole blood is still deemed a DF offence..

As for the military civil service cards, I have no idea.. I do know that at one time there was a double standard in the organization.. People in Mexico were able to 'bribe' in order to get a card, while people in other lands were forbidden to get cards, even to the extent of being jailed..

I would hope that soon "shunning" would be a matter of conscience :-)

Until that is a matter of conscience, however, the society cannot be considered in my opinion more mainstream..

BTW: I'm not sure if you meant to use the word secular, or 'more like other religions'... I'm assuming you meant more like other religions.. Maybe more 'worldly'...

take care, and peace be with you,

- Wannahelp

• ozziepost
    ozziepost

G'day guys,

I just would like to "clarify" this point about being DF for taking blood. The policy was changed a little while ago. I believe you may still be able to get details on the watchtowerobserver site or freeminds or AJWRF site. Anyway the current position is that a Dub taking blood would be viewed as DA by their action. OK I know it makes little difference, kinda semantic really. In reality DA is harsher because it's automatic. No hearing. Nothing.

Ahh, those Pharisees! Alive and well and living in Brooklyn and Patterson.

Cheers,
    Ozzie

"It's better to light a candle than to curse the darkness."
    Anonymous

• metatron
    metatron

I think the biggest move towards becoming secular is
    the Watchtower itself.

In recent years, it's filled with alot of nothing. Just
    empty, fluff filled articles loaded with platitudes.
    They throw in an article about Nazis or something to keep
    the old folks hooked but basically it is vacuous.

metatron

• cornish
    cornish

Like Ozziepost said the automatically viewed as dissasociated is even harsher than the previos way,and it is so the WT can protect their ass from lawsuites and make misleading the media with public statements like,'We dont penalize anyone for excercising their own free will in blood use or joining the military.
    They have just become more cunning.

• QuietOne
    QuietOne

Crochunter et al,

I have read a great deal about the blood issues and stumbled across things on the alternate military service but have not read anything about holiday celebrations. Could you (or anyone) tell me where I could find more information on this subject?

Thanks,
    QuietOne

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit