In spite of it all- not too shabby

by JimmyPage 5 Replies latest jw experiences

• JimmyPage
    JimmyPage

Sometimes I used to get a little sad for being a late bloomer by worldly standards. But when I consider how I've done in spite of my Dub background I feel pretty proud: Baptized by 16. Servant by 19. Disillusioned by 22. First date/kiss by 23 (with a worldly girl- the mind control starting to lose hold!) Chance to lose virginity by 24 (but still too brainwashed to give in to my "wrong" desires). Virginity lost by 25. Went back to school to learn a trade by 26. Travelled to other countries by 30. Married by 32. Father by 34. Learned the truth about "the Truth" by 35. Yeah, it could be a lot worse.

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

Better than those who end up still in the Washtowel Slaveholdery until death, or until they reach a very old age.

• Babylon the Great Employee
    Babylon the Great Employee

I feel most sorry for those who have left, but who still hold strongly to their beliefs. I know a woman who left because she was disillusioned by the hypocrisy and double lives, and how the rules were arbitrarily applied. Yet, she still believes all the teachings. So she is essentially alone. She can't have friends in the congregation, and she won't let herself have friends in "the world." She's in limbo, never having really left, but she doesn't have the benefit of companionship from being active. It makes me very sad.

You're absolutely right. Those of us who managed to get out, who weren't destroyed by the process of leaving, are extremely lucky. We could have had it much worse. I honestly think my mother would leave, except she doesn't want to lose her friends or her family. What a wonderful thing to be able to walk away and live life on our own terms!

• Eyes Open
    Eyes Open

Well done Jimmy - certainly not too shabby!

What did you feel like between 25 and 35? Guilty?

• JimmyPage
    JimmyPage

Actually, Eyes Open, I got over my guilt early on. It was like I destroyed the JW side of my conscience for the sake of my sanity. I try to have a sense of humor about everything in life, not taking it all too seriously, and it works. I mean, come on, the JW view of life tries to control through guilt and fear. Enough already, you bastards!

• flipper
    flipper

JIMMY- Hang in there dude ! You could have been like me, born in and raised, and not left till 44 years of age. At least you wasted less of your life than I did ! Peace out< mR. Flipper

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit