REQ: OKS August 1980

by witnessgirl 8 Replies latest watchtower bible

• witnessgirl
    witnessgirl

Hello;

I've been reading Raymond Franz's book "Crisis of Conscience", and I noticed that his quotations from the August 1980 OKS differ from what's on the Watchtower Library CD (big suprise, I know). I only seem to have December from that year. I wonder whether anyone might have August 1980 and be willing to scan it. I have lots of old OKM/OKS that I can contribute here in trade, from 1959-1999 (not nearly every issue, but still quite a few). Thanks greatly in advance!

(Incidentally, on the same subject, I notice that the August 1980 Watchtower on the CD is missing the "Signs of Apostasy" piece described in Franz's book. Apoligies if this is old news; I just noticed.)

Heather.

• not_yours
    not_yours

Ray Franz' book states:
    "In the August, 1980, edition of the monthly paper called Our Kingdom Service, sent to all congregations,
    the front page contained the statement that a number of persons in the Bethel family had been disfellowshiped
    and then spoke of "apostasy against the organization.'" - Crisis of Conscience, pg. 383

The Branch Letter included in the Kingdom Service reads:
    "We are saddened to report at this time that five members of the Bethel family, and a few others in the New York
    city area have recently been disfellowshiped. There has been some apostasy against the organization and
    the promoting of sectarian divisions in some of the congregations of God’s people. (Titus 3:9-11)
    Living as we are in times difficult to deal with, it should not be surprising that such things occur. The
    first-century congregation also experienced deviations as we well know from our reading of the Holy Scriptures.—1 Tim. 1:20; 4:1; 2 Tim. 2:17, 18; 1 Cor. 15:12, 13; Acts 20:29, 30.

It is our hope that such ones will come to their senses, repent, and return to Jehovah’s organization which would
    be to their everlasting benefit."

Yours

• witnessgirl
    witnessgirl

He also mentions that his letter of resignation was printed in that issue. I was a little curious as to whether it was a facsimile like in the book or just the text, and how it was presented.

The version on the CD doesn't have that or the part that you quoted, just a brief note in middle of the Announcements section saying that Ray Franz was no longer a member of the GB or Bethel Family.

• not_yours
    not_yours

witnessgirl,
    His letter was not printed in that issue, nor any other. Ray's book says that it was read to the bethel family. - Crisis of Conscience, pg. 338

Yours

• Invetigator74
    Invetigator74

Here's a scan of page 2:

alt

• Invetigator74
    Invetigator74

Here's page 1 followed by page 4 containing the letter from the GB:

alt

• Invetigator74
    Invetigator74

page 4 and ending of GB letter:

alt

• blondie
    blondie

*** km 8/80 pp. 1-4 Branch Letter ***

BranchLetter

Dear Brothers:

No doubt all of you are concerned about whether there are any of our brothers and sisters among the more than 115,000 Cubans who have recently arrived in the United States as refugees. Yes, about 3,000 of our brothers and sisters were taken to the different camps in this country and they are being processed by the immigration authorities. More than 1,000 of our brothers were among the many thousands transported to Miami, Florida, where the Orange Bowl football stadium was used as a temporary site for the refugees. The rest are distributed in other camps set up by the government. Efforts are now underway to register and settle our brothers.

The Society immediately sent some funds to be used to aid the brothers. Additional contributions have been provided to benefit them. Congregations from Tampa to the Florida Keys have contributed some 15 tons of clothing and more than two tons of food have been donated locally in the Miami area. Our brothers from Cuba are in good spirits and are using every opportunity to spread the good news among others in the camps. Reports tell us that their conduct has been exemplary. Many have suffered much persecution in Cuba, but they are of good courage and are determined to continue walking in their integrity.

We are saddened to report at this time that five members of the Bethel family, and a few others in the New York city area have recently been disfellowshiped. There has been some apostasy against the organization and the promoting of sectarian divisions in some of the congregations of God’s people. (Titus 3:9-11) Living as we are in times difficult to deal with, it should not be surprising that such things occur. The first-century congregation also experienced deviations as we well know from our reading of the Holy Scriptures.—1 Tim. 1:20; 4:1; 2 Tim. 2:17, 18; 1 Cor. 15:12, 13; Acts 20:29, 30.

It is our hope that such ones will come to their senses, repent, and return to Jehovah’s organization which would be to their everlasting benefit.

To conclude, we hope all of you who may have already attended the "Divine Love" District Convention have enjoyed it to the full, and that those of you who will yet attend will find it spiritually stimulating and upbuilding.

Your brothers,

GOVERNING BODY OF JEHOVAH’S WITNESSES

• witnessgirl
    witnessgirl

Wow; thanks so much! I really appreciate it!

I guess that I misunderstood the part in CoC where he makes reference to "the same issue of Our Kingdom Service where the announcement of my resignation was published" as meaning that his actual letter of resignation had been printed. Not that there was very much to it, though.

Would anyone be interested in the December 1980 issue? I was kind of playing around with making a PDF of the December 1959 issue last week, but wasn't happy with the results. I can keep trying, though, if people are actually interested in old Kingdom Ministries.

Thanks again!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit