Jw's and Blood Tests

by kwr 5 Replies latest watchtower medical

• kwr
    kwr

Are JW's allowed to have blood drawn for testing purposes? It would seem hypocritical to me if they think blood should be poured out on the ground and they allow someone to draw blood from their body.

• sir82
    sir82

Their "inspired" interpretation is that the blood is "poured out" (disposed of) after the testing is completed, so all is hunky-dory.

Jehovah conveniently left a nice little escape clause in his scripture, in that he did not specify how long after the blood was removed it had to be "poured out"

• TD
    TD
    Are JW's allowed to have blood drawn for testing purposes? It would seem hypocritical to me if they think blood should be poured out on the ground and they allow someone to draw blood from their body.

JW's have a very selective rationale when it comes to their, "Blood must not be used" argument.

Not only are they allowed to have blood withdrawn for testing purposes, they are also allowed to have this blood reinfused later, even if it was taken to some other facility for testing.

This is allowed as long as the whole process can be looked upon as an, "Ongoing procedure."

A typical example of this would be blood gas analysis on a preemie. This blood is usually reinfused later and the reinfusion can thus be looked upon as part of the overall procedure..

(An infant this size may only have enough blood in their entire body to barely fill a shot-glass and can't afford to lose even the small amount that is required for testing.)

• kifoy
    kifoy

A few weeks ago, I would say "of course"!
    But then someone uploaded a scan from the appendix of the new book "Keep Yourselves in God's Love" (page 216-217):

When making decisions about these procedures, ask yourself: 'If some of my blood will be diverted outside my body and the flow might even be interrupted for a time, will my conscience allow me to view this blood as still part of me, thus not requiring that i be "[poured] out upon the ground"? (Deuteronomy 12:23, 24) Would my Bible-trained conscience be troubled if during a medical procedure some of my own blood was withdrawn, modified, and directed back into my body? Am I aware that refusing all medical procedures involving the use of my own blood means that I would not accept a blood test, hemodialysis, or a heart-lung bypass machine?'

So, now I'm not sure anymore. It's suddenly a conscience matter?

• blondie
    blondie

*** w78 6/15 p. 30 Questions From Readers ***

Would it be wrong to submit to a blood test?

Based on their knowledge of the Scriptures, most of Jehovah’s Witnesses, if not all, do not object to such tests. The small quantity of blood removed from the body is not eaten or injected into someone else. It is merely examined or tested before being disposed of.—Deut. 15:23.

• TD
    TD

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit