Warren Schroeder from Bethel on Freddy, Kline and the apostate books!

by Dogpatch 501 Replies latest jw friends

• AndersonsInfo
    AndersonsInfo

gymbob, the assistant Ink Room overseer was Greg Dorosh and his wife is Emily. We were in the same congregation, Parkside in Brooklyn.

Barbara and Joe

• wschroeder
    wschroeder

TERRY,

For me I think the last name will be a necessary clue on my part. Do you have a brother also lurking around in here? Greg and his wife and kids are fine and live close by in Long Island. Becky lives in Copenhagen with her husband and doing well. I will let Greg know that you showed up in the forums. He also has Becky's email.

Warren

• gymbob
    gymbob

Thanks Barb, I'll sleep much better now!!

• Gamaliel
    Gamaliel

Terry,

Good to hear from you again.

You said: "I lost track of Becky after she married Tim and I heard that later they had divorced."

That was a sad marriage. I liked Tim, and had gone to school with him, but I remember having to threaten to come back to Missouri to smack him around a bit, if he didn't stop abusing my sister. It must have sounded even scarier since, at the time, I was deemed disassociated and was therefore on the side of the "demons". (I was told later that our "DA" letter wasn't filed in the Service Department, but was held back privately by brother Fred Rusk, because he was sure we'd change our mind. I'm pretty sure he actually did this more out what he thought was Christian love for his "daughter", my wife, since he was the one who studied with her to bring her to baptism.)

I think my Dad's eyes were opened up a bit when the Society's policies about a woman putting up with an abusive husband hit a little too close to home. He followed the Society line at the time, which puts too much onus on the wife to accept a lot of abuse and accept Bible counsel to be patient, keep trying to work things out, attend more meetings, pray more, and step up your field service. My Dad was an elder on the case, and later apologized to Becky for not seeing her side clearly enough.

You also said: "Warren was quite a bit older than I and I am not quite sure when he left, I just remember that he went to Bethel. I remembered when Greg quit school and left to pioneer and later also to Bethel. Even at the young age of about 13, I was thinking why, as I remember Warren & Greg as being so intelligient & thinking what a waste."

Warren is only two years older than I am, and only about 7 years older than Becky. But Warren was already many years out of my league when it came to his understanding of business and electronics and music and anything else he put his mind to. I think his first job out of high school was fixing radios and eight-track tape players at some company while I was learning to make pizzas at Pizza Hut. He had already moved out on his own and started a business that hired many local JWs in Jeff City by the time I was ... well, still making pizzas. He could play lead guitar in a band, and sound a bit like Jeff Beck, Pete Cetera, Jimmy Page, etc while I played...harmonica! He could even jam with the local blue-grass crowd if he wanted when he was into the Leo Kottke and 12-string sound.

The only advantage I had over Warren, was that I had a head-start in finding out some amazing things about the JW religion by reading all the old books from 1876 and onward, and learning a lot more from a couple friends in the Writing Dept at Bethel. I wanted Warren to come to Bethel, because I knew he would understand quickly what was really going on behind the scenes. I didn't know it would get "dangerous" so quickly, but I knew I wouldn't have to tell him a thing for his world to change. I was sure he'd see right through the JW mindset as soon as he could also compare local reality with the global hype.

My lack of education didn't hurt me none. I was still 15 when I quit school to pioneer, but I had taken the GED just a few months later, so I was situated to go right into college when I left Bethel.

Marie and I have been married 28 years, and we have three great kids. Two are just now graduating from college themselves, and my youngest is 15 now. You also asked about "Mom and Dad". After a decade of religiously practicing the silent treatment against us, they have for more than 10 years now been treating us much more like real parents and grandparents would. The first time they came out to see us they stayed outside near the driveway. More recently they've actually stayed with us several times, and just happen to be staying with us right now for several days -- for the second time this year. Last year they came with us on a two-week Carnival cruise to Rome, Greece, and Turkey with a few extra days back in Rome before going up to see Becky (and family) in Denmark. They love to travel. They've recently been to Russia, China, Egypt/Israel, Caribbean. We might even join up with them for an Alaskan cruise in a year or two.

My wife's father died before we were married and her mother died shortly after. So for the kids and their grandparents, I say, better late than never.

How are things with you?

Greg

• willyloman
    willyloman

On a fascinating thread, full of gems, this says a lot:

It is amazing the young crowd that were in that area at the time that are no longer JW's. I would say 95%, and even those still in are not "really in".

• wschroeder
    wschroeder

willyloman said: "On a fascinating thread, full of gems, this says a lot:

It is amazing the young crowd that were in that area at the time that are no longer JW's. I would say 95%, and even those still in are not "really in". "

That 95% is more specifically for the Rolla/St.James JW's. I would venture a guess that quite a large number of the 21 and under crowd (as of '75) in all of Central MO are no longer JW's. I can say with some certainty that the JeffCity and Columbia group are mostly out. I personally attended/participated in over 20 weddings of my friends in 1974. My pioneer partner attended even more than I. Seems there was this fear that maybe they would become like the angels after Armageddon.... you know.... NO SEX.

The 1974-1975 debacle was a pretty transparent blunder to most young JW's. Especially as some of them discovered that marriage to the wrong person was not paradise. It was a standing joke between my partner and I that when our newly coupled friends tried to get us hitched up it was because they wanted us to be as miserable as they were.

If only there was a moratorium on DF'ing for premarital sex there might be some more active JW's from those areas. I would have voted for it!!! After all, nearly the whole Sedalia MO young crowd were DF'd one year for acting on their sexual impulses out of sequence with other required ceremonies. This also happened bigtime in Rolla and several other congos in midMO.

After all, if they were "temporarily" wrong about '75, why could they have wrong about the definition of "fornication"?

• EndofMysteries
    EndofMysteries

Post from Gamaliel a year ago, I'd love to hear this recorded hahaha

"""Ah, yes...from the old "Oklahoma" song "Farmer and the Cowhand Should Be Friends"

Instead of parodying the "Construction and Home Crew Should Be Friends", they could have done one like this: (the original is on the right and mine is on the left, for those unfamiliar with the musical.)

Oh the GB and the 'postate should be friends
    One man likes his Watchtower fame
    The other likes Peter, Paul and James
    But that’s no reason why they cain’t be friends

Commentaries, folks, shouldn’t be forbidden.
    Commentaries, folks, should not be banned
    Albert Barnes was not so far off
    Matthew Henry’s still in demand

I’d like to say a word fer the GB --

He likes it best without a lot of changes

For comfort he loves lots and lots of fences

So many they criss-cross the Bible’s pages!

The GB, like old Popes, decrees:
    Bring those 'postates to their knees

I’d like to say a word for the 'postate

The road he treads is difficult and stony
    He reads for days on end
    And knows he might lose all his friends

At least they might feel sorry at the "stoning"!

One man likes his Watchtower fame
    The other likes Peter, Paul and James
    Oh, the farmer and the cowman should be friends,
    Oh, the farmer and the cowman should be friends.
    One man likes to push a plough,
    The other likes to chase a cow,
    But that's no reason why they cain't be friends.

Territory folks should stick together,
    Territory folks should all be pals.
    Cowboys dance with farmer's daughters,
    Farmers dance with the ranchers' gals.

I'd like to say a word fer the farmer

He come out west and made a lot of changes

He come out west and built a lot of fences,

And built 'em right across our cattle ranges.

Oh, the farmer and the cowman should be friends,
    The cowman ropes a cow with ease,
    The farmer steals her butter and cheese,
    That's no reason why they cain't be friends

I'd to say a word for the cowboy--

The road he treads is difficult and stoney
    He rides fer days on end
    With just a poney fer a friend

I sure am feelin' sorry fer the poney!

One man likes to push a plough,
    The other likes to chase a cow,
    But that's no reason why they cain't be friends.""""""
  • cyberjesus
    cyberjesus

bumped

• startingover
    startingover

It was great reading through this thread again. Too bad the links ot the pictures and cartoons have gone bad.

• clarity
    clarity

Great reading - Bumped for the newbies

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit