First time I didn't refuse Blood ...

by reneeisorym 2 Replies latest jw friends

• reneeisorym
    reneeisorym

I had surgery Dec 28th, 07 (you can skip the first paragraph .. it's just venting)

I have had issues getting my insurance company to pay. It's not the insurance company's fault. I've had this insurance for years and never anything but excellent service. It's the hospital. They won't answer the phone when I call the patient accounts department and they won't file a claim to the insurance company. The hospital keeps sending me bills and has now sent me to a collection agency !! ..UGH .. So I called the insurance company and asked them for help. They told me that I could get an "operative report" and the bill from the hospital and anesthesia bill and they would pay directly to me and I could then send them a check... ANYWAY

I get the operative report today and the first sentence is this: "After informed consent was obtained and blood products were made available, the patient was taken to the operating room." ... AAAHHH .. I almost fainted. I didn't get a blood transfusion but that freaked me out! Anyone else been faced with this and almost had a nervous break-down? LOL

• wildflowermeadow
    wildflowermeadow

Nope. For some reason I never tripped over the JW blood ruling. I'm an RN and used to work critical care and ER after baptism. I kept hanging blood if it was ordered (two RNs--must it be an RN or MD--have to sign off on the unit, identifying the right blood for the right patient--this is done even if it's critical, it's just done fast). I don't see how an RN can work ICU or ER, particularly in a Level one trauma center, and not participate in hanging blood. I simply didn't say anything about my job to fellow witnesses. I figured if the patient wanted blood, it was no business of mine to interfere. My job was patient care and to keep people alive. I would have a hard time NOT hanging blood if someone was bleeding out, especially a child, even right after baptism. Don't think I could stand by and watch someone die when there was possibly something I could do to prevent it. Life is sacred. Never carried a blood card either.

• undercover
    undercover
    Anyone else been faced with this and almost had a nervous break-down?

Yep...but I wasn't worried. I knew that I wasn't going to refuse blood if it was required. My doctors were thoroughly informed of my past and my present beliefs and they had my complete cooperation to use blood products if required. I knew I was doing the right thing and I was confident in the doctors to do what they felt was best for my situation. Damn the JW opinions about blood.

But...going back to your first paragraph...I can totally relate to that. I've had a nightmare of a time getting the insurance to explain to me why I supposedly owe more than my deductible for the year. I was supposed to have a total out-of-pocket expense that is now double that. And no one can...or will...explain it.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit