For Rud Persson on Passover

by JosephMalik 3 Replies latest watchtower bible

• JosephMalik
    JosephMalik

On Channel C where I do not have posting privileges Rud Persson indicated that I did not understand the Date and Time that our Lord died. He and others were showing that I did not measure time the way the scriptures indicated along with other details provided in my book. Since my posts were being delayed by days, not posted in their proper locations and many of them were not posted at all this discussion could not be resolved there. For example this most recent comment was made by him:

Rud Persson said: You claimed that the Gospel did speak about a prolonged imprisonment for Jesus. I had denied that and I deny it now. Such a long period is certainly not mentioned, and for that reason the overwhelming majority of Bible readers have never had a clue about such a thing. You have been misled by the plural form of the word Sabbath in parts of the Greek text about the Passion. The plural in question does not refer to two consecutive Sabbaths, as claimed by a few. This will be dealt with in a separate post.

So Rud Persson if you would like to deal with this in a separate post then you should do it here where I do have equal privileges and where I can respond in real time and can speak more freely. How about it Rud. I have already shown you that our Lord did not die on the day of the feast or the Sabbath on which it occurred that year . He died on a day of preparation which was days later. And I know that topic will expose most denominations, cults, and scholars as not being accurate sources of truth. Our discipleship is not dependent upon their association or information.

What I have learned from simply reading the scriptures is that our Lord ate the Passover with his disciples according to Law. The date was Nisan 15. This made the meal a feast day and part of a 7 day festival. Our Lord did not die on such a holy feast day. The Romans imprisoned our Lord for some six days as they interrogated him, scourged him and passed him between Pilot and Herod. Then our Lord after appearing with Pilat on the 12th hour made that difficult journey to Calvary where they nailed up our Lord on the third hour which would be 9PM our time approximately. It took 18 hours for our Lord to die on this day of preparation for the 7th day of this feast which was a Thursday afternoon or Nisan 20 on that year. This resulted in three days and three nights in the grave.

So if you have a problem with any of this then JWD is where you should speak up so that many more can appreciate your views. This is the only place that I have to clear my name from your many accusations.

Joseph

• JosephMalik
    JosephMalik

Posted by RudPersson on Sun - Jun 15 - 5:29pm:

Run Persson said: Underlying the view that Jesus died on a Thursday and rose on a Sunday - also the view that he died on a Wednesday and rose on a Saturday - is the taking of the plural form of the word sabbath in texts like Matthew 28:1 quite literally, claiming that actually two sabbaths passed beteen the death of our Lord and his resurrection. It is stressed that the text should read "After the sabbaths" in Matthew 28:1 rather than "after the sabbath" as the overwhelming majority of Bible translations read. The plural form of the word sabbath at Mark 16:2; Luke 24:1 and John 20:1,19 is also referred to by some. It is then claimed that one of the sabbaths was the first day of the festival of unleavened bread, Nisan 15, while the other sabbath was the regular seventh day sabbath.

Rud,

Malik responds: While the first day of the festival of unleavened bread, Nisan 15 may be claimed by some that day and that first meal was now past. Time does not move backwards to now include it. This was preparation, the second preparation that took place during this Passover (also called the feast of unleavened bread). This day of preparation would make the unleavened bread used on that mandated 7 th holy day from new grain as this was the beginning of the feast of weeks as well. So when John wrote these words such a claim was no longer possible. John 19:31 when placed on a calendar of that month this verse shows that it was the 7 th day of that Passover feast that combined with a weekly Sabbath on that year. "The Jews therefore, because it was the preparation, that the bodies should not remain upon the cross on the sabbath day, (for that sabbath day was an high day,) besought Pilate that their legs might be broken, and that they might be taken away." When such a 7 day feast begins on a Saturday or weekly Sabbath the way it did that year we have a Sabbath of only 24 hours. But then the 7 th day of that feast will always produce such Friday and Saturday combinations at the end of it of for a 48 hour duration. This is inevitable and common to other feasts as well. So John was correct in saying of this longer duration that it was a great Sabbath and he expected us to understand its meaning. Other combinations of Sabbaths are also possible for similar reasons and all of them should be tried and fitted to the texts involved. Claiming it was Nisan 15 means nothing in this such a discussion.

Rud said: This view fails to take into account that (1) the plural form of the Greek word for "sabbath" must often be understood in a singular sense and also may mean "week" and (2) that a festival day on which no laborious work was permitted was never called "sabbath" in the OT or in the rabbinic writings, where other terms were used.

Malik responds: Sabbaths can indeed mean other things in other cases of longer duration but we are not talking about them here. However saying that a festival day was never called "sabbath" is simply false as it was done in this case and many times by other authors as well. Your comments simply deny what anyone can see for themselves. We have such confirmation from Matthew and others as well. The very Law you refer to allowed for the preparation of food on such a sabbaths so such activity does not constitute proof or alter such facts presented to us in scripture as it takes precedence over your opinion and weekly sabbath law as well.

Rud Persson said: As to the first issue, the translation of Robert Young is frequently appealed to. At Matthew 28:1 it says: "AND on the eve of the sabbaths, at the dawn, toward the first of the sabbaths, came Mary the Magdalene, and the other Mary, to see the sepulchre."

If the plural "sabbaths" here, used twice, is to be taken at absolute face value we will get a very strange sense indeed!

Malik responds: This comment made it clear that it was now the first of the week and stressed this point as if to emphasize it Do we see this done in the other accounts of it as well? No! Then there is nothing strange here other than your denial and attempts to discredit this text. If we turn to Mark we see this recorded like this: Mark 16: 1 And the sabbath having past, Mary the Magdalene, and Mary of James, and Salome, bought spices, that having come, they may anoint him, 2 and early in the morning of the first of the sabbaths, they come unto the sepulchre, at the rising of the sun, In this verse sabbaths plural is mentioned only once. Since that second sabbath was a weekly one, the exact one "having past" the sabbath for the feast was not taken into consideration until the second verse where it was now included. You can do this either way as such context shows but two sabbath days are still meant.

Rud Persson said: But fortunately we should not. "Sabbaths" frequently means just "sabbath", and sometimes, as in the second instance, it means "week". As to the singular meaning of "sabbaths" it is helpful to note that the LXX, the Greek pre-Christian translation of the OT, used the plural form with singular meaning again and again and again. It was so used even in the central text of Ex. 20:10. Strictly literally the LXX here reads "On the seventh day is the SABBATHS of the Lord your God". (Emphasis added) Undisputable evidence that "sabbaths" may mean just "sabbath"!

Malik responds: But it does not say that in the Hebrew texts does it? And since the numbering system used for the LXX you refer to does not match the one I have we do not even know what the verse is all about do we? This is the problem with translations. I would expect the word Sabbaths to be plural in some cases but not in all cases since such things happened. This is the very thing we are discussing. Is it plural in all cases? If not then your evidence is not undisputable and that text may mean just what it says at that particular time. Your confirmation should have been taken from the Hebrew text and not a translation of it anyway if it is to be taken as undisputable evidence. We had a discussion on the LXX here some time ago. It was about when it was compiled. While some Hebrew texts existed in Greek at the time of our Lord evidence was presented that the LXX did not so you cannot even provide evidence that any of the disciples actually read from the manuscripts versions you offer, but that is another matter. You can Google it for yourself..

Rud Persson said: The same is true in the NT. With the logic of the literal translation of Matthew 28:1 etc. Matthew 12:1 could then be rendered "At that time Jesus went trough the grainfields on the SABBATHS; his disciples were hungry" (emphasis added) Mark 3:2 could then equally properly be rendered: "They watched him to see whether he would cure him on the SABBATHS, so that they might accuse him." (Emphasis added) We could then also treat the plural at Mark 2:23; Luke 4:16; 13:10; Acts 13:14; 16:13 and other texts in exactly the same way. Nobody has ever been tempted to do just that. And therefore the plural in texts like Matthew 28;1 should not be taken that way either. The singular is used in Greek at Mark 16:1, so in the parallel text of Matthew 28:1 the first plural should also be taken as singular in meaning.

Malik responds: Somebody did make such an attempt. The reality of plural Sabbaths is found in such texts and yet it is denied. This is what I have been saying all along. The evidence is right there in front of you in plain sight but no one believes it.

Rud Persson said: The second plural in that text means "week", and that is the sense also in Mark 16:2; Luke 24:1 and John 20:1,19. Robert Young himself understood all these texts that way, as can be seen in his CONCISE COMMENTARY ON THE HOLY BIBLE from the early 1890 ยด s. A text like Luke 18:12 is crucial here. "I fast twice a week" - which all translations say - could in fact be rendered "I fast twice a sabbath" if the meaning "week" was not obvious here. Not even Young and not even Ferrar Fenton used the word "sabbath" in this text!

Malik responds: Sabbath is singular here and no one is denying that this word can be used in this way. Such use does not alter other verses where it appears. Since it literally says I fast twice a sabbath how do you know it does not really mean that? Missing two meals on that day would be a reasonable assumption as well. Is it any wonder that to deny the reality of Mark 16:2 that you must run all over the bible where other matters are being discussed looking for evidence to the contrary? Word matches are not proof and often distort the meaning of texts.

Rud Persson said: So the common Bible translations have not fiddled with Matthew 28:1 and related texts. Only one sabbath is in view and then the first day of the week, Sunday, is also in view.

This means that Matthew 28:1 and related texts cannot be used to change the traditional view about Good Friday, nor can it be used to replace the Sunday resurrection with a Saturday resurrection.

Malik responds: Common Bible translations have fiddled with Matthew 28:1 and similar verses and now everyone can see it for themselves. They do this with other verses as well which is why we have so many. The traditional view? Is that your proof?

Rud Persson said: In addition, there is no legitimate way of counting Nisan 15 as one of two alleged "sabbaths" between crucifixion and resurrection. The Scriptures differentiate between sabbaths and festival days in no uncertain terms, even though a number of festival-days had some characteristics of the sabbaths. Lev. 23:37,38 is to the point:

Malik responds: There is no legitimate way of counting Nisan 15 as one of the two alleged "sabbaths" between crucifiction and resurrection. This is indeed true and I am not doing that. I am counting Nisan 21 and the weekly Sabbath of Nisan 22 which is legitimate. On Sunday afternoon we have: Luke 24:20 And how the chief priests and our rulers delivered him to be condemned to death, and have crucified him. 21 But we trusted that it had been he which should have redeemed Israel: and beside all this, to day is the third day since these things were done. So today is the third day of this death by crucifiction. Count back now three days from this statement on Sunday afternoon. Saturday afternoon is one day. Friday afternoon is two days. Thursday afternoon is the third day which was Nisan 20 and a day of preparation for the seventh day of the feast of Nisan 21, Friday that year. They normally counted days from evening to evening anyway but the starting time in this verse was specific so this is not unusual. You have known this for over 25 years now and took me to task over it as and we covered this on Channel C already.

Rud Persoon said: "These are the appointed festivals of the LORD, which you shall celebrate as times of holy convocation, for presenting to the LORD offerings by fire - burnt offerings and grain offerings, sacrifices and drink offerings, each on its proper day - apart from the sabbaths of the LORD". (NRSV)

Malik responds: They are indeed apart from the sabbaths and this gives them precedence over them when they occur at the same time. So what is your point? How does this alter Matthew 28:1 or Mark, or John? What it does do is verify that such festivals at times not only override but also extend such sabbaths of the LORD.

1 Chron. 23:31 is another clear example: "whenever burnt offerings are offered to the LORD on sabbaths, new moons, and appointed festivals, according to the number required of them". (NRSV)

Malik responds: More than one new moon and festival is being discussed here and for this reason sabbaths is plural. Such use is expected and has nothing in common with the verses under discussion.

Rud Persson said: The same difference is made in 2 Chron. 2:4; 8:13; 31:3; Neh. 10:31,33; Is. 1:13; Lam. 2:6; Hos. 2:11 and also Col. 2:16.

Rud Persson said: Too, there is a whole Tractate in the Mishnah dealing with "Festival Days", called Yom Tob or Betzah. It never calls any of the festival days "sabbath". There is also a whole Tractate covering the Sabbath, and it never applies the word "sabbath" to any festival day.

Rud Persson said: There were substantial differences, accounting for this. It was allowed to prepare meals on the festival days, except the Day of Atonement, and no death penalty for working was mentioned or applied concerning most of the festival days. Working on the sabbath meant the death penalty. Working on, say Nisan 15, meant 40 stripes save one. (Maimonides)

Malik responds: This is more of the same reasoning, non of which applies to the subject under discussion. Then once again:

Rud Persson said: There has been assertions to the effect that the festival days were real sabbaths, also in name, but proof has never come forth. That is not surprising. The evidence is to the contrary.

Malik responds: The evidence is simply denied as shown in this discussion. Such feast days were not only Sabbaths but they had precedence over such weekly Sabbath days as they were apart from them.

Rud said: There will be one more post on "the great sabbath" addressing objections, but after that I will concentrate on writing. There is a lot of writing to be done, so discussions here must end, othewise very little will come off my hands.

Malik responds: I look forward to it Rud.

Joseph

• JosephMalik
    JosephMalik

Posted by RudPersson on Mon - Jun 16 - 05:11am:

Rud Persson said: This is a response to the objections posted by Joseph Malik on June 8, 8:27 pm.

Joseph,

Rud Persson said: When I pointed out that Jews never counted 48 hours, two consecutive days, as a "great sabbath", you stated that you relied on the Jewish sources Matthew, Mark, Luke and John, claiming that they "discuss such plural sabbaths", referring specifically to John 20:1.

Rud Persson said: The Jewish disciples mentioned here did not speak of two days and they did not "discuss such plural sabbaths". John 19:31 speaks specifically of only one day, one sabbath that was considered great, and John 20:1 does not in actual fact speak about two sabbaths, and certainly not two sabbaths that had taken place while Jesus was in the grave. Robert Young rendered the text: "It being, therefore, evening, on that day, the first of the sabbaths, and the doors having been shut where the disciples were assembled."

Rud,

Malik responds: I believe John was Jewish and he is my source that this was done. And it was shown that Matthew, Mark, Luke and John did make it a point to identify such plural Sabbaths on that feast that year. What was also shown is that John 19:31 identified this configuration of a holy feast day and weekly Sabbath as "great." for similar reasons. Taken together these two Sabbath days were nothing less than "great." From this information we can now construct an accurate calendar for that entire month on that year which confirms all this. And your reference to John 10:19 is simply another confirmation of this fact. They were all saying this which you keep denying. So two Sabbaths did take place while Jesus was in the grave since scriptural evidence and not opinion determine what took place. This is not the complex subject that many make it out to be.

Rud Persson said: If it was the first of the sabbaths then, it could not refer to time that had passed before that. Robert Young pointed out in his Concise Commentary at this text that "from Luke 18.12; Acts 20.7; 1 Cor. 16.2, the Greek word appears to be not really a plural". He understood it to mean "week", as is generally done, so that "the first of the sabbaths" means the first day of the week, i. e. Sunday. Otherwise it would have to refer to a sabbath when the disciples realized that Jesus had risen and also a sabbath following such a sabbath. That would not make sense at all, and it certainly would not establish two sabbaths on the preceding Friday and Saturday.

Malik responds: What would we have if this seventh day of the feast occurred on the first day of the week so that we had Saturday and Sunday as Sabbath days after which our Lord was raised. Then we would have "It was the second of the sabbaths or the second day of the week after such Sabbaths. So interpretation simply missed this and we had this confusion for a long time. But the scriptures are confirming that such Sabbaths took place of Friday and Saturday which resulted in a resurrection on the first day of the week or Sunday.

Rud Persson said: You say that plural sabbaths or "two sabbaths" the way you understand it here "are still recognized as valid" and that you have "real living Jewish evidence" for that. What you offer are mere assertions. I have never gotten any such evidence, and I very much doubt there is any, and that is an understatement. I believe you have misunderstood your Jewish living sources. I am sure the Jews never call, or have called, a 48-hour period as such, involving Saturday, a "great" sabbath. I am sure that they have, at most, spoken of one 24 hour day as a "great sabbath". And that could only have been a special Saturday sabbath.

Malik responds: You can believe whatever you want. But scholars like Young and others are just as suspect as the ones you reject so we should get rid of them all. I have no problem with this and do not need them for proof. The subject was so incredible that I had to investigate it the best way I could at the time. I doubt if any of them are still alive now anyway.

Rud Persson said: Regarding the "great sabbath" mentioned as taking place on February 23 in The Martyrdom of Polycarp from the 2nd century, you challenge my suggestion that it was a Saturday sabbath that coincided with the non-sabbatical feast of Purim:

Malik stated at the time: "How do you know for sure? Jewish festivals were variables, they floated around and could combine with a weekly sabbath and alter them."

Rud Persson continues: It could refer only to Purim. It could not refer to the Passover season which never took place in February. True, the festivals could float a little, but February 23 could never fall during Passover. It could not refer to any other of the festivals stipulated in the Law, these being too far away in time. It could not refer to the feast of Dedication taking place in December. But even it it could, work was allowed during Hanukkah, as it was during Purim as well. So such a festival day coming before or after the weekly sabbath could never be counted as a sabbath, to make a 48 hour sabbath together with the weekly sabbath. But if such a non-sabbatical festival day took place ON the weekly sabbath, it could make that sabbath "great". This is the only reasonable way to understand the "great sabbath" of Martyrdom of Polycarp VIII and XXI. And that certainly provides a parallel to John 19:31, making it easy to understand that the sabbath day mentioned - it does not say two days - could be viewed as great. It was great because it fell during Passover season, and both Nisan 15 and Nisan 16 are excellent alternatives considering what was to take place on both of these days.

Malik responds: Once again the conversation is taken away from scripture to unreliable secular sources. Insistence not scripture rules the outcome. And such configurations of weekly sabbaths and holy feast days are not restricted to Passover so combining Passover with Purim is simply nonsense. Now feast days other than Purim can clearly make such plural sabbaths but this is simply denied. The only reasonable way to understand the "great sabbath" is to plot it out for yourselves the way I did. Nisan 15 and Nisan 16 were taken into consideration but did not fit all the scriptures involved and are not excellent alternatives considering what took place during Passover week.

Rud Persson said; As to Mark 15:42 you say that "the paraskeue also found is not restricted to Friday". Since we disagree as to the NT evidence, evidence for your claim must come from outside the NT. And it seems there is only evidence for Friday in other ancient sources. The Greek word prosabbton was also used only about Friday.

Malik responds: Evidence for my claim came from NT texts themselves and not from outside sources the way yours did. I do not have to go beyond what is written for proof. You do not have to agree with it, that is your privilege and the basis for this discussion. But that does not make my views wrong and unsupported or force me to go outside for proof. All that Mark 15:42 is saying is: 42 And now when the even was come, because it was the preparation, that is, the day before the sabbath, Mark does not say it was the sixth day of the week does he? No! This is all assumed, yet the calendar for that week does not support such a conclusion. Preparation moved around during such feasts since they moved around as did their holy Sabbath days such as the one identified here. Preparation is therefore not fixed on Friday and neither is the day before the Sabbath for the same reasons. We learn this by tracking the events in real time and not just by using words that also apply to other days in other texts.

Rud Persson: You had some problem with the absence of the death penalty for working on Nisan 15 and other festival days. You offered nothing to counter my claim in this regard. The Law did not say that working on such a day would be punsihed by death, as it clearly stated about the weekly sabbath and also about the Day of Atonement.

Malik responds: I had no problem with this but such a discussion simply avoids the truths under discussion. You know that Law not only applied to this feast but to others as well. So I offered: Le 7:21 Moreover the soul that shall touch any unclean thing, as the uncleanness of man, or any unclean beast, or any abominable unclean thing, and eat of the flesh of the sacrifice of peace offerings, which pertain unto the LORD, even that soul shall be cut off from his people. And other things such as eating leavened bread were not taken lightly either for we have: Ex 12:15 Seven days shall ye eat unleavened bread; even the first day ye shall put away leaven out of your houses: for whosoever eateth leavened bread from the first day until the seventh day, that soul shall be cut off from Israel. Therefore someone so contaminated could not eat any bread at all of any other kind for these seven days. So you have nothing to alter the texts under discussion. And the Law did make an exception on such holy sabbath days by allowing food to be prepared. Ex 12:16 And in the first day there shall be an holy convocation, and in the seventh day there shall be an holy convocation to you; no manner of work shall be done in them, save that which every man must eat, that only may be done of you. So you had no basis for even bringing all this up in the first place.

Rud Persson said: That working on Nisan 15 and 21 and other festival days did not lead to the death penalty, shows that there was a clear difference between the sabbath and the festival days, which in fact were not referred to as sabbaths. It is true that such festival days could alter the weekly sabbath, but it worked both ways. The sabbath also altered the festival days. Nevertheless, a clear difference prevailed, and that means that Matthew 28:1 and related texts do not deal with two sabbaths, one of which was Nisan 15 or 21.

Malik responds: Festival days altered weekly sabbath days as they had precedence so we have clear disagreement here. But the Babylonian Talmud I have printed by the Talmud Society, Boston in 1918 by Rodkinson, volume 4 which volume is devoted to festivals in chapter V on page 72 in the Mishna that begins this page states in the body of the text: "(This is the rule) : There is no difference between the Sabbath and the festival, except that the preparation of food is permitted on the latter." So I leave this up to the readers to decide for themselves.

Joseph

• JosephMalik
    JosephMalik

For now the topic seems to have come to an end. Questions such as this one were simply ignored.

Posted by CommentFromViewer on Sun - Jun 15 - 1:45pm:

Rud,
    While we are waiting would you please explain what Jewish date and around what time the following events took place:

Joh 18:28 Then led they Jesus from Caiaphas unto the hall of judgment: and it was early; and they themselves went not into the judgment hall, lest they should be defiled; but that they might eat the passover.

Joh 18:39 But ye have a custom, that I should release unto you one at the passover: will ye therefore that I release unto you the King of the Jews?

Joh 19:14 And it was the preparation of the passover, and about the sixth hour: and he saith unto the Jews, Behold your King!

Mr 15:25 And it was the third hour, and they crucified him.

Lu 23:44 And it was about the sixth hour, and there was a darkness over all the earth until the ninth hour.

There is nothing wrong with the way any of the Gospel writers told time. Such eyewitness accounts should never have been altered by scholars to fit some preconceived notions. The third hour here could be 9AM or 9PM since it applied just as well to the third hour of the day or the third hour of the night. This applies to the sixth hour as well. Following where we are in time identifies the correct understanding of this statement for us. We can now see the differenct between 12 noon or the sixth hour and 9PM the third hour after this sixth hour and the time it took to reach Calvary during this execution. And others realizing the problems involved in traditional views had to move some texts out of the way by using grammar or other means to discredit them. Thus the remaining meals that used the mandatory unleavened bread would not be recognized as the Passover like: Joh 18:28 Then led they Jesus from Caiaphas unto the hall of judgment: and it was early; and they themselves went not into the judgment hall, lest they should be defiled; but that they might eat the passover. Yet we know that John was tracking this passover when he described the foot washing that took place during it. He was well aware as to where he was in time when he wrote this.

Comment by others: You misunderstand my view. My view is that John gives a different date for Jesus' death than the Synoptic Gospels. John has Jesus die on the day before Passover, and Matthew, Mark and Luke have Jesus die on the day of Passover itself.

This is the way things go on this subject. John was wrong in other words or not in agreement. Errors of every kind will be found at the highest level in literature and by scholars. Yet, once we know that there are problems, and once we get started with a careful investigation of the texts, such errors can now be exposed. All this has been discussed here on JWD many times. The rest of the community has yet to catch up with this forum.

Joseph

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit