Hope of earthly paradise and its critics: nothing new under the sun

by behemot 4 Replies latest watchtower bible

• behemot
    behemot

Apparently also among early centuries' Christians there were some who believed in an earthly paradise and in physical blessings, just like modern JWs do.

And I found amusing how the following criticism by Church Fathers, pointing out the basic hedonism behind such beliefs, looks very much like comments often directed against JWs:

"(...) at this time Cerinthus, the author of another heresy, made his appearance. Caius (...) writes as follows concerning this man: "But Cerinthus (...) says that after the resurrection the kingdom of Christ will be set up on earth, and that the flesh dwelling in Jerusalem will again be subject to desires and pleasures. And (...) he asserts, with the purpose of deceiving men, that there is to be a period of a thousand years for marriage festivals". And Dionysus, who was bishop of the parish of Alexandria in our day (...) mentions this same man in the following words: "(...) the doctrine which he taught was this: that the kingdom of Christ will be an earthly one. And as he was himself devoted to the pleasures of the body and altogether sensual in his nature, he dreamed that that kingdom would consist in those things which he desired, namely, in the delights of the belly and of sexual passion, that is to say, in eating and drinking and marrying, and in festivals (...) under the guise of which he thought he could indulge his appetites with a better grace." - Eusebius, Historia Ecclesiastica, III, 28, 2,5

"Certain persons, then, refusing the labour of thinking, and adopting a superficial view of the letter of the law, and yielding rather in some measure to the indulgence of their own desires and lusts, being disciples of the letter alone, are of the opinion that the fulfilment of the promises of the future are to be looked for in bodily pleasure and luxury; and therefore they especially desire to have again, after the resurrection, such bodily structures as may never be without the power of eating, and drinking, and performing all the functions of the flesh and blood, not following the opinion of the Apostle Paul regarding the resurrection of a spiritual body (...) and they think that they are to receive the wealth of the nations to live on, and they will have control over their riches (...) And these views they think to establish on the authority of the prophets (...) and many other scriptural illustrations are adduced by them, the meaning of which they do not perceive is to be taken figuratively. then, again, agreeably to the form of things in this life, and according to the gradations of the dignities or ranks in this world (...) they think they are to be kings and princes (...) And to speak shortly, according to the manner of things in this life in all similar matters, do they desire the fulfilment of all things looked for in the promises, viz., that what now is should exist again. Such are the views of those who, while believing in Christ, understand the divine Scriptures in a sort of Jewish sense, drawing from them nothing worthy of the divine promises."

People don't seem to change much, after all.

Behemot

• behemot
    behemot

... oops! Forgot to add the source of the second quotation (I didn't mean to imitate the vagueness of WT publications quotation mode).

Here it is: Origenes, De Principiis, II, 11, 2

Behemot

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

The "secret" society I bought into to slap the washtowel in the face also believes in a paradise earth and living forever. The key difference is that they believe in man doing it ourselves through the power of science and the free market. There is no God that is going to bring paradise upon man, or let us live forever. Additionally, each one of us will be using our talents to think, and therefore help further the cause of humanity living forever and solving our problems.

The washtowel believes that we have "only" to obey the Filthful and Disgraceful Slavebugger, the commands of which do not stimulate independent thinking or creation. God is supposed to bring on the paradise, leaving us at His mercy. And that means He can (=will) be petty and capricious when it comes to "blessings". And we will have no business, science, or free market. Life will be stagnant and dreadful--no one will be working toward solving problems or expanding the realm of existence. Which I have no use for.

Better to do it myself, and then expand the realm of existence. That would be far more stimulating, with me being my own God (meaning being able to set the conditions myself and decide myself what is moral and immoral). And I would get to explore the true limits of science. Not like the washtowel.

• DonutsToGo
    DonutsToGo

A good book on the subject is, "Heaven, A History" by Colleen McDannell and Bernhard Lang, as it traces the historical evolution of the ideology of Heaven, and the afterlife.

Some of the earliest Christian writings of John of Patmos, Papias, and Irenaeus speak toward the coming of a paradise earth. There is historical linkage between these writers going back to John of Patmos in Asia-Minor, who wrote Revelation.

Later Christian writers such as Eusebius and Origen rejected these ideas and were sometimes critical of the writers. For instance, Eusebius referred to Papias as, "a man of small mental capacity"

The concept of Heaven has been ever changing. Often times the modern idea of Heaven matches the JW's view of Paradise Earth, except for location. Perhaps, you've been at a funeral and heard the preacher speak about dear departed, Uncle Bob who loved to play golf, and now is playing the best 18-holes in the universe.

• behemot
    behemot

It could be added that, unlike modern JWs, early Christians usually intended a paradise earth as a temporary stage (1000 years long) in the eschatological path toward approaching God and heavenly spiritual realities.

On the other hand, Church Fathers such as Eusebius and Origen, representatives of what would become the "mainstream" Church, criticised the "millenarists" as obtuse literalists and their beliefs as shallow, materialistic and, eventually, unworthy of God; a judgement mainly founded, on one side, on Greek philosophic cathegories (Platonism, Stoicism) which tend to favour the spiritual, moral and intellectual dimensions over the physical, bodily and sensual ones and, on the other side, on the interpretation of the millenial kingdom not as a physical future event but as a current spiritual one, under fulfillment in the life of the Church.

Behemot

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit