Disaster Preparedness

by passwordprotected 4 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• passwordprotected
    passwordprotected

As an elder I have a file on my computer containing the name, address, cell and home telephone number of every publisher associated with the congregation of which I am a part. It is my understanding that this information is also held at the Branch and, in turn, at Brooklyn. The reasoning behind the need to have such information on all of the publishers is that, in the event of a disaster, be it through 'nature' or design, the elders will be able to contact the 'flock'. But the flaw inherent in that logic has been made clear in Burma and China. A disaster of any scale usually wipes out electricity supplies and telephone lines. Therefore, a file, electronic or paper, detailing the addresses and telephone numbers of the 'flock' is essentially useless. Anyone every thought about this before?

• Seeker4
    Seeker4

Hey PWP - yeah. It could help in some circumstances - but I doubt that many computers in New Orleans were running after Katrina.

I do have a question for you: I've been privately writing to an elder who is trying to fade, like yourself. I'm waiting for some info from him on this GB letter about elders and MS and college.

There have been some conflicting threads on this, and I'd like your take on exactly what you heard said. You could post it here or PM me. I'd like to do a thread and spell out what the letter said accurately.

Thanks!

S4

• sir82
    sir82
    It is my understanding that this information is also held at the Branch and, in turn, at Brooklyn.

Really?

That's not my experience. The Society suggested that each BOE keep & maintain such a list, but I don't ever recall any instruction saying to forward it to the Society.

Such a master list would be outdated by hundreds if not thousands of names every week. People move, people die, people get D-F'ed, etc. There are 10,000+ congregations in the US.

They'd have to have several full-time lackeys devoted to just updating their databases with all the changes. The Society is cutting workers, not adding them.

What do you base your statement above on?

• logic&reason
    logic&reason

I don't recall the elders making a real effort to maintain those lists until after Katrina... then it was on everyone's short list.

I guess the Holy Spirit really didn't have it on his/its radar until CNN and all of the newspapers started recommending that everyone create a disaster plan.

Do you guys know if this was an "elder mandate" before the huricane seasons of 2004 and 2005?

• winnower
    winnower

The worst flaw of all is that none of you have questioned the security of your personal information. Hitler used census records to track the Jews. The US used census records to track Japanese Americans in this country during WWII and imprisoned entire families simply because of their genetics. They were not spies. They were families that had lived here for years. In 2004 the census bureau turned over data of all Arab ancestry in USA to Homeland Security. WTS has never given you any statement of confidentiality. Even if you are DA or DF your records are still kept on file. If you have given them any personal info concerning where you can be located in emergency....you better change your plans and keep it to yourself! news excerpt June 11, 2008:

A computer containing sensitive details on 600,000 prospective military recruits was snatched from the car of a Royal Navy recruitment officer in central England in January.

The data included details of candidates' religions and some banking records. It was not encrypted.

In another breach, tax officials last year lost computer disks containing information — including banking records — on nearly half the British population.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080611/ap_on_re_eu/britain_lost_documents

Winnower

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit