Are JW's allowed to go to Alcoholic's Anonomous?

by digderidoo 32 Replies latest jw friends

• digderidoo
    digderidoo

Hi all

I went to an AA meeting tonight for the first time in a few weeks. After about 6 weeks of attempting to control my drinking in a social way, i feel that it best to go the abstinence route as i wasn't really enjoying it.

Anyway i got to thinking afterwards whether JW's are allowed to go to them? I have heard how some elders disaprove of them because it's classed as a spriitual program. But as the AA welcomes atheists or whatever beliefs, the spiritual side in terms of religion is not the cornerstone of recovery if you choose not to believe in god. Plus the spiritual side of it is to have a God of your own understanding, this would surely sit well with a witness.

So is the discouragement of JW's to be in AA an official one or is it just individual elders who say that witnesses can't? Is there anything in literature about it?

The fact of the matter is that i am thinking of telling my mom about my AA attendence. I'm sure she will be happy that i am doing something about my alcoholism, but i wonder if she is going to start looking into the WT literature about it.

Paul

• crazyblondeb
    crazyblondeb

In my old congregation it was HIGHLY frowned upon. You should be able to "lean on Jah" blah blah blah....

That is wasting time with worldly people. Never mind the prayer at the beginning and end. You don't have time to work the steps, after all they

interfere.........way too much worldly contact......why do you need a sponsor--you have jehovah!!

PRAY TO JEHOVAH, DO MORE MEETINGS, MORE FIELD CIRCUS......THAT IS THE ANSWER....BROTHERS AND SISTERS....

*excuse me while I go puke, after reminding myself of that freaking voice*

• Lady Zombie
    Lady Zombie

I would imagine it would be a conscious matter, however I can see some despot elder persecuting a JW in the AA program.

They would make the individual feel like a failure because they had to go to AA instead of simply praying to Jehovah for help to stop drinking. How many stories do they tell of brothers and sisters who were addicted to drugs while in the world but kicked the habit permanantly once they came into the truth.

AA, unlike JWs, tries to provide non-judgemental support for its members.

• Dagney
    Dagney

I know many who have gone. Most have done it without telling the BOE; it's something they know they need and the elders are ill equipped to handle it.

Most elders would not recommend going, I think, but what could they do to you if you did? Unless you were a servant, I don't think they can do anything to you.

Kudos BTW for going and I wish you continued success.

• Hope4Others
    Hope4Others

I think the 10 step program was frowned upon but what don't they frown upon...help is help....

tell them to screw off.

h4o

• Octarine Prince
    Octarine Prince

http://forums.3rd-millennium-inc.com/YaBB.pl

for the information.

The fellowship can come from AA, if you choose, or somewhere
    else you feel comfortable.

• digderidoo
    digderidoo

OP i can't get into the thread without registering on the forum. Could you cut and paste it if you have access?

Paul

• JK666
    JK666

Paul,

I was DF'ed for drunkenness, and I got my act together by going to AA. When I tried to get reinstated, it was strongly pointed out to me that I could get the help I needed through the congregation. I quit going to AA on the elder's advice, and tried to use one elder as my "sponsor."

He was a total dick, and would make sure that he would have quality time with my wife alone at his apartment, trying of course, "to help." I ended up getting reinstated, but without the support that I received from AA, I got drunk soon after. I ended up getting DF'ed again, just because I was stupid enough to tattle on myself when I slipped.

I do not know what the official stand on AA is. I know that at their convenience the Society quotes from the AA big book, but only the punitive parts, like "To the Employer."

F 'em, I don't care what they think anymore.

JK

• Pistoff
    Pistoff

The WT officially relaxed their anti AA stance in 1983, basically saying that it does some good. "Christians" (jw's only) must be careful not to become involved in religious practices; that must have been their way of saying don't do the serenity prayer or the lord's prayer that AA still does.

I like NA; it focuses on addiction as the issue, not one substance, and is more recovery focused, in my opinion. They also have no religious prayers; AA says it is not religious but still uses the lord's prayer.

The elders and others in the hall have the same reaction to AA or NA that they so often have; they don't understand it, and so they fear it and talk it down.

I am alive because of recovery fellowships; NA helped me to figure out that I needed to solve the God puzzle for myself.

Recovery programs are spiritual, not religious. WT does NOT get this concept. Many other fundy groups don't either, basically saying that to regard one's higher power as anything other that GOD (as THEY define God) is wrong, and is taking from his glory or whatever.

Well they can kiss my clean and sober ass. I tried it for years their way and was not able to stay clean until I went to recovery and found other people like me. When I went to recovery I learned that I was not a moral weakling as I felt I was in the congregation for so many years.

Keep it up; it works of you work it.

I have 25 years clean this year.

• StAnn
    StAnn

How would anyone know if you're going? It's anonymous.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit