WTS and their legal costs

by heyfea 5 Replies latest jw friends

• heyfea
    heyfea

Hello to all,

Does anyone know if the WTS' lawyers are witnesses who work (volunteer for free) in Bethel? Or are they non-witnesses lawyers who charge the WTS for their legal service? If the latter is the case, then, isn't the WTS stealing from the dubs. who make donations exclusively to finance the worldwide preaching work? How much do these laywers could charge the WTS? With all the lawsuits the WTS has, they could go bankrumpt soon.

Heyfea

• digderidoo
    digderidoo

I know years ago they used to look for any professional from the r & f. There was an architect in our cong that used to do the all the building for new KH's in the UK. He worked full time for them, but only charged them a minimal fee, he was getting ripped off if you ask me but that was his ' choice '. My book study conductor was an accountant who did the UK's accounts at the Bethel, he also charged a minimal fee.

I don't know how it works now, but i would imagine that they would try to employ an active witness, if only to save money. But then again i may be wrong.

Paul

• lrkr
    lrkr

There is a legal staff at Patterson of live-in Bethel lawyers (volunteers). Somewhere between 10 and 20 of them. They have a decent support staff of paralegals and secretarys. They also have attorneys who are not regular bethelites and have private practices but who volunteer for them on a regular basis. They also outsource to attorneys who are not bethelites. Of course, where possible, they try and find witnesses that will do the work pro-bono.

Sooo, not to much in the way of legal costs. (At $150-$450/hour on the outside- they can outlast just about any legal team)

• heyfea
    heyfea

Wait a minute, you mean the WTS does not pay these guys like outside lawyers would get paid? Freaking unbelievable! I bet these lawyers do a heck of a job for them too. :-O It seems that the WTS always gets away with stuff like this. I sincerely hope they fall. Heyfea

• bobld
    bobld

I believe the scam works this way.They work for free for the WBTS,however the WBTS issues them a false invoice at going rate for Lawyers who then use this as an expense on their income tax.

Example:When a new Kingdom Hall is being built.The WBTS says it will cost 200k.The brothers in the construction business ie electrical,plumbing,painting,lumber,carpet.All will donate material and labour at an inflated price so the can get a better income tax refund,because it'a all claimed as a chartable donation.That 200k K.H. is now 500k as far as the donations.Nice way to scam the honest tax people.

I may be wrong,but dollars to donuts that some smuke that thinks he's a qualified carpenter that cleans windows will invoice the WBTS for $50 per hour for his effort.So he can take advantage of the tax provisions.Nothing wrong if done honestly.

B

• sspo
    sspo

Example:When a new Kingdom Hall is being built.The WBTS says it will cost 200k.The brothers in the construction business ie electrical,plumbing,painting,lumber,carpet.All will donate material and labour at an inflated price so the can get a better income tax refund,because it'a all claimed as a chartable donation.That 200k K.H. is now 500k as far as the donations.Nice way to scam the honest tax people.

I may be wrong,but dollars to donuts that some smuke that thinks he's a qualified carpenter that cleans windows will invoice the WBTS for $50 per hour for his effort.So he can take advantage of the tax provisions.Nothing wrong if done honestly.

Was in for 32 years and involved in quick build, never heard of anything like that.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit