WTS donations and their legal costs

by heyfea 7 Replies latest jw friends

• heyfea
    heyfea

Do you think the WT pays their lawyers with the donations which are supposed to be strictly for the world preaching work? I bet they do. They are stealing from the dubs.

Heyfea

• blondie
    blondie

If the lawyers are jws, especially, Bethel lawyers, they are not paid any more than other Bethelites are "paid." JW lawyers usually donate their time to the WTS (declaring the value on the tax report I'm sure.) On occasion the WTS has used non-jw lawyers and have paid the going rate. But being the "frugal" people they are, the WTS tries to avoid paying.

• Seeker4
    Seeker4

They have lawyers on staff at Bethel. They may also be paying attorneys outside of Bethel.

I guess it would depend on whether or not one considered paying for legal council as part of the WW Witnessing work. My guess is that they do. Now whether the rank and file would be comfortable with that set up if the WTS came clean with them about it is another thing.

The WTS is so NOT a transparent organization.

S4

• blondie
    blondie

The WTS has recommended retaining outside laywers in some cases:

*** km 12/86 p. 5 par. 12 Accelerating the Kingdom Hall Construction Program ***In some rare instances, it may be advisable for congregation elders to consult a local attorney experienced in zoning matters before proceeding with plans for the actual construction of a Kingdom Hall. While this may be an added expense, it could save the congregation extra costs later. In communities where the brothers know in advance that their project will be viewed favorably by the local city departments, this legal assistance will likely not be needed. However, where a congregation anticipates that problems will arise, it might be the course of wisdom at the outset to seek competent legal counsel locally.
  • NewYork44M
    NewYork44M
    JW lawyers usually donate their time to the WTS (declaring the value on the tax report I'm sure.)

They better not be:

You cannot deduct the value of your time or services, including:

• The value of income lost while you work as an unpaid volunteer for a qualified organization. (Pub 17 IRS)

• blondie
    blondie

Thanks for the clarification, NY44AM. It could be why the jw lawyers I new that "volunteered" did not look very happy.

• Witness 007
    Witness 007

Yeah all the pedophile money is taken from the World wide work....they can use funds as they see fit. Dumb Witness Lawyers probably work for free anyway.

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

Why else is it called the Worldwide Pedophile Defense Fund?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit