A question for your consideration.

by TooBad TooSad 4 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• TooBad TooSad
    TooBad TooSad

If the JW's did not have a gloom and doom, the sky is falling theology, would

they have any growth beside the babies that they make? The only reason that

my mother listened to the Witchtower Babble and Trick Society was because

God was going to destroy 99.9% of all mankind and usher in a wonderful paradise

in the very near future. (that was 55 years ago)

TooBad TooSad

• caliber
    caliber

Hey good to see you on line, I was just thinking yesterday; where's Toobad toosad been ? I've missed your humor

and wit . To answer your question , yes there would still be those who out a loneness and the need for Friend would

respond.

Caliber

• Jeremy C
    Jeremy C

They not only would have the same level of growth, they would have membership numbers far in excess of what they have today. Allow me to explain:

Their constant beating of the Armageddon drum leads them to engage in the following practices:

1) Manipulation and mind control tactics to maintain the sense of urgency among its members. When a group tries to maintain a never-ending perpetual sense of urgency, they must have mechanisms by which they can manipulate the minds and emotions of their members to maintain the urgent atmosphere. The manipulation and mind control tactics are one of the biggest factors that cause members to leave the organization. If the organization did not engage in their Chicken Little-style "end is near" drumbeat, there would be far less need to use psychological manipulation and coercion tactics.

2) A policy of discouraging higher education among its youth. If the organization took a "hands off" approach toward the educational decisions of its members, there would not be as high of a turn-over rate as there is now. People could pursue more invigorating and financially rewarding occupations. With more income, they could contribute more money to the organization.

3) Neglecting charitable activities such as soup kitchens, youth programs, drug and alcohol recovery support groups, and the like. Many burned out and depressed JWs would have remained in the organization had they had the option of engaging in various charitable / community activities such as helping the homeless. Instead, the organization asserts that the only legitimate means of helping the community is by distribution of its literature. This is such a backwards, regressive mindset that causes many JWs to leave.

I believe that these three factors are a direct result of the organization’s irrational and hysterical obsession with the end of the world. If they were an organization that had better educated members, and was known for engaging in charity work in the communities, they would attract and retain more members. After all, the International Red Cross has more members and volunteers than JWs. Why do you think that is?

• TooBad TooSad
    TooBad TooSad

Jeremy,

I appreciate your thought process and I do believe that you are correct. I still go to a few

of the meetings to keep the peace in the family, however life as a JW is very empty because

of a lack of charitable works. I have attended a few Catholic wedings and how I enjoyed the

music and the beauty of the church. I felt a closeness to God that I have never felt at

the Kingdom Hell. Life as a JW would be so much better if they acted Christain and

followed the teachings of Christ like loving your neighbor as yourself. JW's love their

neighbors so much that they can not wait for the God of Love to destroy them.

TBTS

• Carlos_Helms
    Carlos_Helms

It is my understanding that there are currently more x-JWs in the US than active ones.

Add to that the numbers who've been exposed by family or friends...or studied and rejected the notion. That has to number in the tens of millions.

There are LOTS of people who know all about the watchtower and have exercised their right to say "nope." I think it's less about the theology (which is strange enough) than the way it is practiced.

Carlos

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit