Micheal the Archangel

by nurse09 9 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• nurse09
    nurse09

Hi everyone. I am new to this board. I have looked on for some time now and decided to join. Reading the different posts have really helped me.

I would like to know if someone could explain why it is the the JW believe that Jesus is Micheal the Archangel. It has bene so long since I have attended or read anything by them that I cannot remember.

Anything would help. Thanks so much!

• hamilcarr
    hamilcarr

Benvenuta / Welcome to this board

I remember that they use 1 Thessalonians 4:16 to back up this claim:

16 because the Lord himself will descend from heaven with a commanding call, with an archangel’s voice and with God’s trumpet, and those who are dead in union with Christ will rise first. (NWT)

• glenster
    glenster

What I have on that is on pp.4 and 7-10 of "GTJ Brooklyn" at the next link.
    The verses the JWs leaders claim make the direct connection are near the bottom
    of p.8 below the picture of Don Adams.
    http://www.freewebs.com/glenster1/gtjbrooklyn8.htm

• yknot
    yknot

rsp.218JesusChrist***

Is

Jesus Christ the same person as Michael the archangel?

The name of this Michael appears only five times in the Bible. The glorious spirit person who bears the name is referred to as "one of the chief princes," "the great prince who has charge of your [Daniel’s] people," and as "the archangel." (Dan. 10:13; 12:1; Jude 9, RS) Michael means "Who Is Like God?" The name evidently designates Michael as the one who takes the lead in upholding Jehovah’s sovereignty and destroying God’s enemies.

At 1 Thessalonians 4:16 (RS), the command of Jesus Christ for the resurrection to begin is described as "the archangel’s call," and Jude 9 says that the archangel is Michael. Would it be appropriate to liken Jesus’ commanding call to that of someone lesser in authority? Reasonably, then, the archangel Michael is Jesus Christ. (Interestingly, the expression "archangel" is never found in the plural in the Scriptures, thus implying that there is only one.)

Revelation 12:7-12 says that Michael and his angels would war against Satan and hurl him and his wicked angels out of heaven in connection with the conferring of kingly authority on Christ. Jesus is later depicted as leading the armies of heaven in war against the nations of the world. (Rev. 19:11-16) Is it not reasonable that Jesus would also be the one to take action against the one he described as "ruler of this world," Satan the Devil? (John 12:31) Daniel 12:1 (RS) associates the ‘standing up of Michael’ to act with authority with "a time of trouble, such as never has been since there was a nation till that time." That would certainly fit the experience of the nations when Christ as heavenly executioner takes action against them. So the evidence indicates that the Son of God was known as Michael before he came to earth and is known also by that name since his return to heaven where he resides as the glorified spirit Son of God.

• dust
    dust
    16because the Lord himself will descend from heaven with a commanding call, with an archangel’s voice and with God’s trumpet, and those who are dead in union with Christ will rise first. (NWT)

Having an archangel's voice means that he is an archangel.
    Having God's trumpet means...

• Wordly Andre
    Wordly Andre

In my New American bible it reads:

For the Lord Himself, with a word of command, with the voice of an archangel and withe the trumpet of God, will come down from heaven, and the dead in Christ will rise first.

But if you read starting from the begining it's talking about Hope for the christian dead, doesn't mention anything about Jesus being Micheal the Archangel

and if you continue to read it also says: then we who are alive, who are left, will be caught up together with them in the clouds to meet the Lord in the air. Thus we shall always be with the Lord

that doesn't sound like just 144,000 now does it?

so how can JW's twist one thing and disregard another

• confused and lost
    confused and lost

So Jesus is the archangel Michael ?Well what do the WTS make of Heb 1:5 -13 (Hebrews 1:5-14) 5 For example, to which one of the angels did he ever say: “You are my son; I, today, I have become your father”? And again: “I myself shall become his father, and he himself will become my son”? 6 But when he again brings his Firstborn into the inhabited earth, he says: “And let all God’s angels do obeisance to him.” 7 Also, with reference to the angels he says: “And he makes his angels spirits, and his public servants a flame of fire.” 8 But with reference to the Son: “God is your throne forever and ever, and [the] scepter of your kingdom is the scepter of uprightness. 9 You loved righteousness, and you hated lawlessness. That is why God, your God, anointed you with [the] oil of exultation more than your partners.” 10 And: “You at [the] beginning, O Lord, laid the foundations of the earth itself, and the heavens are [the] works of your hands. 11 They themselves will perish, but you yourself are to remain continually; and just like an outer garment they will all grow old, 12 and you will wrap them up just as a cloak, as an outer garment; and they will be changed, but you are the same, and your years will never run out.” 13 But with reference to which one of the angels has he ever said: “Sit at my right hand, until I place your enemies as a stool for your feet”? 14 Are they not all spirits for public service, sent forth to minister for those who are going to inherit salvation? Also as Jesus is to rule over the earth how do the WTS reconcile Heb 2 : 5 (Hebrews 2:5) 5 For it is not to angels that he has subjected the inhabited earth to come, about which we are speaking. . . Incidently, Heb 1 ; 10 is a quotation from Ps 102 : 25 which is actually refering to God.Paul here applies this to Christ.I will leave you to draw your own conclusions.

• Eyes Open
    Eyes Open

One of the most amazing displays of sloppy interpretation by the FDS to me is how they say that the angel in Revelation 10 with one foot on the sea and one on the land who gives John the scroll/revelation is Jesus Christ. Apparently they missed chapter 1, verses 1 and 2:

The revelation of Jesus Christ, which God gave him to show his servants what must soon take place. He made it known by sending his angel to his servant John, who testifies to everything he saw—that is, the word of God and the testimony of Jesus Christ.

God's channel of communication indeed...

• civicsi00
    civicsi00

Hebrews 13:8...

"Jesus Christ is the same yesterday and today, and forever."

This is who the Bible states that Jesus is...

• NewTruth
    NewTruth

Hello, I ABSOLUTELY, believe Jesus is Michael on his second coming. Notice, the scriptures that apply to Jesus on the second coming, he is only called Michael, and not an archangel. As in Dan. 12 and Rev. 12..

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit