Sinus Surgery

by Princess Daisy Boo 7 Replies latest jw friends

• Princess Daisy Boo
    Princess Daisy Boo

So I had results back on my CT scan and the ENT doc has recommended that I have surgery, he reckons it will definitly put an end to my recurrent infections and awful headaches.

I am thinking it is probably a good idea, but then again, it is surgery and that is not so cool... any experiences or comments?

• Wordly Andre
    Wordly Andre

I'm going to get my scan done next week if it puts an end to my problems I'm all for it, living 32 years with sinus problems its about time to get rid of it, even if it means a booger transfusion ha ha ha

• Princess Daisy Boo
    Princess Daisy Boo

It's just not fun being in pain so often is it Andre? I agree, I am all for it if it sorts the problem out!

• Wordly Andre
    Wordly Andre

I get it really bad about 4 times a year nearly ruined my vacation last year, all my sick days that I use at work are all due to this problem. If the surgery cures it or lessens the problem yes I am totally all for it sometimes I feel like sticking a drill up my nose

• wings
    wings

My husband had sinus surgery about 15 years ago.....wow, it was a tough one, but it did fix the problem. Hopefully now they have a less invasive procedure.

The infections, antibiotics, and headaches are worth getting rid of.

wingsif you want to know the gorry details, you are going to have to ask.

• Princess Daisy Boo
    Princess Daisy Boo

Glad to know it worked Wings - I figure I can deal with the discomfort if it fixes the problem... also, the way the doctor describes it, it sounds less invasive and not so bad.

• Alana
    Alana

I'm not going to lie....post-op time was miserable. I had a deviated septum repair, reduction of my tubinites, and what I like to call a "rotor rooter' procedure to clean out my sinuses.

The post-op period was painful and I hate anything in my nose....so, what did I have but internal splint-like things in there until it healed and I had to flush out my nasal passages with saline to clear out the crud while it all healed. Words cannot describe how awful it was.

BUT.....once the packing/splint things were removed and I no longer had to flush out crud with saline....it was FANTASTIC to be able to breath well again, not have daily headache, and my chronic sinus infections were gone. And my husband said I no longer snored, which he appreciated. So, if you can made it thru the pain and post-op crap, then it's great.

The only thing I am worried about now is the long term effectiveness. At the time my ENT said that it was not a forever cure....and now, several years later, I have had several sinus infections, I'm snoring again, and my headaches are slowly coming back. So, be sure to talk to your doctor about how long the surgery will help the problem or if it may recur in the future. :-)

• Big Tex
    Big Tex
    The only thing I am worried about now is the long term effectiveness. At the time my ENT said that it was not a forever cure....and now, several years later, I have had several sinus infections, I'm snoring again, and my headaches are slowly coming back

Yeah that's my situation as well.

I had a deviated septum procedure done in 1989, but it really didn't do anything. I had the turbinates and rotor rooter (I really like that term) in 2000. Now that did help, but not entirely and I had another one done in 2002. Again it helped a bit but it didn't completely resolve the problem.

I still have problems with congestion and snoring and sleep apnea. I think actually I would do better to move, but that's not economically feasible.

So my results were somewhat mixed. But you are right, the post-op was a pain. They leave the packing in your nose for several days and when they pull it out, that's no fun.

Chris

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit