Anyone ever been to Budapest?

by faundy 9 Replies latest jw friends

• faundy
    faundy

I'm going on Monday for 8 days, have never even been on a plane before!

Em and I are really excited, but neither of us have been, so just wondered if anyone here has and can recommend any nice places, or warn of places to stay away from? We have some guides, but they don't always give a personal view.

Any comments welcome!

• nvrgnbk
    nvrgnbk

Never been, but I remembered reading this in the NYTimes...

http://travel.nytimes.com/2006/09/03/travel/03journey.html?pagewanted=1&fta=y

It might add some insights to what you've already learned from your guides.

At the end of the article there are suggestions on lodging, dining, and nightlife.

Have a great time, faundy.

• Indo_Dude
    Indo_Dude

I was there for 5 days a few years ago. You have to go to one of the traditional bath houses, which is always fun. Also, I recommend Statute Park. It's a place a little ways outside the city that they put all the old Soviet sculptures / statutes that had formerly been in round-abouts, city squares, etc. It's really interesting. http://www.virtualtourist.com/travel/Europe/Hungary/Budapest_Fovaros/Budapest-436839/Things_To_Do-Budapest-Statue_Park_Szoborpark-BR-3.html

• faundy
    faundy

Nvrgnbk- Thanks for the great article, will print it and show it Em.

Indodude- My girlfriend is doing History and Politics and has already mentioned Statue park, so now that it comes highly recommended, we will definitely give it a look.

Thanks!

• Superfine Apostate
    Superfine Apostate

budapest is great. i don't know the names of all the places, but you should definately visit the castle on the mountain, the thermal baths and if you are into medieval stuff, i'd recommend a visit in "sir lancelot", they have great food and funny shows including bellydancing and firespitting.

depending on your interests, there's also a "house of horrors" which i believe was the nazi headquaters in budapest. and there's the communist statue park.

you could also get a guide, they don't charge that much and show you everything.

• Noelle
    Noelle

when i write a new topic how come my post cant be seen

• james_woods
    james_woods

Well, Noelle, the one you made on the cross is alive and well - I just posted on it.

Your 1 of 1 post may be lost, though...maybe it got sent to Budapest?

BTW, welcome - James

• fokyc
    fokyc

Yes, several times, try "The Grand Hotel Gelert", it is on the river bank near the city centre, it has lovely bathing and superb restaurants.

You will love it, perfect time of the year to go,

Enjoy yourself, let us know about your experience when you return please

fokyc

• POs Son
    POs Son

Yes!! I went to Budapest last year. It is a beautiful city. I found Hungarian hard to understand as it is not a latin language. Gellert is the tourist hotel/bath, another option for the thermal spa is Szechenyi Bath. We hiked to the top of Gellert hill, to the citadella. Great view of the city. The airport is small and modern, but as I recall, not many snacking options. The flight from NYC was 9 hours, the longest I have taken. A fine trip indeed!
    A great place to eat is Pasta Dost. www.pastadost.hu

• GermanXJW
    GermanXJW

I was in Hungary last year and are to go this year again. Unfortunately Budapest was not so nice to our smaller kids so we were in the capital only for one day. But from what I heard you should definetely try the bathes.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit