Does Religious Background really matter?

by Hope4Others 8 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Hope4Others
    Hope4Others

Does Religious background really matter to two people in "The World" in general? Or is it just a Jw view, and they are the only ones over concerned?

• So I have been googling to find out what some have to say in "the World" ......I must say it is not easy.
    • I'm looking for somebodies 2 cents on this subject.

Seems that it does to many sites I've been that this is an issue. I had thought that many people just didn't care, not many were really religious and had no opinion. Are we in

a new era of spirituality that many people are beginning some sort of awakening? Perhaps people are concerned in starting families how things will work out in the

kids and belief area.

So these are similar comments to much of anything I came across and I really am surprised by the responses.

* Many religious texts do not espouse the marrying of someone who does not share your beliefs. In fact, in at least one or two, they discuss the fact that those are not real marriages in the eyes of that belief. So if your spouse does not share your beliefs, are you not really married to them in religious sense? Is your relationship a secular union and if so - what is the difference?

*That is the crux of disagreements in mixed faith marriages that embrace different customs and belief systems. The idea that one is right or wrong; when your philosophy does not allow you to respect another person's beliefs then yes, you're going to have problems. Now that's not to say it's wrong - this is again, a personal choice. If you cannot philosophically accept a different faith for a different person then it's likely you will experience conflict in a mixed faith marriage.

*So when it comes down to matters of faith, how important is it to you that your spouse share your beliefs and faith?

http://marriage.families.com/blog/marriage-amp-religion

Some religions prohibit interfaith marriage, and while others do allow it, most restrict it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interfaith_marriage

Then there are others who marry someone who is “outside” their religion. Many times they must overcome family opposition to be with the one they love. Sometimes, a future spouse will convert to the other’s religion.
    Couples who had married others of the same religion said that they would not have chanced falling in love with someone not of their faith. They had dated only those with the same beliefs. Sometimes opposites attract and sometimes the comfort of familiarity is more attractive.

http://articles.familylobby.com/371-religion-and-marriage.htm

About right now I feel like I'm siting listening to a Sunday talk about the evils of marrying out side of "Gods Organization". Any opinions?

hope4others

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

Religious background can be a source of strife, much like any other cultural difference. However, such is a creation of a problem where none need exist.

People of two different religions can get along just fine. It takes tolerance of others' beliefs. One must acknowledge that not everyone functions at the same level of integration, and religious bias is extremely difficult to purge (one cannot just will oneself to see God as a hideously evil, wicked tyrant and Satan as benevolent on command). In fact, a more integrated thinker could join a church to appease a spouse of a different religion, and then have more sensible answers when difficult questions come up than the leaders. At which point, the less-integrated member is going to question the whole religion, and may well start seeing things clearer and quit.

Or, people of two different religions can compromise. A Catholic who marries a Protestant, for instance, is not going to agree on everything. However, one could adopt customs from the other religion and mix things. Total agreement is impossible to arrive at unless both become fully integrated thinkers (very rare), but tolerance is the key. Two people of wildly different religions that tolerate each other's beliefs will get along despite those differences.

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free

Once I left the JWs my ex and I went to a counselor because of our differences. The counselor said that she herself was Catholic and her husband was Baptist. They had a hard time getting along because of the religious differences, and finally agreed to avoid religious discussions altogether.

It wasn't until I left the JWs that I realized that religion was the only thing I had in common with my ex. That's probably why we spent most of our spare time gossiping, bitching, and complaining about the congregation. Once I DA'd there was nothing left for us to talk about, so we argued instead.

I wouldn't base a relationship entirely on religion again, but I think it helps a lot if a husband and wife are both on the same page with regard to beliefs.

W

• John Doe
    John Doe

Depends on the religion, and depends on how import religion is to each person. I would not date a fundamentalist anything, but would have no problem dating a well reasoned but open minded Christian, or any other religion for that matter.

• Lo
    Lo

my ex, who was agnostic, broke up with me cos I was christian...go figure...

• Hope4Others
    Hope4Others

I really had the conclusion that it really doesn't matter, how many people really do go to church anyway?

And I'm still looking for some sort of surveys or articles that people discuss their thoughts regardless of what type

of relationship they have. I'm not the best researcher for finding things. Some are just so talented they can

find anything.

I would like to really find balanced views from all types of people world over. My chances may be slim????

Thanks everyone for your comments.....

hope4others

• GetOverIt
    GetOverIt

I think religion or no religion, if you don't have the majority of things in common with your spouse you'll struggle in your marriage, or it will end.

• White Dove
    White Dove

I'm an agnostic Wiccan. I believe in things as they are proven to me to exist, so faith is not there, just my own soul experience with spirituality. Everything is a metaphore and a mental trick to me. It's my path of choice and feels great.

My daughter is agnostic and is a very light practicing pagan. She and I put together our medicine pouches. She believes in it a little more than I do but practices it less than I.

My son is a light practicing Christian, Pentacostal to be exact. He's doing it mostly for social reasons and because there might be something to this religion for him.

We don't really talk about religion in our house except for me and my daughter a little discussing how peaceful and nice paganism is. We are very respectful of each other's beliefs or lack thereof.

• White Dove
    White Dove

I'm going to see if I can find anything on "religiously mixed families" on Google. Don't you just hate the term "religiously divided?"

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit