Yet Another Dub Uban Legend...

by brinjen 7 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• brinjen
    brinjen

During the eighties I remember hearing that our then Prime Minister Robert Hawke (also an athiest) said if he was ever going to join a religion, it would be the Jehovah's Witnesses as "they made the most sense."

Anyone else hear of this one?

• Mickey mouse
    Mickey mouse

Not heard that one but I've often wondered whether the "Prince Charles is a magazine route" story was yet another JW urban legend.

Mickey.

• hamilcarr
    hamilcarr

A European atheist politician once said the same. For an atheist, it's probably the 'death=unconsciousness' belief of JWs that makes 'most sense'. Yesterday I was told that a recent report on cults declared that European atheists mostly turn to the WT when embracing theism (couldn't find a weblink though). European theists, otoh, rarely do this.

• White Dove
    White Dove

That is so weird. Maybe it is as you said, that it is the death=nothing idea that turns them on. I wonder how many actually have gone to the WT side.

• Seeker4
    Seeker4

Urban legends. For an atheist to become a JW it would be like a mature adult becoming a six year old. Very rare. These are the sort of statements that float around JWland without a shred of evidence.

Lies, all lies, I'd bet.

S4

• hamilcarr
    hamilcarr

Some say the same about atheists returning to theism. I think it's a too easy explanation which doesn't stand up to scrutiny.

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

That is about as real as the story at the Grand Boasting Session where a person left the witlesses, joined a "secret society" that set his mind totally free from bias (and especially religious bias), and then "came to his senses" and went back to the Washtowel Slaveholdery. And then claims that the "secret society", which set his mind free, was the most "evil, vile" experience he ever had (a blatant lie) and thanks the Washtowel Slaveholdery and Jehovah for keeping the "best way of living" open.

That is a whopper. Most atheists like a religiously neutral environment. True, they are sometimes willing to discuss religion (usually with the viewpoint that there is no God or that God does not fit all three necessary qualities needed to be a true God). However, they are not going to start going to a pro-God religion that spends all their time boasting about God. If I were a true atheist, the last thing I would want is a religion that makes one spend all your time preaching and going to boasting sessions.

And I ought to know--I believe that God flunks the test of being maximally benevolent and does not deserve any of my time. Therefore, there is no way I am going to volitionally go back to being one of Jehovah's Witlesses.

• Witness 007
    Witness 007

There was a photo copy going around of his wife Hazle Hawk sending a thankyou to a Witness for I think the "Family book." I saw it myself...but never herd that from her husband

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit