Acts of God

by belbab 6 Replies latest watchtower bible

• belbab
    belbab

I recently posted a reply in the thread god mauls children with bears in answer to questions posed by the author of the thread. In my reply I brought up the subject of Acts of God. I spent about five hours of my time on my day off from responsibilities to research and write my reply.

I was told by some resident psychiatrists on JWD that I need to seek help. I was thanked for thelaugh and that it was painfully obvious that my doctor needs to increase my dosage of meds.

How original.

Having heard this expression a number of times on this board I thought I would do a search on how many times “meds” is referred in a derogatory way on JWD. Meds shows up from the year 2000, 3628 times. The first time it shows up in a derogatory way is in the initial post of AGuest on JWD in March 01. What a welcome to JWD for her.

My intention was to back off from any response to those so concerned with my mental retarded- ness but after letting the subject boil away within for a week my intention is, come hell or high-water, to never let “meds” be used derogatively on JWD again.

I am determined to continue the subject that I posted in the thread in question, So I am starting to read a book, called: Acts of God: The Unnatural History of Natural Disaster in America. By Theodore Steinberg – author

For starters, the author opens the book with the following two quotes:

There are many scapegoats for our blunders, but the most popular one is Providence. Mark Twain

We do not see our hand in what happens, so we call certain events melancholy accidents when they are the inevitabilities of our projects. Stanley Cavell

I will continue as time and circumstance permit, that is, God willing.

belbab

• Hope4Others
    Hope4Others

Thanks for this thread, it is very important that no one feels condemned by taking meds.

We all must do what is necessary to get well, that being what ever that may take. We all need hope and encouragement to

get to the point in life where we feel safe mentally and emotionally.

Cheers!

hope4others

• caliber
    caliber

Everyone deserves respect, I agree my dear friend ! All the power to you, speak your truth !

Disrespectful jack ass's made my blood boil also !

Caliber

• journey-on
    journey-on

I don't believe I have ever told anybody they need medication or their "meds" need to be increased.

But in all fairness, I do think most of the time this expression is used as a metaphor.

It's like telling somebody to "get a life" when you think they are obsessing about one thing to their detriment.

"You need some serious medication" is simply an expression meaning to re-examine your thought process that

has brought you to some place that seems to be causing you overly emotional distress.

We live by metaphors and most of the time posters that say that are saying it metaphorically. If they are

saying it for real, that's another thing altogether.

• reniaa
    reniaa

lol pretty sure i've been told to use them or get them or seek help :S, You have my thumbs up :)

• myelaine
    myelaine

hi belbab...

good to see you around here if only for a few minutes.

thank you for bringing up this subject and it is true that many "believers" on this forum are accused of being in need of some medication or more medication or a change of medication...or in my case, reading too much into the Bible...lol...very few of us are here to change historic theological doctrine pertaining to ones salvation or start a new religion or anything but oddly enough our attempts at explaining the Book provided, with mature insight, are met with childish jeers...

so...let them read into it these Scriptures what they will...

2 Timothy 3:1-5...But know this, that in the last days perilous times will come: for men will be lovers of themselves, lovers of money, boasters, proud, blasphemers, disobedient to parents, unthankful, unholy, unloving, unforgiving, slanders, without self-control, brutal, despisers of good, traitors, headstrong, haughty, lovers of pleasure rather lovers of God, having a form of godliness but denying its power....(and for emphasis)...and especially those that walk according to the flesh in the lust of uncleaness and despise authority. They are presumptuous, self-willed: they are not afraid to speak evil of dignitaries. 2 Peter 2:10

love momma bear

• Farkel
    Farkel

belbab,

: Acts of God: The Unnatural History of Natural Disaster in America. By Theodore Steinberg

I'd be careful reading that if I were you. I heard Steinberg went off his meds!

Farkel

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit