Question about WTS Star Columbia Univ. Students

by yknot 2 Replies latest jw friends

• yknot
    yknot

We have a re-visiting Eldum who is cozy with DO coming to enlighten us with his brillance for my last meeting June 1st. He is a company line pushing little brown noser (all of 27). Last visit we had a tit for tat about college. Being that he is single with no life he apparently has emailed one of our MS about showing me some litertrash about how college is .... "a valueless thing"... (gag lame WT study tie-in)

Naturally I figured I would hit him hard.....as this will be my last encounter with him unless he joins JWD.

So of course I need some current info Judah Ben and Amber.

I did a google search and found them listed on http://www.columbiaclub.org/ both for 2006.

The club is opened to past and current classmates, & many others. While I am not sure if they are still students or graduated, what was interesting was the initials next to both of their names ...GS (Gen. Studies)

So did they graduate in 06 with a bachelors in GS or are they still students seeking a BS in GS?

Am I incorrect in my assumption of the intials GS?

How many years total are/were they at Columbia

Does anyone have any clarity on their student status?

Thank you in advance for any help that may allow me to squash this little bug over inflated ......arrg

• NYCkid
    NYCkid

Yknot,

You are correct, GS in the Columbia University world is an ancronym for General Studies, one of the four undergraduate schools at the University. GS is for "non-traditional" students defined as having at least one-year break from H.S. to college. I attend this school. If anyone wants information about attending this school, please let me know. It's a great school and an amazing experience...the scholarships are getting better.

Joel graduated from GS in 2006 and according to the University directory, he currently is a graduate student. I have not heard his name before. Believe it or not, there is a small contingent of JWs at the school. I ran into them during an orientation event where they were representing one of hundreds of students group (their table was next to the Gay Protestants, it was hysterical). I could feel the heat rising in my face, but I approaced them and asked them what they were about. Really just a group of JWs who are trying to get an education despite what their religion tells them. I applaud them and hope that the experience is a catalyst for leaving the religion. Once a month or so, they set up a table in the student center with JW Bibles and literature. It's cute, but no one pays them any attention.

I had a class with a JW woman, who was a former bethelite, she and her husband. She is extremely brilliant and it was sad that she spent the prime of her life cleaning bethelite rooms. I came out to her as a former JW and she was very friendly throughout the semester and even studied with me on more than one occasion.

Hope this helps,

NYCkid

• yknot
    yknot

NYCKID....Thanks

Judah Ben Schroeder is the son of deceased GB member Albert Schroeder. His wife Amber is the daughter of Dale Baker who happens to supply (donated?) leased cars to the organization and then resells them to the public.

Judah & Amber were suppose to be attending Columbia for International Law, even though the society is poo-pooing higher education. It sparks the question who are and who are not encouraged to seek higher education and why. In fact this young gun Elder who I am dealing with likened higher education to enrolling in Satan's Army.

I found the directory you mentioned (glad my school doesn't have this information online) and it says

Title:
    Student, GRADUATE SCHOOL OF ARTS AND SCIENCES Department:
    Graduate School Arts & Sciences I applaud them for going to college (after years of pioneering) but I hope I never hear him expressing the drivel that higher education is wasteful. It would be great if they both left the WTS, but that might be expecting too much

Hmmm wonder what he is studying

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit