God in the Bible..Upon further reflection..

by chrisjoel 6 Replies latest jw friends

• chrisjoel
    chrisjoel

Remember all those Bible readings we did on ancient Egypt, Babylon, all the stories about how YHWH was a jelous God and all the other gods were false? Jehovah demands exclusive devotion. Well since Ive been occasionally reading Without JW glasses anymore I read the Bible as a story a mythical book, and it makes SO much more sense. Have you ever noticed how the Hebrew Scrptures mention false gods all the time ...yet rarely seems to call them "fake". Why is that?

We have the "gods of the nations", gods of Laban,Gods of Egypt,gods of the Amorites,gods of the Canaanites,, high places and altars of the different Baals, Gods of the Philis, DAGON; BAALZEBUB, gods of Damascus,gods in Syria,Solomon's many wives worshipped their own gods,CHEMOSH; MOLECH,Succoth-benoth, Nergal, Ashima, Nibhaz, Tartak, Adrammelech, gods of Seir, Hamoth, Arpad, Sepharvaim, Hena, Ivvah,gods conquered by Sennacherib's fathers, Gozan, Haran, Rezeph, Eden or Telassar,Gods of Moab,Gods of Babylon,Nineveh's gods , ect ect...

SO after you read the Bible in this fashion, the question begs answering...IS CHRISTIANITY AN "EVOLVED FORM OF POLYTHEISM ?"(worship of many gods)

YHWH never said there werent other gods..he said "thou shalt have no other gods before me" but SO many gods are mentioned by NAME that it very "story" like.

Over at rationalresponders.com ..an intresting comment was made i will post here:

It is correct that in the Old Testament that there is no monotheism - the concept was put to rest actually by the discover of Ugarit. Ugarit not only showed the archaeological community that the Hebrews during the persian period and before worshipped one God out of a Pantheon of them (called the Ugaritic Pantheon), but that Yahweh was the son of El'yon - Professor Mark Smith has written many books on Ugarit.

When the Hebrew scriptures were written (probably during the late Persian period - early Hellenistic age), the Hebrews were already immersed in cultures outside of their own in the Diaspora, and seems unlikely that they would have been solely monotheistic throughout the early stages of this period. Throughout their time in the Diaspora, it is certain that the fondness for this singular God, Yahweh, would have been a beakon, much like Zeus, the all powerful. But even during the Hellenistic and Roman periods the Jews did partake in worshipping other Gods and joining mystery religions - likes the Pythagoreans, the Orphics, the Dionysiacs, etc...

The concept of monotheism really didn't take until after Constantine abolished all other religions making Christianity the official Roman religion - this is simply because the previous religions were based on polytheism, where as Christianity in the 4th century was monotheistic - as in only one God (three parts) - and that is where our concept of mootheism comes from today.

any opinions?

• Terry
    Terry

In my opinion, what you end up with when you deal with the bible as a source of information about God, is this.

Old stories have been overlapped with newer stories. Old concepts with newer concepts up through different periods of history.

A tribal people insulated from sophisticated civilizations have a more child-like conception of the supernatural. (i.e. in Eden, God is walking around in the breezy part of the day, talking, asking questions, expressing ingorance of events, etc.)

As Israel and the Semites bumped into more sophisticated regimes, civilizations and bigger thinkers (i.e. The Egyptians and Greeks) their world views became vastly expanded, distorted and ultimately changed.

The bible has to condense all of those historical, geographical and social ideas into just one soup!!

The flavor isn't just one flavor at all.

Ultimately, you have an evolving god as the men who spoke about and wrote about a transcendant being were encountering OTHER ideas which competed with their own. Like two kids arguing over whose dad can beat up the other one's.

By the time you get to the "New Testament" the original Hebrew tribal god has become a rival of the Roman Emperor and Jesus is a demi-god who was part Socrates, part Hercules and part Jove.

• Tired of the Hypocrisy
    Tired of the Hypocrisy

There have always been gods. To my mind, a god is anything greater than a human being, however, some humans are in fact gods. My wife for instance, is my goddess. She blushes when I tell her this and says I need to only worship, jah. But I really do adore her and I would go to my grave telling her that she is my goddess.

So, the Bible tells of many gods and this seems to support my theory on this. The point is from the OT view is that there is a separation between the worshipers of jah and the worshipers of the other gods. Who do the other gods have to bow down to?

• Bring_the_Light
    Bring_the_Light
    Old stories have been overlapped with newer stories. Old concepts with newer concepts up through different periods of history.

This becomes extremely obvious when you read the bible cover-to-cover (like 99.99% of JW's and 90% of Christians never do).

• yknot
    yknot

But do we really wanna go back to a my god(s) can kick your god(s) arse type of society? That would seem to provoke more violence.

Perhaps the world will all become like France then move onto agnostic or atheist.

• chrisjoel
    chrisjoel

I found this thought provoking video THE BIBLE UNEARTHED...that delves into how much of the Bible can we take literally?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=05Oe1UAEATE

• LouBelle
    LouBelle
    My wife for instance, is my goddess. She blushes when I tell her this

Tired - you said you had a son right....is he like his daddy? I could do with someone calling me their goddess and adoring me.

As for gods - humans/posessions/food/wine/drugs/engergy/science/animals can be gods.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit