jws and jury service

by nelly136 2 Replies latest jw friends

• nelly136
    nelly136
    Some of those questioned mentioned personal hardships that could prevent them from serving on a trial that's estimated to last four weeks. The reasons ran the gamut from being a Jehovah's Witness (whose religion doesn't allow them to sit in judgment)

http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/1587373/20080513/kelly_r.jhtml quoted from this

i remember that jws can plead the no judgement stance for jury service, but how do they use this excuse to get out of jury service when

they are happy to have their own kangaroo courts?

just curious

• Rapunzel
    Rapunzel

Good question!!! The topic of paradoxical thinking on the part of witnesses has been mentioned on previous threads. Another question that I have is this: Witnesses take great pride in the fact that they have brought several cases of their to the U.S. Supreme Court. These famous cases have centered on the right to express unpopular or dissenting opinions. And yet, we all know how they treat dissenting opinions/ideas within their ranks. Why can they not extend to their own members the self-same rights that they have petioned the Supreme Court for?

They oh-so-glibly criticize "Caesar," and yet they have no problem accepting assistance from "Caesar" in the form of food stamps/welfare/ and other social programs. Mnd you,I have no qualms with their accepting government assistance per se. I just wonder at their hypocrisy. Something about not biting the hand that feeds you.

Why do they forbid mention of the word "luck/lucky" (on the basis of its "pagan" origins), and yet happily use other "pagan" terms to designate days of the week and the names of months.

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

I have in fact heard of a witless that got seated on a jury. No "privileges" were taken away at that time.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit