Broken Leg Update

by hillbilly 8 Replies latest jw friends

• hillbilly
    hillbilly

last Tuesday I went to the ortho surgeon... they did some x rays. Instead of a plaster cast he put me in a velcro walking splint. I can leave it off... and am not supposed to put any weight on the leg for a month. The splint gets worn if I need to move around much.

the staples are out of the incisions... plate and screws are enough to hold the bones so we are just waiting of calcification and collagens to form along the breaks

Swelling is way down... i am able to wiggle my foot and work the ankle some.. Doc told to to work it as tolerated as it will make the rehab easier if it loosens up early.

I have been working from home some.... last week was not very productive as I was still taking a fair amount of percoset. Sleeping was a little hit and miss too. I spent the first 2 weeks home in a recliner, most of the 3rd week on the couch. I have been back in a regular bed for a couple of nights... wifey is glad to have me back.

It took a couple of weeks to get the morphine out of the system... it drys up the bowel tract and sweats out for days.... leaves a weird stink about the body.

the wife has loaded me up and taken me out a few days... a couple of hours at Walmart in a scooter is a hoot. I feel like a freak parade.

I miss not walking. I hobble around with a walker so using the hands while up it a bit of a trick. I cant do my chores....my horses are a mess... the wife will mow when she gets a chance. I need help taking a shower.... I can lean on the counter long enough to shave and brush teeth.

Well enough about me... Hi to all the new folks here

Hill

• Hope4Others
    Hope4Others

Hope the mending comes along fast, I've never broken anything "Knock on Wood" but it would be hard to deal with especially

when you are an active person.

Cheers Hillbilly!

hope4others

wifey is glad to have me back.

By the way you told me more than I need to know! ha ha

• llbh
    llbh

Hi Hillbilly

Glad to hear that you are on the mend . I smashed my arm up real bad and have a lot of metal in it.

Morphine is great but i do agree about the side affects. The hardest things for me whilst mending were showers and getting comfortable sleeping

Regards

David

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips

I hope your wife doesn't go all "Eight Belles" on you!

• hillbilly
    hillbilly
    I hope your wife doesn't go all "Eight Belles" on you!

Her restraint has been remarkable.

Hey... how long can a human sit in a recliner before he's assimilated by it? Is there a record or something?

Hill

• Casper
    Casper

Thanks for the update, Hillbilly.

Hang in there, sounds like you are doing a tiny bit better every day. I am sure it feels like forever tho...

It took a couple of weeks to get the morphine out of the system... it drys up the bowel tract and sweats out for days.... leaves a weird stink about the body.

Goodness...

Cas

• hillbilly
    hillbilly

does anyone know how long it takes for something like this to heal? I am getting antzy

Hill

• Quirky1
    Quirky1

I've been thru all this..compound fracture left leg & arm, traction for 3.5 months 7 years therapy, 2 discetomies,

It's tough!

• BFD
    BFD

HillBilly sounds like you're on your way.

I know a kid last year that shattered his ankle in a motorcycle accidet. He's walking around just fine now. He had a cast on for about six months. Then a walking cast for about 6 weeks..

Of course he's only 22 so he healed up pretty quick. It takes a little longer at our age. Hang tough. And. don't be afraid to excersize it.

BFD

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit