Toronto event includes Author Sylvia Fraser (1 of 1st sexual abuse memoirs)

by morrisamb 9 Replies latest watchtower child-abuse

• morrisamb
    morrisamb

When Nobody's Looking: An evening of film, speech and discussion

Toronto's National Film Board

Mediateque Room, Sat. May 31, 7 pm

150 John St.

For more info: Poster at http://www.fatherstouch.com [email protected]

Toronto Event includes Speaker/Author Sylvia Fraser

May 31

Last day of Sexual assault awareness and prevention month!

And kicking off sexual Harrassment prevention week which begins the very next day, June 1!

Sylvia Fraser is the author of ten books, including the internationally acclaimed "My Father's House: a memoir of incest and of healing." She has won numerous writing awards, and was the 2007 recipient of the inaugural Phoenix Women Rising Award, presented by the London Sexual Abuse Centre.

For a biography and reviews of her work, please see her website: www.sylviafraser.net

• morrisamb
    morrisamb

I should have mentioned this is a non-profit event. May is sexual assault awareness and prevention month and proceeds will go to the two sponsors of the event: Women's Support Network of York Region and Sexual Assault Centre London.

Information on Maureen Judge and her production company Makin' Movies can be found on her web site:

www.makinmovies.tv

Family Secrets: When Nobody's Looking

"Wonderfully intricate" John Doyle, The Globe & Mail

Documentary Awards

* Gold Medal Houston Film Festival

* Honourable Mention Columbus Film & Video Festival

* Bronze Finalist Award 2003 Telly Awards

Family Secrets takes viewers on an intensely personal, humorously nervous and emotionally moving journey into the private world of family relationships.

-focuses on an individual family whose members have been affected by a life-changing event. At the core is an honest, expressive and vulnerable individual who explores the complexity of his/her family ties, while other members try to cope and search for answers.

Filmed in a verite style that combines fly-on-the-wall observational filming with informal interviews, home movies and personal photos, Family Secrets is a raw, compelling and honest account of the impact of secrets on families and their lives. **

• morrisamb
    morrisamb

This message is from L Pitrie who is Executive Director of Sexual Assault Centre London (1 of two sponsors for the event)

“It is a real privilege for Sexual Assault Centre London to stand in solidarity with authors and activists Donald D’Haene and Sylvia Fraser and our sister agency Women’s Support Network of York Region to shine a light, through art and dialogue, on sexual abuse. For over 30 years, our Centre has worked to eradicate sexual violence by providing services to survivors of sexual violence and raising awareness about the issue. Tonight is especially meaningful for me. Because tonight, we are not alone. We stand together, men and women, sisters and brothers, service providers, authors, film makers and break the silence. Together, we can effect change and we can create a world without sexual violence.”

• morrisamb
    morrisamb

For Immediate Release

When Nobody’s Looking

An evening of film, shared personal experiences & candid discussions about sexual abuse

Toronto, May 2008 – May is sexual assault awareness and prevention month. To help raise awareness and encourage dialogue around this issue, The Women's Support Network of York Region and the Sexual Assault Centre London are presenting a screening of Maureen Judge’s award winning film When Nobody’s Looking , and presentations from two authors, Sylvia Fraser and Donald D’Haene, who will share their own personal experiences of hurt and healing.

WHO: Donald D’Haene, survivor and author of Father’s Touch

Sylvia Fraser, Survivor and author of My Father’s House: A Memoir of Incest and of Healing

Maureen Judge, director/ producer of the award winning film When Nobody’s Looking

WHAT: A screening of the critically acclaimed film When Nobody’s Looking followed by Sylvia Fraser’s presentation entitled, Memory, Denial and Purpose and Donald D’Haene talking about his role in the film and his experience going public with his story.

WHERE: National Film Board Mediatheque 150 John Street, Toronto

WHEN: May 31, 2008

HOURS: 7 – 10 p.m.

TICKETS: Tickets are $10 and can be purchased at the door. Proceeds will go to the Women’s Support Network of York Region and the Sexual Assault Centre London.

For more information contact: [email protected]

For media inquiries contact: Sabreena Peters Makin’ Movies Inc 416 516 1833 [email protected]

• morrisamb
    morrisamb

To see more details and RSVP, follow the link below: http://www.facebook.com/p.php?i=598740878&k=ZXCYQYP5TZ2MXBGHYE53X Everyone can join Facebook. To register, go to: http://www.facebook.com/p.php?i=598740878&k=ZXCYQYP5TZ2MXBGHYE53X&r

• morrisamb
  • Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

oh if I had the money

Sylvia Fraser's book "My Father's House" was one of the first I read that helped me realize just how abusive and destructive my childhood had been and that I needed help to work through the after-effects.

Seeing you both on the same panel would be great so all you folks in the TO area

Go and let us know how it went

• Big Tex
    Big Tex

Thanks for posting this Donald.

Chris

• morrisamb
    morrisamb

Thanks Lady Lee and Big Tex...long time no talk. Life gets crazy.

Here is a review of the film we're showing at The National Film Board Mediateque

http://archives.xtra.ca/Story.aspx?s=15071674

• morrisamb
    morrisamb

Ok, tonight is the night for the event. I not only mention the JWs but also the court case in the US re: 400 children.

7 pm 150 John st. in Toronto in case any of you can make it...since I won't know what you look like, feel free to come up to me!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit