wondering about YHWH & ALLAH

by unfree 5 Replies latest watchtower bible

• unfree
    unfree

From what I can see ALLAH has the same root (meaning) as YAHWEH {JEHOVAH).

"I am"; "I shall prove to be what I shall prove to be";

Apparently, from what I have read, Allah in Arabic actually means "God", just like "El" or
    "Elohim", "El'im", "Eloi" (God/Gods) or "God".

Eloi, Eloi, lama sabachtani? (‘My God, my God, why hast thou forsaken me?’)

Interestingly I remember that followers of Islam use the crescent moon and therefore worship the Moon or other astro-bodies (Jordan Maxwell ?). Interestingly the Moon God "Sin" fits some descriptions of YAHWEH/JESUS, As an wise old man white hair, etc

"the name of the Moon-god was Sin, his title was al-ilah, i.e. "the deity," meaning that he was the chief or high god among the gods. As Coon pointed out, "The god Il or Ilah was originally a phase of the Moon God." The Moon-god was called al-ilah, i.e. the god, which was shortened to Allah IN PRE-ISLAMIC TIMES. The pagan Arabs even used Allah in the names they gave to their children. For example, both Muhammad's father and uncle had Allah as part of their names."

----http://www.answering-islam.org/Responses/Abualrub/allahs_identity.htm

Now there is the "Black Stone", the "Kabah" (a cube) "worshipped" by Islam. Also Jacob apparently used a stone (possibly like the "black stone") in the anointing of Beth-El (House of God)

Also I remember from Jeporday! a little while ago, that, was it around 700 ?, that the language went from Hebrew (Is-Ra-El) to Arabic.

Theres much more I could go on about but I can't remember it all, and it is late.. but please let me know what you think.

• JCanon
    JCanon

I think that potentially, since the Arabs are descendants of Abraham also, or at least some of them, that it's the same god.

Jehovah accepted worship from Akhenaten who focused that worship in his god "Aten", a monotheistic god whom spoke to him, resulting is writings very similar to the Psalms of David, so... The Bible confirms he was worshipping YHWH, but he wasn't called that. Even though "Aten" has been thought to sound like "ADON-ay"?

But it's the same Creator-god, conceptually, right? Melchizedek, a Canaanite was high-priest to YHWH in Abraham's day so the Jews were perhaps not the only ones to recognize some form of YHWH. It depends. Certainly the god of the Jews and of Christians is the same god as well, so.

Interesting topic. Muslims are monotheists. That's a clear sign to me that there is a connection.

JC

• digderidoo
    digderidoo

I have often wondered this myself. Your right JCanon when you say that Arabs are descendents from Abraham too, so there may well be a link.

Paul

• Narkissos
    Narkissos

Linguistically, Allah (a determinate form, from 'al-'ilah, "the God") is directly related to Hebrew 'el, 'elohim, etc. and has many similar cognates in Semitic languages, all meaning "god(s)" in general or the supreme "God" (cf. the Canaanite "El") in particular, in a polytheistic context. Otoh it has nothing to do with Yhwh which is the name of a particular Israelite deity.

Of course Islam is culturally dependent on Jewish and Christian monotheism -- probably some Jewish-Christian syntheses in particular. Other influences from pre-Islamic Arabian polytheism certainly exist but are secondary (as are non-Jewish influences on Christianity).

• Rapunzel
    Rapunzel

According to Vine's Concise Dictionary of the Bible, the Hebrew word 'el means "God" or "god." According to Vine's, it is a "term of supreme power and divinity." It is also a generic term that could refer either to the "real" God, or to the chief Canaanite god.

There is also the Aramaic [Aramaic is a Semitic language akin to Hebrew and Arabic] word, 'elah, which also means "god." This Aramaic word is the equivalent of the Hebrew 'eloah. It is general term for "God" in the Aramaic passages of the Old Testament, and is a cognate form of the word 'allah, the designation of deity used by Arabs.

The Hebrew word 'eloah, meaning "god," is the singular form of the common plural form, 'elohim.

Hebrew, Aramaic and Arabic are all semitic languages; they all form part of the same "family" of languages.

• winnower
    winnower

Ask the Pope

Pope Pushing Idea that Allah and Jehovah are the same God. http://www.chick.com/bc/2000/samegod.asp

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit