I Hate Best Buy! (and more!)

by Bendrr 3 Replies latest jw friends

• Bendrr
    Bendrr

Here I sit using this infernal AOL-TV box yet again.
    I broke down and bought a real computer at Best Buy a month ago. I don't have it now, though and that is as Paul Harvey says "the rest of the story".
    Since a good friend of mine since high school was a technician at Best Buy, I felt comfortable buying the system. I should have seen it coming. The salesman was more interested in selling me the extended warranty that the actual computer. So much so, that he actually adjusted the price of the computer to essentially make the Performance Service Plan or "PSP" free. Once it was a freebie, I said ok and took home my machine. Athlon 1.3 ghz with 512mb of SDRAM, 32mb video card, soundcard that hooks up to my dolby digital home theatre receiver, and other goodies. Oh and Windows XP.
    First problem: On the 4th day, XP crashed and was unrecoverable. They offered to exchange the pc for a new one, but it would cost me since it was an "open box" item. I raised enough hell and they finally wiped the hard drive and installed Windows 98. Initially that was going to be free, but once the install was underway they told me I would have to pay for the software. With my pc held hostage, I had no choice.
    Next problem: Last Sunday the hard drive began to die. I took it in for service the next day, and received the diagnosis that the hard drive needed replacement. Guess what? In spite of the fact that they have shelves lined with hard drives and 2 very good technicians at the store, they don't do it there. It had to be shipped to the "service center" in Atlanta.
    I was promised that I would have the pc back today, but -you guessed it- no. The attitude-laden customer-no-service girl told me "We don't know when it will be ready, so just wait and we'll call you."
    The moral of the story my friends is pretty clear. When you are shopping for a new pc, the first time a salesman tries to push any "extended warranty" on you, turn around and walk out without a word. In fact, avoid any big chain store. Go to a local business. I was told I had a 3-year IN HOME service plan. All that meant was that I would use the phone IN my HOME to call and be told to bring it in.
    Buy from the local guy who builds them in his house. I've gone that way before. He'll fix it on the spot, and if not then he will have the parts there within a day or two and always will stick to the time he promises. The local guy will never have some minimum-wage ignoramus intercept your calls and blow you off.
    Most of all, AVOID BEST BUY LIKE THE PLAGUE!!!
    Don't even buy software and movies there. Don't give them your money!
    mike.

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

When salesguys offer me the "extended warranty plans" I usually respond with -"Why, does it break down a lot?"

I think LOTS of folks will be screaming about WinXP when they discover that it is optimized for hardware they can't buy yet. Once that hurdle is past, look to WinXP to be the portal of WAY MORE computer "viruses" because of it's "ease of use". "Ease of use" is jargon for "poor or non-existent security features."

I think WinXP will precipitate the Great Tribulation before October 2002, as predicted by Nostrildomus.

• arachnia
    arachnia

Hi Bendrr,

You might want to check this site out: http://www.bestbuysux.org

I, too, made the mistake of purchasing a PC there, and had trouble. Mind you, I have worked in IT support for about eight years (so why did I buy at Worst Buy, you ask? My PC died during semester and I needed a replacement FAST. Mistake, yes. Wouldn't do it again.) and when the problem arose I told them it was the system board, argued with them for a MONTH while they had my PC. I badgered them until they let me speak with the actual tech working on my PC who informed me it was the video card. I had already replaced the video card with a brand new ATI All-In-Wonder, and the problem still existed. But OH NO, their dinky little tech was more qualified than I. Turns out they did replace the sys bd on the sly although they told me they didn't. Heh heh, their egoes can be so fragile. Anyways I didn't know that when I picked it up, so I attached a condition to my acceptance signature on the work order - I wrote a note stating I disagreed with their diagnosis and had attempted to get them to take care of it properly, so that if I returned again, I would have that on file. I haven't had to go back (knock on wood). Just something to keep in mind if you aren't satisfied or are wary of the repair - make a note of it on the work order before you sign it, so it's on record. :)

Good luck!

Cheers,
    ~arachnia

Say not, "I have found the truth," but rather, "I have found a truth."
    -Kahlil Gibran

• Andee
    Andee

I, personally, have never bought a computer from Best Buy. However, I have a friend that has a "Best Buy Computer Horror Story". It sounds eerily similar to yours, Bendrr. Thanks for sharing your extremely frustrating experience. I hope that it all works out in the end.

Andee

Who is grateful that she has a sister who is a computer techie, and built her current system from scatch for half of what you pay at Best Buy.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit