Book Club, May 08, Lord of the Flies by William Golding

by TheSilence 4 Replies latest social entertainment

• TheSilence
    TheSilence

Hello, everyone,

Welcome to May's book club thread.

This month we are discussing Lord of the Flies by William Golding. This book was suggested by myself. The format is open to any discussion you wish to have about the topic at hand, but if you're looking for something to stimulate some discussion you are welcome to use the questions below or come up with some of your own for others to answer.

Possible Topics for Discussion

1. The schoolchildren in Lord of the Flies are left alone on the island without adult supervision. Does this account for the change in their behavior? Explain.

2. The group of schoolmates is made up entirely of boys. Do you think a group of girls would have acted differently under the same circumstances?

3. At the beginning, Ralph is chosen as the leader of the group. Is he a poor choice for leader from the beginning? Why does the group stop paying attention to him? Why do the boys begin to follow Jack as their new leader?

4. Why do the boys seem less eager to build the fire as time passes?

5. Who is 'The Beast' really? Why does the nightmare that haunts the 'littlun' become a reality?

6. Sometimes people do things—especially wrong things—when they are part of a group that they would never do alone. Why is this true? Can you remember any examples from your own experience or from your reading?

7. Why do the children pick on Piggy? Is their behavior in school in any way related to the way they act when they are on the island?

8. Today, some young people join gangs. Do they do this for the same reason that the boys join Jack's tribe?

9. If you were an adult in charge of the boys after they were rescued, how would you treat them? Would you punish them? If so, how? If not, why not?

10. Some contemporary young people attribute their drug and alcohol abuse to 'peer pressure.' How does this 'peer pressure' manifest itself in today's society and on the island?

Next Month

Next month we will be discussing The Secret History by Donna Tartt. This selection was suggested by me. It can be a rather rough read to get through, but I find it's an interesting story.

If you have any book selections you would like added to the list of books to be discussed please send me a pm.

Last Month

Last month we discussed The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood. If you missed last month and would like to read through it or add to it the link is here:

http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/27/155631/1.ashx

Thanks,

Jackie

• TheSilence
    TheSilence

By the way... the first month we had decent turnout taking into account it was the first month and thrown together somewhat quickly. Last month there did not seem to be much interest. I will give this 6 months good effort because when I brought the idea up there was much support of it. However, if, by then, we don't have much participation I will assume no one is interested ;)

Thanks,

Jackie

• SnakesInTheTower
    SnakesInTheTower

sounds like homework...j/k!....i just finished my second english lit class...and hopefully last for awhile...LOL..though a book club thread is a hell of a lot cheaper...

i just checked out Glass Castleat the library..hope to get it read in the next week or two after finals...

I only get a couple of weeks break before summer classes start... LOL

Snakes ()

• TheSilence
    TheSilence
    i just checked out Glass Castleat the library

Hi, Snakes,

I think you will really enjoy it given your appreciation for biographies. Jeanette Walls takes a bleak situation and really shows that she took something positive from it.

Enjoy!

Jackie

• TheSilence
    TheSilence

shameless bump.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit