Embarrassing JW Parents-How 'bout U?

by ashitaka 8 Replies latest jw friends

• ashitaka
    ashitaka

So, what horrible or just plain silly thing have you guys experienced under the thumb of JW parents?

I'll relate one-

There was a time the 7th grade had won a contest for something. The teachers thought it would be a good idea to get us all a movie (reel to reel movie) and show it in the auditorium. They chose Bill and Ted's Bogus Journey. Now, that's rather benign, isn't it?

Well, my brilliant father decides to show his spiritual purity by calling the school and shutting down the reward movie. I don't know hwo the kids found out, perhaps from two teachers talking, but I never heard the end of that one. Absolute ridicule. And middle schoolers aren't known for their mercy.

Just something small I remembered tonight. It's not really horrible, but at the time it was life-ending. That year my father banned all fantasy books, green striped shirts(I kid you not), anything with lettering on it (because it was worldly), even backpacks with labels. Some crackass elder had said something to him----oy.

ashi

• Englishman
    Englishman

When Her Ladyship and I got married, we had a packed reception. Loads of friends and relatives, my parents were the only dubs present.

My Dad stood up to make a speech - everyone was sozzled - and urged everybody to become JW's! My missus was astonished, everyone else listened open-mouthed in amazement.

Talk about a wet blanket!

Englishman.

Nostalgia isn't what it used to be....

• openminded
    openminded

I always enjoyed sitting in the library alone while the ENTIRE school was in the gym for the Christmas presentation(even the librarian was in the gym).

As kids would file past the library door, I could see them looking at me with their "what the hell are you doing" face. It felt good to stand up for Jehovah.

Or getting invited to school dances by girls and always making up lame excuses like, "uh, well, I, uh, can't, you see my uh, grandparents are uh, coming up from out-a-state, and uh, my parents really want me around for this thing , so uh, maybe next time"

My entire childhood was this way. I cant even stand my parents now. They make me sick.

• ashitaka
    ashitaka

Hear that....my in-laws were much more evil than my parents ever were...

• DIM
    DIM

i'm almost 25 years old and my mom never fails to belittle my entire life or criticize some aspect of it that she doesn't agree with.

i'm sick and tired of hearing things from uptight-short-sighted-narrow minded hypocritics. all i want is the truth just gimme some truth - John Lennon

• rhett
    rhett

Not really JW parental stupidity but I once got into an arguement with my dad about curfew. I wanted to be home at 11 one night and he was dead set on arguing for me to get home at 11. Yes, its the same time. I have no clue what he had been smoking that night...........

I don't need to fight
    To prove I'm right
    I don't need to be forgiven.

• AMarie
    AMarie

When I was about 18, I was still living at home and still a dub. I had a car and my 16 year old sister, Lara, didn't so she was always borrowing mine.

One Friday night, she and two of her JW friends wanted to go to a worldly party but had no way of getting there. Of course, she made up a pretty good lie about where she was going to tell my mother but leaked the truth to me. After twenty minutes of hearing her beg, I finally agreed to let her use it with one stipulation: If she were to drive my car, she could not drink anything at that party and if mom found out where she was, I didn't know anything about where she was going. So off she goes.

Well, my mom decideds to stay up and wait for my sister to get home that night. At three o'clock, Lara and her two friend come stumbling in and her two friends are totally wasted, puking all over the place. Instead of keeping my name out of the conversation, Lara tells mom that I knew where she was going to take some of the heat off of herself.

At age eighteen, I was ground for a full month and couldn't leave the house on weekends or after work.

• WhatNow
    WhatNow

When I was a senior in High School, I was voted onto the homecoming queen ballot. It was quite an honor for a quiet little J-dub who was never used to any kind of attention...who's mother never hugged her, told her she was pretty, or said "I love you".

When I found out that my fellow class mates had voted me along with a few other of the pretty and popular girls, I was on cloud nine. I went home and said something to my dad. My mom was out of town at some friends' house. When she came home that weekend and found out, she demanded that I go right into school on Monday (or she would) and tell the counselor that I didn't want to be a part of the whole homecoming thing. She made me feel terrible, as if I was the one who had done something wrong. I had a heck of a time trying to explain to the school why I had to be removed from the ballot and not have an option of being voted homecoming queen.

Many of my class mates asked me why my name wasn't on the second ballot and I had to reitirate my story again and again. Of course I couldn't simply blame my mom. No, I had to take the high road and all of the 'blame'.

It was quite a blow to my ego not to mention embarassing. My goodness, it wasn't even anything of my doing. Much of my life I have been told by many people that I'm pretty, but because of all of the negative reinforcement when I was young, I never believed it.

My "payback" for all of this negativity?

I now have a daughter. She's 10 years old. There's hardly a day that goes by that I don't tell her I love her and how beautiful she is. I am so blessed to have her in my life and I'm determined that she grows up with the confidence that she is beautiful both inside and out.

My mom? She's still a cold-hearted J-Dub, not speaking to me, of course (I'm DF'd). Never could please her. And Daddy just follows her trail, no mind of his own. She's missing out on her grandchildren, (my daughter and her two brothers 15 and 20) but not because I hold them back...it's simply because she hasn't changed. Her standards are too high for ANYONE to meet.

Moral of this story: We can't control our past, but we can control our future. Only YOU can break the 'cycle' of [mental, physical or emotional] abuse.

• Sam Beli
    Sam Beli

Hello everyone,

I am old enough to be a grandparent (several times over), yet I just got a letter from my JW dad demanding to know why I am not doing anything in the “truth.” Further, he wants to know why I prefer to spend my time with “apostates” rather than “Jehovah’s people?”

He is nearly the age of many GB members and he still treats me like a naughty little 10 year old. Come to think of it, his treatment of me is much like the GB’s treatment the R & F JW.

Sam Beli

I have seen all the works which have been done under the sun, and behold, all is vanity and striving after wind. What is crooked cannot be straightened and what is lacking cannot be counted. Solomon

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit