Since JW's Believe in Re-Creation...

by bavman 6 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• bavman
    bavman

As we know JW's believe in Re-Creation based on the appearances of Jesus after his death and resurrection. Jesus appeared in different bodies but had the same personality and power. It would only take a short time of being around the re-created Jesus to be able to tell it was him.

My question is what do JW's believe consciousness is? I believe it is probably that it is simply the brain's connections firing but not anything else, such as our soul. Pretty much a scientific view (correct me if I am wrong).

My next question then is this. Is re-creation even possible? If Jesus appeared in different bodies and presumably had different brains how could he have the same memories and personality?

• VoidEater
    VoidEater

What do you mean by consciousness? The state of being awake? The effect of being aware of one's own existence? Your thoughts and feelings? Personal identity?

In the JW context, it seems that consciousness is mostly related to personality. When growing up in the 60's, there was a lot of talk about how we are not human "beings", and this part of consciousness was ignored. Later, I seem to recall an article (perhaps my first experience of New Light) that begrudgingly admitted that human "being" could be used to describe us.

I like that other religious thought has grappled with this - as a piece of Holy Spirit within us, as an extension of the Ground of Consciousness. But I've never seen the subject dealt with in any detail by the WTS.

• bavman
    bavman

What do you mean by consciousness? The state of being awake? The effect of being aware of one's own existence? Your thoughts and feelings? Personal identity?

In the JW context, it seems that consciousness is mostly related to personality.

Yes, all of this is what I mean. I called the 'society' to find out the answer. Might as well get it from the horses mouth eh? They said that it would be no problem to re-create since our cells are replenishing every 7 or 8 years or so anyway. We are in a sense 'already being re-created' often. I asked if the brain was like this as well. He didn't know, but I did look it up when I got home. It would seem new research is pointing to the brain being able to replenish cells as well. http://mentalhealth.about.com/library/weekly/aa121399.htm

I guess from what I can tell it would indeed be possible for re-creation to take place as long as you can believe God would do this.

• xjwms
    xjwms

DEEP Thoughts

Remember the SNL skit.....Deep Thoughts

PM me with your phone number we should talk.

thanks

• VM44
    VM44

Suppose one has a very expensive antique Ming Vase.

And suppose using some technology not yet invented, the Ming vase could be scanned with every aspect of its physical structure being recorded right down to the atomic level.

Then one day an accident occurs! The Ming vase had fallen to the floor and smashed into a thousand pieces!

But the memory of the vase still exists, and so using another piece of not yet invented technology, this memory is used to re-create a Ming vase exact to the atomic level in all details with respect to the original vase.

Now, here is the question, Is the re-created Ming vase the same as the original Ming vase?

Could one rightfully sell the re-created Ming vase as an original? or would that be illegal?

• Leolaia
    Leolaia
    *** ct chap. 4 pp. 63-65 How Unique You Are! ***

Consciousness, says one definition, is "the perception of what passes in a man’s own mind." Modern researchers have made great strides in understanding the physical makeup of the brain and some of the electrochemical processes that occur in it. They can also explain the circuitry and functioning of an advanced computer. However, there is a vast difference between brain and computer. With your brain you are conscious and are aware of your being, but a computer certainly is not. Why the difference?

Frankly, how and why consciousness arises from physical processes in our brain is a mystery. "I don’t see how any science can explain that," one neurobiologist commented. Also, Professor James Trefil observed: "What, exactly, it means for a human being to be conscious . . . is the only major question in the sciences that we don’t even know how to ask." One reason why is that scientists are using the brain to try to understand the brain. And just studying the physiology of the brain may not be enough. Consciousness is "one of the most profound mysteries of existence," observed Dr. David Chalmers, "but knowledge of the brain alone may not get [scientists] to the bottom of it."

Nonetheless, each of us experiences consciousness. For example, our vivid memories of past events are not mere stored facts, like computer bits of information. We can reflect on our experiences, draw lessons from them, and use them to shape our future. We are able to consider several future scenarios and evaluate the possible effects of each. We have the capacity to analyze, create, appreciate, and love. We can enjoy pleasant conversations about the past, present, and future. We have ethical values about behavior and can use them in making decisions that may or may not be of immediate benefit. We are attracted to beauty in art and morals. In our mind we can mold and refine our ideas and guess how other people will react if we carry these out.

Such factors produce an awareness that sets humans apart from other life-forms on earth. A dog, a cat, or a bird looks in a mirror and responds as if seeing another of its kind. But when you look in a mirror, you are conscious of yourself as a being with the capacities just mentioned.

The last statement is plainly false. The NGC program "Human Ape" showed precisely that our closest primate relatives have the same ability. Here is segment devoted to the mirror test and how apes perform:

http://channel.nationalgeographic.com/episode/human-ape-3173/Overview#tab-Videos/05144_00

• VM44
    VM44

"One reason why is that scientists are using the brain to try to understand the brain."

Some computer language compilers are written in the very same (computer) language that they translate! They are self-compiling. How the language "works", how it is implemented, can be understood by reading the compiler source code in the very same language.

So using our brains to try to understand the brain might not be an impossible task.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit