"Congregation Bible Study" - Name Change probably money motivated

by Meeting Junkie No More 8 Replies latest jw friends

• Meeting Junkie No More
    Meeting Junkie No More

Ok, just to beat this topic to death, I think the real reason for the Book Study amalgamation is actually the name change to Congregation Bible Study.

There's got to be a gazillion Catholic, Protestant, Presbyterian, Anglican, Methodist, United etc. churches that have Alpha courses and Bible study nights. And some light bulb has gone off in Brooklyn so that the so-called Governing Body has finally caught on that they are the only religion without an actual 'Bible' study meeting. There is the Watchtower study, the Theocraptic Misery school, the Serve Us meeting, but nothing actually called a 'Bible' study. With the amalgamation slated to take effect in 2009, they will probably qualify for some government handout to any religion promoting 'Bible' anything - whether that be education or whatever...but without any meeting actually called 'Bible' something, they would be hard-pressed to qualify for any of the cash. Gas, my ass!

• martinwellborne
    martinwellborne

Good point, well made

• Meeting Junkie No More
    Meeting Junkie No More

Why, thank you! I thought no one had noticed....

• Robert7
    Robert7

I agree. I used to call it 'bible study' to friends and coworkers for this exact reason. 'Book study' just seemed too cultish...

• The Lone Ranger
    The Lone Ranger

As someone who still go's to meeting regularly and talks and associates with the other JW”s, I think the reason for the removal of the book study is that the WTS has realized that the R&F have had enough and can’t keep going to all these meetings, the Book Study is the least attended of all the meetings.

The 5 meetings arrangement was thought of about 50 years ago a time when just the man of the house would work, and the children needed only basic school, so there was lots of spare time to go to these 5 meetings, but today both Man and Woman need to work just to make ends meet and what was considered to be basic school isn’t basic enough anymore, children need more education just to get the same job. Something’s got to give and it was the book study that gave in.

• hamilcarr
    hamilcarr
    they will probably qualify for some government handout to any religion promoting 'Bible' anything

Do you know of any such handout?

• Burger Time
    Burger Time

Yea unless I am missing something you can't just say, "bible study" and get a hand out from the government. I know some cognitive dissonance is kicking in for some on this issue, but it could just be the Governing Body was actually thinking of people on this decision.

• yadda yadda 2
    yadda yadda 2

Well, there is the 'home bible study' when a JW is studying with an interested person, and JW's are frequently encouraged to do their 'personal bible study', but that's not really what you meant.

• JWdaughter
    JWdaughter

The only time I remember anything remotely like a Bible Study was when we went through the (WT) book "James" back in the 70s or early 80's. It missed out on really being one, since they led you by the nose, but it was a systematic 'study' of the book of James, albeit slightly (!) unbalanced. OTOH, it wasn't the worst, and might have been one of the more interesting times at the meeting. They missed on the faith/works thing, but it seemed as if someone wanted to make sure we read the actual book, which was good (It was a great base for me when I finally left, since I had read and questioned some of it already). Now if they could do that with the rest of the epistles and such!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit