Venting about new BS arrangement

by Nosferatu 8 Replies latest jw friends

• Nosferatu
    Nosferatu

When I was a teenager (especially when I wanted out of the org) I made up excuses to miss the meetings. I always made sure I brought home lots of notebooks, textbooks, etc so it looked like I had a load of homework to do on meeting nights. I sat on my bed doing my homework (or writing in my journal) just to get out of another night at the meeting (this didn't work on Sunday). I desperately needed relief from the burden a typical JW must carry.

Now, they've eliminated one of those nights, and it kinda pisses me off.

I was in for 13 years which means I wasted somewhere around 676 hours at the bookstudy (or faking having homework). Put them alltogether, and that's 28 days. That may not seem like much, but for someone who's been in the org for 40 years, it would come out to 86 days or roughly 3 months. And that's just for the one hour bookstudy, nevermind the time it takes to get dressed for it, drive there, socializing afterward, and driving home.

Just thinking about all that wasted time pisses me off. And even though the entire JW experience was a waste of time, the fact that they NOW decide to eliminate the BS makes it seem more like a complete waste.

• LovesDubs
    LovesDubs

Just think what those people who dragged their a$$es to assemblies that lasted all DAY for 8-9 DAYS felt like when they had lost their jobs because of the assembly...or worse....and then found out the Borg dropped the Dist Ass to 4 then three days?

• Nosferatu
    Nosferatu

Yeah, I would've been friggin mad about that one too.

If time was money, I'd want a refund.

• Gayle
    Gayle

Over 1,500 Tuesday evenings wasted for me!

• LovesDubs
    LovesDubs

By the way...the more we came to hate the meetings the more inventive we get eh? :) When I was pregnant with my third child in 1995, I used my "evening sickness" as an excuse not to go. And I had the Book Study at MY HOUSE and STILL didnt go!! LOLOL! I would take the baby monitor I had and put one end of it in the living room and the other one in my bedroom and listen to the study...sort of LOL! Id have a miraculous recovery in time to join them for coffee and snacks tho LOL! When I was at the HALL I would go spend most of it in the mothers room, nursing my baby. My my what a hungry little whipper snapper :)

• Rocky_Girl
    Rocky_Girl

I did the same thing when I was pregnant and taking care of kidlets. It was so sweet of the other "non-mommy" sisters to come back and offer to help so I could sit through part of the meeting, unfortunately my babies were "very" attached to me and wouldn't go to anyone else. I would let my Dad help sometimes though, since he seemed as bored as I was.

• yadda yadda 2
    yadda yadda 2

Ahh but you would be pissed off wouldn't you seeing as your a raving apostate lol

• cab1000
    cab1000

I know what you mean, I feel like that too. Now that were out, it really doesn't matter, but when we were in, for so many years, we "had" to go to that crappy little meeting. While I was growing up, our home hosted the BS for many years, which made it even worse.

Our family was the type that had to "study" the lessons before the meeting. So we would have to go through the lesson twice. And, just to make it that much better, our BS seemed to consist of the most Elderly and most Faithful bunch. This means boring, and consistent, week after week. And, if only ONE person showed up for the BS, that meant that the show must go on, and we basically had a second family study, with the addition of one other person, usually a dull, elderly person.

Now that its going away, I too feel "jipped" that now the "faithful" won't have to sit through that crap. I mean, they should have to go to get their ticket to "paradise". The bar is being lowered. Whats next?

Ok, I vented too...

• mkr32208
    mkr32208

Well we had the BS in our house for years so we also had to meticulously clean the house every tuesday... I guess thats a good thing but still!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit